Sign in to follow this  
Ashatsea

Upgraded system to a i7 6700k and GTX 1080

I have been browsing the forum for a while and reading your advice on system builds and wanted to give feed back on your tips and information from mine.

I just built an i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro (decided to upgrade on it's own late at night. I guess as the PC's owner I don't have a say :smile: ) and 32GB of G.Skill ram. The improvements in Prepar3d v3.3 are absolutely mind blowing. With a fresh install no add on's I saw an average of 100 FPS ground/air. I loaded up the new Aerosoft's Frankfurt, Prepar3d Sliders midway to high, HIFI, ASN, PMDG 777, ORBX Global and Vector and was getting an average FPS of 60-70.  I could have never hoped in my life I would see results like this with all the additional add ons running. Been simming for over 20 years and 6 personal builds and never seen a speed increase like this before. I was expecting to have to go into the high heat range to get these results. I am not a professional computer wiz or hold a certification just my two cents and probably late to the party of smoothness.

Thank you to all the informative posts and information in the forum!

• Upvote 4

Sounds good.

And is this with no overclocking yet?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

...i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro (decided to upgrade on it's own late at night. I guess as the PC's owner I don't have a say :smile: ) and 32GB of G.Skill ram.

Now, if my rig would just pay for and assemble itself in the same way I would forever be most appreciative. What a wonderful Birthday surprise that would be, which is highly appropriate since I have a birthday this year!

• Upvote 1

The improvements in Prepar3d v3.3 are absolutely mind blowing. W

That's fantastic news Ash!

I have the components for a similar build, in boxes, on my bedroom floor. STILL haven't built yet as I have just my bedroom to finish before I'm in a position to do so. Guess I'm about a week away hopefully.

Your post makes me very excited and anxious to get stuck in. Only difference is that I have 16 GB of GSkill Ripjaw V's and a 980Ti. And NH-D15S rather than the runny stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.  :smile:

Brilliant.

I am in the process of building a similar machine, only with a 1070 instead of a 1080. I am also moving from one to 3 screens, which should put a significantly heavier load on the GPU. Your report makes me confident that my new build should give me similar performance to my old build (2600K@4GHz, gtx 780) despite the increased screen real estate.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

T

Now, if my rig would just pay for and assemble itself in the same way I would forever be most appreciative. What a wonderful Birthday surprise that would be, which is highly appropriate since I have a birthday this year!

True...I would settle for it installing all of my add ons :smile:

Nice build and happy for you with those numbers and results.

I hope to have the same joy when I build my similar rig this fall.

Enjoy.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

I have been browsing the forum for a while and reading your advice on system builds and wanted to give feed back on your tips and information from mine.

I just built an i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro (decided to upgrade on it's own late at night. I guess as the PC's owner I don't have a say :smile: ) and 32GB of G.Skill ram. The improvements in Prepar3d v3.3 are absolutely mind blowing. With a fresh install no add on's I saw an average of 100 FPS ground/air. I loaded up the new Aerosoft's Frankfurt, Prepar3d Sliders midway to high, HIFI, ASN, PMDG 777, ORBX Global and Vector and was getting an average FPS of 60-70.  I could have never hoped in my life I would see results like this with all the additional add ons running. Been simming for over 20 years and 6 personal builds and never seen a speed increase like this before. I was expecting to have to go into the high heat range to get these results. I am not a professional computer wiz or hold a certification just my two cents and probably late to the party of smoothness.

ok, now load up Shadowplay and record and upload to Youtube and SHOW US!!!...that would be verrrry cool!

cant wait...I got the 1080...your vid could push me over the brink for an MSI gamer MOBO, 16-32GB ram and a sweet lil i-7-6700K

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Brilliant.

I am in the process of building a similar machine, only with a 1070 instead of a 1080. I am also moving from one to 3 screens, which should put a significantly heavier load on the GPU. Your report makes me confident that my new build should give me similar performance to my old build (2600K@4GHz, gtx 780) despite the increased screen real estate.

If I may follow up on my own post:

I completed setting up my three monitors using Nvidia surround (view groups had too much of a performance hit for me). It turns out that I am still very CPU bound, and even though I can turn up stuff like AA and shadows (and still only utilise 50-60% of my 1070), I still have to be quite restrictive on scenery detail. I need to limit my scenery to dense on all three sliders in order to remain mostly locked at 30 FPS with the 737ngx. Time for some overclocking...

Anyway, I'm guessing that any 1080 system will be similarly CPU limited for large displays without a significant overclocking.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

Thanks for the report. Can't wait. I already got the 6700k thing ready.

But the 1080.... was preordered on 27th May and I am still waiting (Thank you EVGA :diablo: ).

I guess I should just change my mind and get the first FE I find.

Ash is your EVGA 1080 a FE ?

just built an i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro (decided to upgrade on it's own late at night. I guess as the PC's owner I don't have a say :smile: ) and 32GB of G.Skill ram. The improvements in Prepar3d v3.3 are absolutely mind blowing.

What were your previous specifications? I'd like to put your improvements into perspective because I'm considering a similar move!

Nice GAIN. Love to see a Youtube of your machine at work.

What MOBO did you use and RAM.

I have a GTX970 and running AMD and am seriously considering a new build later this year.

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

I just built an i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Windows 10 Pro (decided to upgrade on it's own late at night. I guess as the PC's owner I don't have a say :smile: ) and 32GB of G.Skill ram. The improvements in Prepar3d v3.3 are absolutely mind blowing. With a fresh install no add on's I saw an average of 100 FPS ground/air. I loaded up the new Aerosoft's Frankfurt, Prepar3d Sliders midway to high, HIFI, ASN, PMDG 777, ORBX Global and Vector and was getting an average FPS of 60-70.

Again, I do not like to be the showstopper, but without ANY information on your previous setup, this is rather useless new piece of information. AND: without ANY information on the used settings (including resolution), also something like "60FPS on Aerosofts Frankfurt" is completely irrelevant. I can easily achieve this, but then my P3D looks worse than FS9. Why do I mention this at all? Because those FPS number surprise me like hell. I also use Aerosofts Frankfurt, along with FSGRW, Aerosofts A320, UT2 with 30% AI traffic, ORBX Global, REX and Vector and I am happy if I have more than 25FPS while taxiing in Frankfurt in cloudy weather conditions. And I use 1440p. But just to underline, what I mean: if you would use exactly the same settings, this would mean that you have 240% (!!!!) more FPS compared to my setup, which is simply not possible (I use an 3770K@4.5GHz with a 980Ti OC).

So, it would be really nice if you could provide:

- the old system information

- the resolution you currently use

- the precise settings (including antialiasing and nVinspector settings if used at all)

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I guess I should just change my mind and get the first FE I find.

Ash is your EVGA 1080 a FE ?

Don't do it. Be patent. You will only twist your extremely flexible, rubber-like legs backwards and kick you self in the gluteus maximus if you do. That will be when the non-reference cards with their superior overclocks and awesome coolers, not to mention top-notch VRM's are available.