Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Elaine, I could use your help again with Tongass

Some people might say that choosing a topic that reflects the actual content is key to getting good answers.

Some people might say that "Elaine, I could use your help again" is not such a topic.

Some people might even say that it should be nominated as one of the worst topics ever.

Very interesting observation 

Rich Sennett

Some people might say that choosing a topic that reflects the actual content is key to getting good answers.

Some people might say that "Elaine, I could use your help again" is not such a topic.

Some people might even say that it should be nominated as one of the worst topics ever.

Gosh, I'm really sorry you feel this way.

I hope you have a nice day.

• Upvote 1

Jack Sawyer

Well, yes, it is a good point.  Topic names really are important.  Elaine is a very kind, likable and has become a respected member of our community, so I can certainly understand why someone would reach out to her specifically though in such a case a Private Message may have been then better venue. That said, I'm sure we all realize that we sometimes don't consider such things when we're hours into working a problem and just want some help.

The first two observations are technically accurate and really are an important point, though they might have been made a little more tactfully (but it's certainly okay that they weren't as no line was crossed).  But I might have skipped last/third line as it turned a technical observation into something personal (regardless of whether or not it was intended to be), and that's the type of thing we'd like everyone to avoid. 

Jack, hat's off to you for your response - really!  It is a great example of how we should all be.

Okay - my two cents.  Sorry to get away from the topic my friends.

My best wishes to everyone for Happy Flights!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thank you Dave for your kind words and you were spot on about me wanting Elaine's help as she's very helpful and gracious.

I could and should have reworded it and that's entirely my fault.

As you're a mod perhaps you could change the title to make it more amenable to everyone?

I apologize if I got out of line in any and I stand corrected by your post.

Best regards,

Jack

Jack Sawyer

Jack - there will always be 'advisors' to critique posts. Ignore them. Your nondescript title seemed to work didn't it? You might have added "with Tongass scenery install" to make it clearer to the casual observer but you got your answers.  :smile:

IMHO, putting a post like this in a PM defeats the purpose of the forums. We can all share in your success or failure and learn from it.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just a quick Guide for now and I will do a proper Picture Tutorial next week,  For Prepar3D only and one for a Dual Install. 

Regarding only if you have FSX and Prepar3D Installed at the same time.

Run the Installer and Point it to your Main Prepar3D folder,  It will Install a folder called FSAdon, inside this folder you will have Tongass Lower\Higher Priority Scenery library's + Docs + Caches.  The Installer will also find your FSX Install Location and Install, Effects,  Scenery,  Simobjects and Sound to your FSX folders. 

===========================

Click Pictures to Make BIG

Your Terrain.cfg 

Before you add Entries to your terrain.cfg,  Notice how all the Rivers and Lakes is covered in Green land 

27988756075_155dd9fb23_o.jpg

After.....See,  you have nice Rivers and Lakes now 

27374752883_49cf42749f_o.jpg

Go to your Main FSX folder and Locate your Terrain.cfg,  Open it up using Notepad,  Scroll down to the very bottom,  You will Notice 40 Tongass Fjords Entries,  Highlight all of them, the full 40,  Right Click,  Click Copy.

27910784221_a760d6e53d_o.jpg

Your going to Paste these Entries to your Prepar3D Terrain.cfg  

Go to  ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3   Open up your Terrain.cfg,   Paste the 40 Tongass Entries at the Bottom    

The 2 terrain.cfg files below side by side are both from Prepar3D.   As you can see from the Image i have already added my Entries  (Right Side)  

1 Look at your last Entry, Mine is 422!!   2  Your last Tongass Entry has to Match the DefaultTextureCount  (Top Left)    3 Mine is 422,  So i will change the DefaultTextureCount=383   TO  DefaultTextureCount=422

Make sure the Numbers are running correct and you have no Double numbers 

27954035416_5b13d29e9e_o.jpg

Perfect 

27374752333_c3df8af065_o.jpg

===============================

Copy and Pasting from your FSX folders to your Prepar3D folders,  Only Copy and Paste the files boxed in Red

Airport elevation files. 

Go to your FSX folder   FSX ► scenery ► World ► Scenery.   Highlight these files, Click Copy.    Go to Prepar3D  scenery ► World ► Scenery and Paste them into the folder 

27910786301_51009bddd8_o.jpg

Go to your FSX folder   FSX ► scenery ► World ► texture.  Highlight these files, Click Copy.   Go to Prepar3D  scenery ► World ► texture and Paste them into the folder 

27910784161_de0062931f_o.jpg

====================

Simobjects

Go to  FSX  ► Simobjects   Highlight the files, Copy them and Paste them into the Relevant Prepar3D Simobjects folders,  For Example,  FSX Boats into Prepar3D Boats  and so on 

27954036026_65c1e21516_o.jpg

Sound

Go to FSX  ► Sound   Highlight the files, Copy them.    Go to Prepar3D ► Sound and Paste them into the folder

27708671290_69777d9963_o.jpg

Effects 

There are 50 Effects in Total, you will know them by looking at the Dates on the Image, They will probably be all bunched together 

Go to FSX  ► Effects   Highlight the files (all 50)  Copy them.     Go to Prepar3D ► Effects and Paste them into the folder

27910785331_b06a2f9632_o.jpg

Effects\Textures 

Go to FSX  ► Effects ► Texture   Highlight the files, Copy them.     Go to Prepar3D ► Effects ► Texture  and Paste them into the folder

27910785081_db5923acf6_o.jpg

Start Prepar3D and add your 2 Tongass Scenery Library's,  Add the Lower and then the Higher.

