Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[29JUN16] PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II - Tech Testing Commences

I am a bit concerned that Robert only mentions FSX... I thought that P3D can now reasonably be considered as the "main" simulator, since it outdoes FSX and leaves it behind in many aspects... I hope the P3D version will be just a few days behind...

Doing things halfway isn't really PMDG's MO so they're not just going to ship out the first version of the 747v3 that seems to run fine on P3D, you'll get one that's explicitly engineered to run on P3D. At any rate, most people are still running FSX and so that's going to be the audience targeted in the initial release.

...not everyone can cope with the incredible amount of cash required for the upgrades.

You've found the reason why I haven't gone P3D yet. I'm still running FSX Boxed that I bought off the shelf at Best Buy probably within a couple weeks of its release in 2006. I've read just about everything I can on P3D vs. FSX, and while I understand it's better, I also understand it's not so far and away better that I can't live without it. At the end of the day, it's still the same basic engine with some of the same limitations that were around long before FSX came around. 

At this point, I'm just not paying for P3D, and then paying to re-buy my addons, or hope that ones that bill themselves as either-or actually work correctly, and aren't sloppily shoehorned into P3D. I'll almost certainly upgrade to P3D when I finally start building my new computer but until then it's just not worth the added expense.

Great news!

I haven't fired up FSX since upgrading to Win 10. TBH I was dreading the task of getting everything operational and PMDG planes up to date. I guess I'll have to now. :) I'll need to stock up on coffee.

Great news! I cant wait for the first previews in airline colors.

• Upvote 1

sig1.png
sig2.png

Really great new Robert. Though I'm hoping that I can take the Queen into the skies before I start Grad school on Aug 22nd. My mentors told me I wouldn't have time for  much after that.  :sad:

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Such decisions are made largely by feel and through our experience having created a number of products during the past twenty years.  The only thing that determines when the product moves from Tech to Beta and Beta to Release is the product itself.

These are wise words I'd like to hear more often within software lifecycle management from the management! In our company, we've fixed sprint's and release dates and we are forced to have the release packages ready when the customer say's so even when not ready technical wise; as a system engineer it's hell.

• Upvote 1

So is it now in what's called the "Tech" (pre Beta) pashe?

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Roughly how many months after release into Beta for FSX or P3D can we expect to see it in Beta stage for X-Plane 10? X-Plane is desperately lacking a complex simulation of a heavy aircraft and it would be great to see you guys set that milestone in X-Plane. 

......and I thought PMDG had already achieved this with their DC-6 ?!  Looking forward to the new B744/-8 when it is finally ready.

Bertie Goddard

......and I thought PMDG had already achieved this with their DC-6 ?! 

Bertie Goddard

Don't get me wrong, the DC-6 is a totally new step in X-Plane in itself, but there are no modern day heavy aircraft I don't think the DC-6 is considered heavy (correct if I am wrong). I have the DC-6 and thoroughly enjoy it, and now PMDG are in the door I would like to see a close enough release of their future releases to the platform from other platforms such as FSX and P3D. 

Hope this is the project you use to port from fsx/p3d to xplane. I do love the 747-400.

congrats!

• Upvote 1

Manuel Merelles

I used to be a 747 (PMDG) fundamentalist.... so when the PMDG 777 was announced I was not so thrilled..all I could think of the 747 ... (mostly out of ignorance of the 777)... 

But then I flew the 777 and it got to slowly grow on me and I am now a 777 fanatic now... 

So what do I do with the new 747? Hmmm... interesting!

:wub:  :Tounge:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter