Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[29JUN16] PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II - Tech Testing Commences

Starting to drift off the magenta here. Let's bring it back on course, shall we?

Kyle Rodgers

PMDG products are superior to any other addon which I have used and I believe their "after sales" service is what counts. In my area of the world, customer service leaves a lot to be desired. The price of any product is irrelevant, so long as the service and support is available. I don't envy Kyle's job in these forums, but he is giving us his free time and that is what makes the difference to me. I'm sure the amount of man hours that go into a particular product are immense. And we shouldn't take this for granted. I gladly purchase their products because I know what I'm getting..And my payment is not for the product alone, but the free assistance provided by experts who I'm sure could be spending their time in the air rather than the "virtual" sky...will be waiting for this product, however long it takes to perfect. Thanks to all the PMDG developers.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I am making an attempt here to ask a very intelligent question about the differences in the two flight models.  Has PMDG found in their research and development, significant differences between the two, in terms of flight dynamics, as well as internal systems?  With the tech testing currently going on, will the user see differences in how the two are set up?  I own, but cannot install the the original Queen of the Skies 747, but never bought the expansion, which was just an external model change, so will the new v2 versions be completely re-worked and will the 8 series be a totally separate aircraft model?

I am also curious if PMDG will adhere to the current market and have liveries created for both models that match what is flying right now.  For example, I see the Lufthansa 747-8 fly overhead everyday, and I know that's the passenger version, but will we see all of the cargo versions too?

My apologies if I made no sense whatsoever.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

so will the new v2 versions be completely re-worked and will the 8 series be a totally separate aircraft model?

Hi Jim,

All the different variants will have their own setups. This includes varying engine types, -400 vs -8, etc. If there are typical differences in the systems or flight models, these will be simulated. This is what makes PMDG so amazing, their level of detail.

Hi Jim,

All the different variants will have their own setups. This includes varying engine types, -400 vs -8, etc. If there are typical differences in the systems or flight models, these will be simulated. This is what makes PMDG so amazing, their level of detail.

I am rather familiar with PMDG's capabilities. I have the 747, 737 and 777 from them.  I was just looking for a little further insight from the PMDG team.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

PMDG products are superior to any other addon which I have used and I believe their "after sales" service is what counts. In my area of the world, customer service leaves a lot to be desired. The price of any product is irrelevant, so long as the service and support is available. I don't envy Kyle's job in these forums, but he is giving us his free time and that is what makes the difference to me. I'm sure the amount of man hours that go into a particular product are immense. And we shouldn't take this for granted. I gladly purchase their products because I know what I'm getting..And my payment is not for the product alone, but the free assistance provided by experts who I'm sure could be spending their time in the air rather than the "virtual" sky...will be waiting for this product, however long it takes to perfect. Thanks to all the PMDG developers.

Really appreciate this feedback!

Has PMDG found in their research and development, significant differences between the two, in terms of flight dynamics, as well as internal systems?

The 747-8 is more of a 747 with some of the internals of the 777 and 787 (the technology included in the 787 incorporated into the 747 is the reason for the -8 model number). Flight dynamics-wise, the plane essentially has 4 variants of 787 engines that can throw out more thrust over the PW-4062/RR-RB211/GE-CF6, by about 3,200 pounds per engine at the very least (-8 GEnx engine over the highest rated -400 engine, which is the PW 4062).

With the tech testing currently going on, will the user see differences in how the two are set up?

Tech testing is only going on for the -400 at the moment. Having multiple products in tech or beta could cause one of them to get less testing, or might make someone confuse functions between the two. This leads nicely into the latter part of the question: they're different enough that people will notice for sure. The 747-400 is about 30 years old now as an aircraft type. The -8 is much younger, and has a lot of the newer features that people who own the 777 will be familiar with. The 747-8 has the newer LCD FMCs and a suite of LCD screens, whereas the -400 has older (and slower - yes, even this is modeled) green-screen FMCs. The MCPs are significantly different, and the quirks of the -400 MCP are modeled (I won't tell you what they are - I'll wait for RSR to discuss that :P ). Some of the buttons and knobs are slightly different (gear handle is much smaller on the -8, minor overhead differences, etc).