Try that and come back to me   
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Elaine, I'm away from the PC for a while, I'll get right on it tomorrow morning and get back to you, I'm sure it'll work with excellent instructions like these. I very much appreciate this.

Best regards,

Jack

Jack Sawyer

Hi Elaine, I'm doing it now.

When you say to change the number (your's was 422) to match (your's was 383) do I renumber all 40 Tongass entries till I reach the fortieth one?

Or will it renumber itself?

My number at the top of the Terrain.cfg file is TextureCount = 1014.

Do I renumber all 40 because the last entry BEFORE I added the lines was Texture.1013

Then after pasting the first TextureCount on the pasted Tongass entries is 1161.

So do I renumber all 40 to start with number 1014, 1015, and so on down the list of 40.

Or like I said, does it renumber them?

Jack Sawyer

Yes Jack - start with 1014 and renumber the TF entries. When done change texture count at top to be one more than your last entry.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes Jack - start with 1014 and renumber the TF entries. When done change texture count at top to be one more than your last entry.

Vic

Thanks Vic, so far so good but I ran into something else.

I already have most of the 50 files existing.

Starting in her list I have from:

fx_HS_FSX_lakewavecontroller.fx

all the way down through

fx_HS_FSX_oceanwaves.fx

I did not have the others in my P3D Effects folder.

So do I leave them as they're newer or do I overwrite them?

Same goes for:

fx_MF_marine_light.... in the Effects > Texture.

So I overwrite this file too?

Once I renumber I'm ready to start the sim but I'm not going to do anything until I know I should replace those newer files with the older ones.

Jack Sawyer

Jack - I'm not positive but since they're just effects files with the same name, I'd leave them alone and see how it goes. If you have an issue, make a copy of your current effects folder for backup and then overwrite the specific ones. I'm not at my flight system right now so I cannot check the file dates, etc but I'd be surprised if there's be any significant difference between old and new fx files with the same name.

Remember - the defaulttexturecount at the top of the cfg file is one MORE that the number of the last entry. The  numbers start at 0 - so if your first was 0 and your last was 10 - your total count would be 11.  :)

Looks like you're almost there.

Vic

Thanks again Vic!

I'm out right now and as soon as I get back I'll continue

Jack Sawyer

It's perfect!

I added in the areas to the Scenery Library in P3D.

Lower first then Higher.

Then I quit P3D.

Ran FTX Central and let it sync.

Used the Scenery Insertion Point tool to place them between FTX and OLC as described in the Orbx forums.

Ran the Vector configuration tool

Rebooted.

Then I went to all the airports in my manual for Tongass one at a time and they were all perfect!

I want to thank you Vic and especially Elaine for helping me do this. I would never be able to figure this out on my own. Elaine, when you read this know that I appreciate this more than you will ever know.

You are a real asset to AVSIM and your knowledge and generosity reflect well on you.

I am most appreciative.

Best regards,

Jack

• Upvote 1

Jack Sawyer

You are a real asset to AVSIM and your knowledge and generosity reflect well on you.

I second that statement Jack! Plus Elaine is much better to look at than some of us old fogies (actually ALL of us old fogies).

Glad I was able to contribute - now go enjoy the fruits of your labors. I particularly like SItka Harbor around 11am when the Coast Guard Cutter starts up and steams out.

Vic

• Upvote 1

Hi Vic, yes, that is a pretty picture of her. What she does must take a lot of time to take all those screenshots, add the arrows, text, and correct paths. Then know which files to place where, I can only imagine how much time that takes her. What she does is way over my head as I just want to fly, so as you can tell I'm very appeciative.

Thank you Vic for the Sitka Harbor Coast Guard cutter reference, I will be sure to set the time and see for myself. I love that kind of stuff!

I wish someone could just change the title of my thread as it is a little embarassing. Maybe something like Tongass installation into P3D by Elaine and Vic or something like that. I don't even know if a title can be changed.

Anyway, I look forward to my flights there in FSEconomy, my friend in the UK and I use Tongass and Orbx's SAK exclusively for our FSE business. So it really mattered that I got that installed and that finished all of the installs for my new P3D. Started installing it on 2 June and and now today it's finished until FlyTampa releases the new KBOS sometime late this year and I'm looking forward to the new Approaching Innsbruck. Then there's more Orbx stuff! Yeah, fun and it's an entirely different sim than FSX which I've used since day one.

Best regards,

Jack

Jack Sawyer