Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

5-10 min freeze linked to locked frames and not unlimited?

Is there a connection between using locked framerates and getting the 5-10 minute screen freeze randomly in flights? I had not set my fps back to unlimited and had a freeze for 8 minutes an hour into my flight from KLAX to VHHH. I remember pmdg recommends setting affinity mask to 14 no matter your cpu but I believe this can fix the freezing and you don't have to use a different AM setting in the cfg file.

I have been flying previously and not seen the freezing using unlimited framerates in fsx:acceleration

Before this last flight I had forgot I set the fps locked to 30 for smooth flying in a smaller GA aircraft -David Lee

I have never seen this in either FSX or P3DV3.

Affinity Mask settings are definitely processor dependent, and may also be affected by other running software (usually more applicable to home cockpit builders and those who are streaming).  Affinity Mask settings are pretty easy to understand. For more information, please see the links provided in THIS POST.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have never seen this in either FSX or P3DV3.

Affinity Mask settings are definitely processor dependent, and may also be affected by other running software (usually more applicable to home cockpit builders and those who are streaming).  Affinity Mask settings are pretty easy to understand. For more information, please see the links provided in THIS POST.

Best wishes!

Except PMDG recommend a specific Affinity Mask setting regardless of your processor when you suffer freezing in flight. - David Lee

Well, that was written years ago before the Haswell (and lster) processors were out and the wide spread use of AF. For instance, I don't use AF at with my processor as it manages processor threads better (by design) than me forcing it to something. Another example is 6 core procesdors. Stick an AF setting of 14 on a six core, and, well, go learn about AF for yourself and tell me how that would work.

I guess what I'm saying is to be VERY careful about what advice you take. Find out when it was written and the background of the person who gave it before blindly taking it.

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yesterday I was 4 hours into my flight from LAX to HKG when the freeze happened.

Today I made sure my fps was set to unlimited not locked at 30 and completed an almost 14 hour flight SFO HKG

This weekend I will do the LAX HKG routing again but I wonder if I was right regarding locking fps causing this freezing on my system.

I know that Affinity Mask setting is old but PMDG still recommend it late last year when I contacted support they told me to try AM=14 even though I have a 6 core i7

That did fix the freezing, but I had locked fps. Now I use unlocked fps, and AM=1364. No freezing so far. - David Lee