Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

does xplane have 2 d pop up windows? and if not....

How does one go about installing a gps that's readable. In trying to get used to a region and its airports, I find a gps indispensable rather than charts on my desk.

I am flying the freeware dc9 without a gps, and the payware emb 120 with a gps so small in the VC that's practically unusable unless I zoom it way up, which then makes the rest of the panel unusable.

Unlike fsx, I find the airports in xplane difficult to spot from a distance, even a short distance.

tony

You can try Geminisoftware

http://www.geminisoftware.de/

being free. They have a X-Plane version which can be even used on a networked laptop (that's what I do).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I don't use either of those planes you've listed, but usually if the plane vendor has used the standard X-Plane GNS unit then you should get a 2D pop out when clicking on the "Glass" of the GPS unit.

As far as airports not being as visible, I'm sure I read somewhere that in real life airports aren't normally anywhere near as easy to spot as they are in FSX/P3D.

• Upvote 1

You can try Geminisoftware

http://www.geminisoftware.de/

being free. They have a X-Plane version which can be even used on a networked laptop (that's what I do).

Kind regards, Michael

Michael,  This GPS is the new Version from the old Payware one Appolsoftware  Yes ?   I tried it before but couldn't get it set up correctly,  When i input my destination and click Go,  The blue line "follow line" didn't show up.

Do you input your destination into the Planes GPS, Click Go and it shows up on the geminis GPS?

Or do you just input into the geminis GPS and it just works?  "follow line" 

You're right, that's the "freed" version of Apollo Airmap, which I was a customer of ages ago. The Apollo/Gemini story is certainly a twisted one, but would deviate off topic here.

Anyway, I use it for X-Plane and it just works (as I said even networked). I don't recall it has a "Go" function, but maybe I just didn't use it. I use it the simple way. It just connects, shows me my departue airport where I am sitting (including a nice airport diagram including taxiways/ramps...), follows my way not to get lost underway until the destination airport and helps me again to find my gate. That function of seeing your way within the aiport it a great advantage over Plan-G, IMHO.

I think it features a flightplan function, too, which I recall at least worked under Prepar3d, but I never tried this under X-Plane yet. For P3D I use this toy now: https://www.fs-flightcontrol.com/en/, being much more powerful.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

How does one go about installing a gps that's readable.

As Paul noted, any aircraft with the default GPS installed should be capable of displaying a 2D 'popup' version of the GPS by clicking with the mouse on the glass face. The 2D window may be moved around the screen, and it may also be closed by clicking in the top right corner of the 2D window.

However, it's very possible to add the GPS as a 2D popup to any X-Plane aircraft.  Here's a pretty good tutorial.

I've only done it on small aircraft, so I have no idea if or how it conflicts with aircraft that have a FMS installed, but it's always worked great for me.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Also note that you can set a key or joystick/yoke button to toggle the default popup GPS in the settings menu. I have it on the main trigger of my joystick, since I'm not shooting anything down in X-Plane.  :smile:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Unlike fsx, I find the airports in xplane difficult to spot from a distance, even a short distance.

In reality, airports are very difficult to spot. Altitude, atmospheric conditions all play a part. Navigation is your friend.

• Upvote 1

In reality, airports are very difficult to spot. Altitude, atmospheric conditions all play a part. Navigation is your friend.

agree 100% on this. Unless you are very familiar with the area or your base airport, you have a very hard time to spot them in real life until you are quite close. Specially flying VFR at low altitudes.

• Upvote 1

Manuel Merelles

Also note that you can set a key or joystick/yoke button to toggle the default popup GPS in the settings menu. I have it on the main trigger of my joystick, since I'm not shooting anything down in X-Plane.  :smile:

And it's also quite easy to add the default 430 or 530 as a pop-up to a plane which doesn't have one. It just takes a few klicks in Plane Maker. The procedure is explained here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/77414-how-to-add-the-new-arinc424-gns430530s-to-the-732/