Sign in to follow this  
A32xx

Payout of $10,000 for Windows 10 update

Reported on the BBC News website today, form an orderly queue all you Windows 10 sufferers:

Payout of $10,000 for Windows 10 update

Microsoft has agreed to pay a Californian woman $10,000 (£7,500) after an automatic Windows 10 update left her computer unusable.

Teri Goldstein said her Windows 7 computer had automatically tried to update itself to Windows 10 without her permission.

She said the update had made her machine unstable, leaving her unable to use it to run her business.

Microsoft said it had dropped its appeal to save on legal costs.

Microsoft has been aggressively pushing the latest version of its widely used operating system, which is currently available as a free download for computers running Windows 7 and 8.

However, many people have chosen not to upgrade, because they are running old hardware, have software that does not run on Windows 10, are concerned over the software's tracking features, or simply do not want it.

In February, the company bundled Windows 10 in with its security updates and made it a "recommended update", which meant it was automatically downloaded and installed unless blocked by the user.

Some people accused the company of trying to "trick" customers into installing the update.

The Seattle Times reported that Ms Goldstein's computer had "slowed to a crawl" after the update, and Microsoft customer support had not fixed the problem.

"I had never heard of Windows 10. Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update," she told the newspaper.

• Upvote 2

Excellent!

A pity she had not heard of this bit of software :( 

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

It's really kinda BS they are pushing it so hard. I'll stick with 7

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I've seen this forced update happen way too much - almost everyone I know who uses PC have told me to look out for this.

Hmm... maybe I should try that GWX tool!

are concerned over the software's tracking features

If I upgrade, I'm actually not that concerned about them collecting data on how many times I open an app; I just want to know if the keystroke logger from the beta is still in there or not, lol

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

With the OP's story,  MS has admitted it has screwed people over with their update strategy!  It really fries me they are so brazen with this update BS, essentially operating at the same level as those that seek to ransom-ware your system.

I have seen this auto install happen on my wife's laptop.  She is not a computer wiz in any sense though she knows enough to deny the Win 10 update, which she's done on several occasions.  Then one evening a few weeks ago she shut off her computer only to be soon greeted by a "Installing Win10" screen.  I was there and immediately forced a power off (even though they warned not to do that).  Luckily on power up it came up into Win 7 and I was able to remove all that WIn 10 update "excrement" and all has been well with her laptop since them.

For those that say "why are you afraid of Win 10":  My wife is 100% happy with her laptop, and the last thing I need is "something new" on her laptop for which she will complain about to me.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I have the same problem..... :smile: .  A happy wife is a happy life. Install the GWX Control Panel linked in post #2 above and never worry about that Windows-10-popup-thingie again. Worked for me......

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Different mileage for everyone....I updated my old PC and have had no problems.....my wife updated her MUCH newer laptop and has had no end of problems....

I can see Win10 is a better operating system than W8 and even my old beloved W7 but forced updates (personally) don't think are the way to go.

Windows XP ...... haven't had a problem with any of it ..... nuff said. (for now)

Given that she is getting 10K, I don't think it's a pitty at all...

No, she was awarded $10k. She stated that she lost $17 in business. That doesn't seem like a very good tradeoff. So now she's only down about $7k...

If she'd have installed and use GWX Console, she'd have lost no business at all, for a clear win (pun intended).

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Win 10 imo is a problem software and handled badly by MS. People are seeing it as an inevitable update at some point, caving in under pressure and constant nagging and installing it. It's not so, there will be a Win 11 and hopefully MS have learned by their Win 10 mistakes. I'm using Win 7, no intention on ever going to a Win 10 for many reasons. Win 11 may be an option, we will see. If you're using anything other than 10, no need to rush into Win 10 at all if ever.

Mark Daniels

After vascillating for months I bit the bullet and hit the W10 Download button from MS site 3 days ago.. I run on a low speed broadband and have maximum download / upload limits. Before downloading I pulled the ethernet wire out and linked to router via wifi as I read that the MS system will allow options to stop peer to peer links if connected by wifi ,but not by cable.

I started download at 1am expecting that when I awoke I would see a message to execute a file.. On awakening I discover the installation was underway,,, so much for the speel about nominating when to queue for installation to begin.

In the installation process, a window gave me the options to cancel out of peer to peer exchanges, which I did.

On completion I looked in Settings and discovered my instruction was simply ignored and so I altered the settings manually so as MS gets no info from me nor any peer to peer data flows occur.( why should I be expected to pay for others installations).

End result.. Cant see any real justification in having installed W10 into a stand alone PC.

Minor carrots in the package .e.g. gives live news updates in the Start menu and some other flashy bits n pieces.

BUT it uses more RAM than W7.. looks like it eats up approx 1.8 - 2gb just for the privilege of sitting and staring at the screen doing nothing at all.

All my saitek hardware worked ok on W7. In W10, FSX still works ok but land texturing is noticeably slower... Saitek FIP panels took a couple of attempts to display correctly but eventually did as did the Multi panel LED display. Initially it did not display the LEDs and I got it working by pulling the multipanel USB cable out and replugging to force a kick start. It worked and after half dozen times it now seems to start ok. There are web threads about this issue.. a problem with Power Management.

Biggest issue for me.. In W7 I could use ADE and FSDS from my own account. In W10 you can only use these from Run as Administrator option. Plus, when making changes to saitek direct output xml files you have to swap accounts..e.g. making changes to the scripting for FIP gauges.   In your own account if you are the administrator it will have 'Administrator' written under your name. That is confusing as its not the actual Administrator account. You have to close and re-open the HIDDEN Administrator account in W10, plough down through your username directory to relevant work folder, make changes and it then allows you to save changes to the xml files... (google opening HIDDEN Administrator account in W10)

All in all I would say the only advantage to having W10 is if the PC is going to last past the end of MS W7 security updates then it would pay to have it as the PC could end up exposed to malicious intent.

No, she was awarded $10k. She stated that she lost $17 in business. That doesn't seem like a very good tradeoff. So now she's only down about $7k...If she'd have installed and use GWX Console, she'd have lost no business at all, for a clear win (pun intended).

I highly doubt she lost anything...

Win 10 imo is a problem software and handled badly by MS. People are seeing it as an inevitable update at some point, caving in under pressure and constant nagging and installing it. It's not so, there will be a Win 11 and hopefully MS have learned by their Win 10 mistakes. I'm using Win 7, no intention on ever going to a Win 10 for many reasons. Win 11 may be an option, we will see. If you're using anything other than 10, no need to rush into Win 10 at all if ever.

Forceful methods aside, I don't think there is anything wrong at all with Windows 10...

It is very amusing to read these posts, as they repeat, and repeat, and repeat throughout pretty much all versions of windows...

You basically have the haters that criticize just for the sake of criticizing, then the ones from those scared or reluctant of change, then the ignorant and that that don't care to learn anything, etc...

I challenge you to do a bit of googling and search for older posts in forums about people hating Windows 7, which is now what all the Win 10 haters say is "the best"..

It's a never ending cycle...

• Upvote 2

I challenge you to do a bit of googling and search for older posts in forums about people hating Windows 7, which is now what all the Win 10 haters say is "the best"..

It's a never ending cycle...

I challenge you to get an entire assortment of software running for me which could be run on every Win version back as far as Win 98 that can no longer can be run on Win 10. There are good reasons to make suggestion to avoid Win 10 besides the need to create Win 10 'hate' posts. Maybe some googling might help???

Mark Daniels

I challenge you to get an entire assortment of software running for me which could be run on every Win version back as far as Win 98 that can no longer can be run on Win 10. There are good reasons to make suggestion to avoid Win 10 besides the need to create Win 10 'hate' posts. Maybe some googling might help???

Yes, googling might help. If you do you will find these exact same arguments made for every

Windows release ever...

Now regarding the point about software going back to working on windows 98, well that is simply ridiculous...