Sign in to follow this  
A32xx

Payout of $10,000 for Windows 10 update

Now regarding the point about software going back to working on windows 98, well that is simply ridiculous...

Yeah, sorry, stupid me, made a mistake. Up until 6 months or so ago I was running a film scanner with software created to run on Win 95 not Win 98. No way for the first time since the mid 90's to run the scanner after I loaded it on a Win 10 machine. Let's not even start on things like games. There are reasons people are still using operating systems like XP and they do make for some pretty good reasons.

There are legitimate cases you can build against any operating system depending on your needs. The majority of PC users do not have a very good understanding of PC's so will always go with the latest and the greatest OS. It allows MS to continue to put out anything knowing it will likely succeed. It doesn't mean it is any good just because the masses end up using it.

To just come in with the "I've seen it all before" attitude and suggest any negative aspects mentioned are a waste of internet bandwidth is a pretty arrogant attitude.

You know what? I've read plenty of posts like yours too and just like my style of post doesn't do anything for you, your style of post doesn't do anything for me! lol

• Upvote 2

Mark Daniels

I had put out a heads up post on this type of stuff a while ago. Interesting to see Microsoft paying actual dollars because of it. http://www.avsim.com/topic/482870-microsoft-pushes-windows-10-as-%E2%80%98recommended%E2%80%99-windows-update/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yeah, sorry, stupid me, made a mistake. Up until 6 months or so ago I was running a film scanner with software created to run on Win 95 not Win 98. No way for the first time since the mid 90's to run the scanner after I loaded it on a Win 10 machine. Let's not even start on things like games. There are reasons people are still using operating systems like XP and they do make for some pretty good reasons.

There are legitimate cases you can build against any operating system depending on your needs. The majority of PC users do not have a very good understanding of PC's so will always go with the latest and the greatest OS. It allows MS to continue to put out anything knowing it will likely succeed. It doesn't mean it is any good just because the masses end up using it.

To just come in with the "I've seen it all before" attitude and suggest any negative aspects mentioned are a waste of internet bandwidth is a pretty arrogant attitude.

You know what? I've read plenty of posts like yours too and just like my style of post doesn't do anything for you, your style of post doesn't do anything for me! lol

Exactly... I'm not gonna convince you that it's just a bunch of whiners, and you're not gonna convince me that it's not stubbornness that makes you hold on to a 20+ year-old software and device for a y serious work...

There is no reason to hold on to xp except to keep playing 20 year-old games. If that's your thing good (in fact Icollect old computers and consoles), but from there to always suggest the latest version of windows is "bad"

Just because it doesn't support your ancient items, yes, that is ridiculous... That's simply not it's goal. If you don't like it, move on, otherwise these posts are just as much of a waste like you said...

FINALLY! I hate this automatic-shove-it-down-your-throat approach!

Now, if could get several million users to each get 10k back, maybe MS would WAKE UP!

• Upvote 1

Ciao!

This is the best news I have heard in ages. I have been stating for some time that upgrading someone's PC to Windows 10 without their permission is borderline illegal, and I am glad to see that someone has called Microsoft out on this ridiculous practice. Frankly, I hope they get hammered for it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Now regarding the point about software going back to working on windows 98, well that is simply ridiculous...

Carlos, you can be as dismissive as you like, but I have a full baker's dozen programs that will not run under Win10...

...in fact, some of them won't run under Win7 either! I keep a WinXP and a Win98 machine operational simply to run programming software for Kenwood, ICOM, and Motorola land mobile radios! Consider that there are tens of thousands of other radio shops around the world facing the same problem with trying to keep professional radio gear operational!

I also have several extremely expensive software packages as part of my production pipeline that will not run under Win10 no matter how much I wish they could be forced to do so.

For my purposes, Win10 is simply a non-starter, period. Full stop. In this respect I'm hardly alone. There are thousands of companies who simply cannot convert all of their networked computers to Win10 willy-nilly without experiencing a lot of software compatibility problems.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My brother and I are long-time simmers.  Both of us upgraded to Win 10 recently.  He was very cautious about it, but has multiple systems and figured he would roll the dice on his gaming PC.  I have just one system. Win 10 installed fluidly and we are each quite satisfied with the OS in general and also with the FS9 performance.  His gaming system is very high end and was built by him from components.  Mine is Best Buy off-the-shelf quality.  This makes little difference with FS9, but he can run others sims quite well, whereas I can't.  We both far prefer FS9 anyway.  

Don't ask me to explain why there are broadly ranging experiences with OS upgrades.  I just got lucky, I guess.

I am typing this message on my brother's PC, and he has Windows 10 installed. I guess I would need time to get used to it, but first impressions of the new style UI (Windows 8 and above) is that it is a pile of.......

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I also have several extremely expensive software packages as part of my production pipeline that will not run under Win10 no matter how much I wish they could be forced to do so.

Isn't that the case for virtualization? I have an XP VM for that very purpose, but I'd never dream of running a 15-year-old OS as anything other than a guest.

Who was running DOS 3.0 in 1996?

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Who was running DOS 3.0 in 1996?

Luke, Motorola, Kenwood, ICOM, Harris and Tait all have legacy programming software for their long discontinued professional land mobile radio equipment. There are still many, many thousands of these venerable radios still operational three or four decades after they went out of production. They are just that solidly built!

Some of the programming software will only work with a genuine old-fashioned DB-25 COM1 port so it's just not a case where VM software is going to be much help. Obviously these software programs will never be "updated" to modern standards! So yes, I keep a DOS v3.1 operational for these golden oldies. Some of the "newer oldies" have aftermarket USB/Serial cables that can be used as a DB-25 COM1 port, but the software still won't run on anything newer than WinXP, and even then a special program must be run to S L O W down the speed... :LMAO:

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

In most cases where software not running on a newer OS, surely the developer of said software needs to take some of the responsibility? They know that they are developing software to run on an OS that is constantly getting updated, so maybe it these individual developers that need to move with the times?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

My laptop with Windows 8.2 installed did an automatic upgrade without any input from me whatsoever. This, of course, was right before I planned on leaving for the airport to catch a flight. Great timing folks! I lost some picture files in the process as well. This kind of corporate intrusiveness should be illegal. I don't use the laptop for simming so I'm still safe (for now).

• Upvote 1

My laptop with Windows 8.2 installed did an automatic upgrade without any input from me whatsoever. This, of course, was right before I planned on leaving for the airport to catch a flight. Great timing folks! I lost some picture files in the process as well. This kind of corporate intrusiveness should be illegal.

As far as I am concerned it is illegal.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

As far as I am concerned it is illegal.

Really we can't we can't be far away from an anti virus company releasing a product to stop this invasive behaviour.

In most cases where software not running on a newer OS, surely the developer of said software needs to take some of the responsibility? They know that they are developing software to run on an OS that is constantly getting updated, so maybe it these individual developers that need to move with the times?

In the specific cases I've mentioned, why would the manufacturers of radio gear that has been obsolete for decades be obligated to continue updating the programming software? What would be their incentive? When they drop equipment from production, their goal is to sell the new equipment replacing those that they've dropped!

These software packages are created in house to support the hardware their engineers design. They are not independent software developers who would indeed have a financial interest in keeping their software updated to run on more modern operating systems and hardware.

Fr. Bill