Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

Increased Noise at Reagan National

This just in from the local news outlet:

http://wtop.com/alexandria/2016/06/va-residents-pack-meeting-increased-noise-near-airport/slide/1/

So there's been increased "noise" among the residents that live around DCA, or Washington Reagan National Airport, in Washington, DC.  Anyone who is familiar with this airport, it has been on the list as one of the more challenging airports to land at, in the world, due to it's complicated approach.  Since I live not far from this airport, I have taken plenty of trips there to planespot, and have enjoyed the feeling of standing beneath these birds as they take off and land.  As for the noise though, being that close, all of the aircraft are loud, some more than others.  Residents are complaining that the noise has increased and want something done about it.

I have a suspicion though that a lot of the residents have not lived there before DCA was built, so it is pretty much a no-brainer that if you live near an airport, you're gonna get noise.  Now as far as how to enforce noise abatement procedures, I believe the FAA has done all it can.  Since 9/11, I know take-offs and approaches changed a bit, but really, what more can you do about an airport that is situated where it is AND please the public so they don't complain about the sounds of aircraft passing overhead?

Enter the NextGen Plan.  In short, the plan is designed to increase traffic earlier in the morning and later at night, along with transferring from radar-based traffic control to satellite based.

This doesn't sound good at all...no pun intended.

So the FAA could route the traffic along the river longer, supposedly reducing the noise.  not sure if that'll complicate matters for the pilots but if you ask me, there will still be noise.

Here's my take on it.  No one forced anyone to live where they do.  If quality of life is at the heart of the matter, then move.  As long as DCA is still open for business, you'll keep getting aircraft traffic.  What I really think is happening, is that the residents would love to see DCA closed for good.  Then, open it up for more housing and business.  We have KIAD and KBWI not far from KDCA, so it's a horse a piece to split the traffic up.

On a related note, I live not far from KIAD and I have planes zipping by all the time.  I still sleep like a baby.

• Upvote 3

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Well, I suppose Old Town Alexandria has gentrified and the current residents don't like the noise and have the political pull to do something about it.  As far as the Fairfax pol complaining, not sure how really impacted Fairfax would be, Mount Vernon maybe, but not as bad as Fairfax under Dulles flight paths.

scott s.

This kind of thing annoys me over here on this side of the pond too.

People move next to an airport then have the unmitigated GALL! to complain about the noise. I'm with the OP on this one.

Hey, disgruntled resident - give me the keys to your house! I'll swap! :)

I used to work at BAe Warton. The joke there was that there was only one, yes ONE person still alive who could legitimately complain about the noise, and he was an elderly local farmer who lived in the locality before Warton was even constructed as a satellite airfield for Squires Gate (Blackpool airport), before Warton even became BAD 2 for the USAAF!

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/place/398

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Well we do follow the river until basically over the park! But the what happens is to increase the capacity, the tower asks "are you able runway 15" (or 33) and that changes the pattern a bit. 

Then again, I'm flying a maddog, one of the loudest birds out there right now. So apologies in advance!

• Upvote 1

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Same thing has happened around several other airports following implementation of the NextGen system. It allows/provides for shallower approaches as well as quicker turns after takeoff, which because they are sooner they are at lower altitudes and also now those quicker turns take them over areas not often affected previously.  

Baltimore-Washington airport has been in the recent news for the same.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I can not understand why people choose to live near an airport, then have the need to complain about the noise. I currently live in East Hampton, NY and the residents who live near HTO constantly complain about all of the jets and helicopters that land throughout the day. It has gotten so bad that the town put a curfew in place for aircraft they consider "Noisy". I do not think that the residents understand the importance of aviation and how much revenue it generates. Sorry if I went off topic, but anytime I hear complaints about aircraft noise, I get irritated!

• Upvote 1

National was supposed to be closed after Dulles was completed. The politicians didn't want to travel all the way to Dulles so it remained open.

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

to be honest the subject about noise aggravates the hell out of me , i wish i had the authority to seat by the door during boarding and ask every passenger .have you ever complained about noise ???? if yes go to the grayhound station  .... why move so close to the airport if you knew you hated noise ????? its like buying a house by the ocean when you know you hate water and your trying to get the authorities to cover the ocean with dirt ......

• Upvote 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Many people buy into an area near an airport because of the slightly lower property costs, then feel entitled to whine about the noise. :Whistle:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

NextGen is a scam.  Just a means for the FAA to get money, get bloated and pis$ money into the wind.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

Haha Dreamflight so true! When buying property around an airport, you should be well informed about the possibility of noise from aircraft. Even with noise abatements, its impossible for you to have silence.

Yea, you should visit a place morning noon and night to get an idea of the area you are trying to buy. Noise procedures are a pain because certain countries have different procedures for flying in and out. I flew a DC10 into EDDF one early morning and they had this NOTAM about no reverse thrust during certain hours. I laughed and put all three to max reverse after touch down. I've seen procedures in Athens requesting a delayed configuration and accel to a certain altitude if possible. I noticed that even the manufacturers are creating procedures to satisfy noise complaints. I remember being kicked out of the pattern at KACY many times in the evenings during my military days in the KC10. How else are you supposed to get night landing requirements done.... I know people mention sims, one of my dislikes at recurrent sims is all the night time work. It's always cold inside the sim and it's dark because of the low vis and night profiles. The sim guys always say, sorry, its an FAA thing. Oops, I'm off track. Anyway, these noise procedures definitely can get you in trouble when weighing safety vs complying with a noise procedure. 

In the heavies, I would routinely tell ATC that I can either meet a noise procedure or the DP, not both. I remember getting slammed to the marker because they wanted you fast and clean going into EDDF. Suddenly you had to work hard to slow and configure in a short distance/time frame. Our unit used to get noise fines mailed in all the time lol. Bottom line is that jet engines are noisy. So living near an airport is noisy. As someone mentioned earlier, the same people complaining about noise are the same ones jet setting all the time.

• Upvote 1

entitled

This hit the nail right on the head and can be used to describe nearly every aspect of life nowadays.  The past couple generations should be called "the entitled generation".  Add to that, the "it's not our fault generation" and "there's someone else to blame generation".

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I live < 2 miles from EIDW, and there is nothing sexier than hearing a take-off run ;)

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I have lived near airports in the past and never had a problem. One was an Air Force base with lots of action. The old Sea Kings used to fly over my house at low altitude during my mornings, you could watch them with your morning coffee. I also lived near Wellington Airport and the 6:00 am flights would wake me for a moment but I would fall back asleep. Never noticed the noise after that as you get used to it.

If I could afford to buy this control tower I would:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6031723/Control-tower-a-plane-spotters-dream

It is located on a residential street outside of airport property. They are now building a replacement

Matthew Kane