Here's a thread with (early Alpha - it's seen quite a bit of improvement since then) images:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/471944-19jul15-the-view-from-the-top/

so will the new v2 versions be completely re-worked and will the 8 series be a totally separate aircraft model?

Yep.

Kyle Rodgers

Really appreciate this feedback!

The 747-8 is more of a 747 with some of the internals of the 777 and 787 (the technology included in the 787 incorporated into the 747 is the reason for the -8 model number). Flight dynamics-wise, the plane essentially has 4 variants of 787 engines that can throw out more thrust over the PW-4062/RR-RB211/GE-CF6, by about 3,200 pounds per engine at the very least (-8 GEnx engine over the highest rated -400 engine, which is the PW 4062).

Tech testing is only going on for the -400 at the moment. Having multiple products in tech or beta could cause one of them to get less testing, or might make someone confuse functions between the two. This leads nicely into the latter part of the question: they're different enough that people will notice for sure. The 747-400 is about 30 years old now as an aircraft type. The -8 is much younger, and has a lot of the newer features that people who own the 777 will be familiar with. The 747-8 has the newer LCD FMCs and a suite of LCD screens, whereas the -400 has older (and slower - yes, even this is modeled) green-screen FMCs. The MCPs are significantly different, and the quirks of the -400 MCP are modeled (I won't tell you what they are - I'll wait for RSR to discuss that :P ). Some of the buttons and knobs are slightly different (gear handle is much smaller on the -8, minor overhead differences, etc).

Here's a thread with (early Alpha - it's seen quite a bit of improvement since then) images:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/471944-19jul15-the-view-from-the-top/

Yep.

Thanks Kyle, that's exactly what I was looking for, good concise explanations.  Now that I know what I know, I am looking forward to this more.

Starting to drift off the magenta here. Let's bring it back on course, shall we?

Very far off the line Kyle.

As for this topic.....Nothing brings will bring it back on course faster than some news or some more pics.  :wink:

Like the drift on the magenta line (using your analogy), any aircraft (or topic) will drift if not updated.  I'd say PMDGs INS for the 747 needs a update.  :Big Grin:

Anyone else agree?

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Anyone else agree?

This thread is only 2 weeks old. It's not even that far out of date!  :P 

We provide updates when there's something to talk about, though I do appreciate how excited people are getting about it.

When the beta team gets their hands on it, you'll be buried in 744 stuff...no worries.

Kyle Rodgers

I have migrated from FSX to Prepar3D.  Previously I had the PMDG  747 for FSX and the Prepar3D version is no longer available.

The money allotted for purchase is waiting patiently for this wonderful bird to be re-released.   In the meantime I am more than happy flying the NGX and 777.   These are great times for Flight SIM enthusiasts for sure.

Harold Finch

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

This thread is only 2 weeks old. It's not even that far out of date!  :P

We provide updates when there's something to talk about, though I do appreciate how excited people are getting about it.

When the beta team gets their hands on it, you'll be buried in 744 stuff...no worries.

Hey Kyle, I was poking fun at the perceived insufficient interval between updates (2 weeks in PMDG time is eons for the waiting public), but in all seriousness, posting pics of the Queen always brings the ship back on course.  :smile:

Not that I'm actually asking, but just stating that some screenshots of a plane we can't touch yet is one thing we always rally around.

As for excitement,  just as "nobody doesn't like Sara Lee"....nobody doesn't like the Queen!  What's not to like about the plane that revolutionized the modern air transport era? (rhetorical question, Hehe).  

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hey Kyle, I was poking fun at the perceived insufficient interval between updates (2 weeks in PMDG time is eons for the waiting public), but in all seriousness, posting pics of the Queen always brings the ship back on course. 

haha - I figured, which is why I threw the emoticon in there.

Not that I'm actually asking, but just stating that some screenshots of a plane we can't touch yet is one thing we always rally around.

Soon™

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Right, my brother, come bury me ASAP:.

spacer.png

Meanwhile, In my perfect fantasy world: 

Aug 1st: Beta begins 

Sep 1st: FSX release

Oct 1st: P3D release

Nov 1st: X-plane release --> this is the one i'm waiting for, really.. 

Dec 1st: 747-8 release in all platforms

Now, wouldn't that be cool?

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.