Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Elaine, I could use your help again with Tongass

Hi Elaine, I tried to install Tongass using a method recommended by someone at Orbx, I can post the link if you'd like.

I can get it to install, it installed the files in my P3D root as a folder called FSaddons, as it should.

Ok so far so good.

But when I looked in my P3D terrain.cfg file there was nothing.

So I looked in the FSX terrain.cfg file and I saw it had installed it there, in that file I had a bunch of FSX add-ons, )naturally as it's FSX's) but at the very bottom I had the directory location for P3D.

So I ran P3D, opened the Scenery Library and manually added them in making sure Upper Tongass was higher than Lower Tongass.

But try as I might all the airports were a mess.

I ran the Vector config tool.  No change.

Enabled or disabled the offending airports with the Vector tool, no change.

So I uninstalled it completely from my PC.  FSX and P3D.  I made sure there were no entires in the Scenery libraries of either FSX or P3D.

Made sure there were no entries in FSX or P3D's terrain.cfg files.

When I uninstalled it I used the Control Panel as there's no uninstaller.

So I am ready to try again but I fear it might modify the FSX terrain.cfg again and not the P3D.

I do not and will not use the migration tool.  Ever.  Again.  Never.  Not even on my PC so forget it Richard.  Not being snarky it's I just don't want to use that tool.

I even had it layered correctly in FTX Central right smack between FTX and OTC.

Any ideas because others have it working fine.

P3D 3.2

Thanks Elaine.

Jack Sawyer

I do not and will not use the migration tool.  Ever.  Again.  Never.  Not even on my PC so forget it Richard.  Not being snarky it's I just don't want to use that tool.

No problem Jack  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Hi Jack -  Sorry, I'm not Elaine but perhaps I can help. I am assuming you are trying to install Tongass Fjords. If that is the case, all you need to is copy/paste the entries that were installed in the FSX terrain.cfg file into the P3D file - make sure the numbers are in correct order. I am pretty sure you can then delete them from the FSX file but back it up, JIC.

All the other steps should be the same.

If you are talking about a different scenery - my apologies.

So to clarify - repeat what you did initially and copy the added entries from FSX terrain.cfg to P3D terrain.cfg ensuring all the numbers are in sequence.

Then just follow the normal installation steps.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Vic, yes, Tongass Fjords by Holger. I read a lot of posts here at AVSIM about this very installation and it seems very difficult.

Someone named 4L0M responded but it's not here! I was going to tell them I made it clear I won't want to use that tool.

Anyway, I did as you suggest yesterday but the aiports in that scenery were really messsed up, land incorrectly above the runway, floating in trees etc.

When you say then just follow the normal installation steps, I don't undestand what you mean. Wouldn't I have already followed the steps if I ran the installer?

I'm really confused about this.

And I though of something last night, how about if I try something like this.

Say I remove the original terrrain.cfg file fom FSX's folder and save it to desktop, then make a copy of the P3D file and place IT in the FSX's folder so when I run it it might add the lines to the P3D one? Kind of like tricking it? THEN taking that file and placing it back in the P3D folder.

Or would that confuse the whole works?

Yesterday I got all the files to install to FSAddons but the airports were all goofed up.

Thank you Vic for helping by the way.

Jack Sawyer

Just curious as to why admins deleted my post, when it was by far the easiest solution and actually works?

Hello 4L,

I would imagine because I made it clear in my original post..."I do not and will not use the migration tool. Ever. Again. Never. Not even on my PC" that I want nothing to do with that tool.

Maybe you read it fast and missed it? I tend to do that myself at times. I appreciate your help in offering a soultion but I really don't want to use that tool. Here on AVSIM there's a locked thread I read today about how it can really corrupt a system so I want to steer clear of it. I know there's a lot of opinions on it but I just don't want to use it.

I prefer the way Elaine does things, it's very logical and the way she presents it with screenshots helps a person like myself who's not comfortable manually doing things like this.

Nothing perrsonal 4L.

Best regards,

Jack

Jack Sawyer

Hello 4L,

I would imagine because I made it clear in my original post..."I do not and will not use the migration tool. Ever. Again. Never. Not even on my PC" that I want nothing to do with that tool.

Maybe you read it fast and missed it? I tend to do that myself at times. I appreciate your help in offering a soultion but I really don't want to use that tool. Here on AVSIM there's a locked thread I read today about how it can really corrupt a system so I want to steer clear of it. I know there's a lot of opinions on it but I just don't want to use it.

I prefer the way Elaine does things, it's very logical and the way she presents it with screenshots helps a person like myself who's not comfortable manually doing things like this.

Nothing perrsonal 4L.

Best regards,

Jack

Hey Jack,

Have you found the Tongass Fjords support forum?  I found it through google, but it helped me get it installed and working great.  Additionally, check out http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/ as they use this scenary a lot and have guides to installing everything.

It works and looks great in P3D, and I do remember having to manually add (and number!) entries in the cfg.

No EMT is needed  :smile:

Hey Jack,

Have you found the Tongass Fjords support forum?  I found it through google, but it helped me get it installed and working great.  Additionally, check out http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/ as they use this scenary a lot and have guides to installing everything.

It works and looks great in P3D, and I do remember having to manually add (and number!) entries in the cfg.

No EMT is needed  :smile:

I just went there and now I'm more confused than ever. What is an object library?

I need very specific instructions and they recommend the migration tool.

I did get it to install but the problem was the airports were really messed up.

PAFE had so many anomolies it's difficult to describe.

One airport my plane was on an invisible runway hundreds of feet in the air.

Another airport my plane was buried in trees and op top of the trees.

I describe all this in this thread.

Thanks.

Jack Sawyer

I just went there and now I'm more confused than ever. What is an object library?

I need very specific instructions and they recommend the migration tool.

I did get it to install but the problem was the airports were really messed up.

PAFE had so many anomolies it's difficult to describe.

One airport my plane was on an invisible runway hundreds of feet in the air.

Another airport my plane was buried in trees and op top of the trees.

I describe all this in this thread.

Thanks.

Take a peak here:

http://fssupport.com/fsaddonforum/index.php?board=7.0

This is how I installed it.

It sounds like you are having the elevation problems they describe in this post:

http://fssupport.com/fsaddonforum/index.php?topic=59.0

I followed those steps and it fixed my problems, sounds like same as you are struggling with.

Good luck!

Thanks Allen but I'm afraid even that is light years over my head.

I'm just going to give up, it seems way to difficult and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I just don't have the knowledge some people have when it comes to this kind of stuff, I can fly and navigate all day but when it comes to this, well, I am clueless.

Thank you for trying to help.

Jack Sawyer

Thanks Allen but I'm afraid even that is light years over my head.

I'm just going to give up, it seems way to difficult and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I just don't have the knowledge some people have when it comes to this kind of stuff, I can fly and navigate all day but when it comes to this, well, I am clueless.

Thank you for trying to help.

Don't give up just yet!  The scenery looks great in P3D.  I'm replying from my smartphone while traveling, otherwise I'd try to help more at my PC with actual folder/file instructions.  The second link I posted sounds like the same problem you are having that I had as well that made everything just look weird.  

It's not a hard fix, just changing around some .blg files, I just don't have my setup in front of me to help further.

If anyone else could help Jack with this, see my second link posted above.

Sorry I couldn't help further Jack.

Thanks all!

Just curious as to why admins deleted my post, when it was by far the easiest solution and actually works?

As the OP specifically said - he did NOT want to use the EMT,  there was no point in getting into a discussion of the EMT.

You did nothing wrong.

Vic

Jack - The instructions Allen linked are the exact ones I followed to install it . Just take it step by step and you should not have any issues.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Jack,  The links the Guys have provided will do the trick alright.

I have Tongass but have not installed it yet.

Here is what i know about it.................

If you have Prepar3D installed only,   When you Run the Installer and Point it to either your Prepar3D install location or a Different drive it will Create a folder called FSAdon and inside you will have your Lower\Higher Scenery library + Docs + Caches  But it will also Automatically Create a folder in your C Drive Program (x86) called Microsoft Games ► Microsoft Flight Simulator,  Inside this folder will be 4 folders Effects,  Scenery,  Simobjects and Sound,  These folders will have to be Pasted to the Relevant folders,  for Example:  The 8 files in the Scenery folder will have to be moved to Scenery\World\Scenery and so on.

=======================

If you have FSX and Prepar3D installed at the same time,  It will still Create a FSAdon folder at a place of your choosing BUT it will find your FSX install location and Install the other 4 folders there. Hence your Scenery problem.  

For starters, You will have to located these 8 files and Copy and Paste them to Prepar3D  ► Scenery ► World ► Scenery 

27873981462_a78abbbaf6_o.jpg

Like i said i haven't really Installed it yet,  But i will put a Guide together in the next week or so. 

Thanks Elaine, you're absolutly brilliant! I didn't know that about the folders, yes I have both installed. But what's this about temproarily taking out of P3D the Terrain.cfg and Scenery.cfg files I have read about?

When I ran the installer it did create FSAddons in the P3D directoru BUT, it added lines to the FSX Terrain.cfg with the P3D directory! Very odd I thought.

And I never saw one mention of anything Tongass in either the FSX or P3D Scenery.cfg files.

That would be very generous of you to create a guide as it would help a LOT of people, I know because on the forums a lot of people are wondering how to do this. Your guides are the best and easy for a neophyte like me to follow.

Thank you

Jack

Jack Sawyer

Some people might say that choosing a topic that reflects the actual content is key to getting good answers.

Some people might say that "Elaine, I could use your help again" is not such a topic.

Some people might even say that it should be nominated as one of the worst topics ever.

• Upvote 1