Sign in to follow this  
BrunoAlexander

Harddrive space not freeing up after deleting 70 GB

Hi,

Today I found it was time to copy my download folder to an external HDD. Than I deleted the original folder. But even after a defragmentation i only have 10 GB more space. But I deleted 70 GB. Trash (recycle.bin) an the download folder are empty.

Any ideas?

Alexander

Try using a free program like cc cleaner .  Also reboot PC. Sometimes it can take a little while for the empty space to show up again

ZORAN

Also, keep in mind that if it was sent to the Recycle Bin, it's not really deleted off of the hard drive. Recycle Bins sizes are based off of the size of the hard drive, and can be seen by right-clicking on the Recycle Bin and setting sizes. You may need to empty the Recycle Bin to gain your space back (or like Venturi mentioned, use CCleaner, which cleans out all Recycle Bins when it's ran).

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Any ideas?

Sometimes the OS/FS loses track of Free Space (It is much more technical than what I stated.).

This is what I do:

1.-  Create a system restore point.

If You don't know how click->  Create a restore point

2.-  Run "Disk Cleanup" on your drive C:

Let it do its thing (Scanning) and before hitting the OK button, choose the More Options Tab;

in the System Restore and Shadow Copies Frame click on Clean Up, that will free a lot of

space used by older restore points and shadow copies.      

3.- Run a Check Disk on drive C:

Open Computer and right click on your hard drive. from the menu choose Properties ->

Tools and click on "Check Now".

If Your drive is shared then agree on the "Schedule disk check" and reboot.

4.- Once the OS reboots, it will start a ChkDisk, let it do its thing. (ie Don't press any key until it starts)

It will find the misreported free space and fix it, along other probable file system errors.

5.- As stated by other posters. Run CCleaner.

Cheers.

Thank you very much for your help.

I have done the "Disk Cleanup" , the "Disk Check" and have used the CCleaner. But without success.

Maybe this could be the secret;

The download folder was very big (70 GB) and it took ages to open. Could it be, that when i checked the used disk space before the deleting, the system was not ready to add the download folder space and i get a wrong number? 

Alexander

Maybe this could be the secret;

The download folder was very big (70 GB) and it took ages to open. Could it be, that when i checked the used disk space before the deleting, the system was not ready to add the download folder space and i get a wrong number?

Yes

Just re-run the check disk using chkdsk /f

More info here.

Hmmmm.... Something really wired is going on:

I opened the Windows Control Panel and checked my installed programs and this is what I found:

Aerosoft Stuttgart: 17,9 GB

Aerosoft Innsbruck: 17,9 GB

Aerosoft: German Airfields 2: 17,9 GB

FTX Global Base Pack: 17,9 GB

FSX Steam Edition: 17,9 GB

All other programs look normal.

First i thought they maybe count as one program, but they use the totalized disk space ( 5 * 17,9 GB )

Alexander

Can you post some pics of what your seeing

ZORAN

Is that 17.9GB ?  for Aerosoft Innsbruck. I see yours is in German so I checked my version of Aerosoft Innsbruck but I dont have a file size listed just a blank space but no way its over 2GB anyway

regradless you have to many entries with the same numbers. Your right something strange going on

ZORAN

Just for the record:

I uninstalled "Airport Stuttgart". And the used disk space remained the same. The System took the 17,9 GB from Stuttgart, divided them by 4 and adds it to the other four programs. Therefore "Airport Innsbruck" and the other three programs are  22,3 GB.

After reinsallation of Stuttgart all five "problem programs" are 17, 9 GB in size again.

Maybe it is time for a completely new Windows installation.

Alexander

Dear Lord, Something in NTFS seems to be really messed up.

Reformat an Renstall seems to be the most practical solution.

Just curious. what size is reported in folder properties of each an steam?

Sorry You couldn't fix it.

In your shot, those 17,9 Gb entries are from the "EstimatedSize" parameter in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\[WOW6432Node]\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{appname}" key, and has no bearing on the real size of the installed product. That looks more like registry corruption in the Uninstall area.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

In your shot, those 17,9 Gb entries are from the "EstimatedSize" parameter in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\[WOW6432Node]\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{appname}" key, and has no bearing on the real size of the installed product. That looks more like registry corruption in the Uninstall area.

A couple of days ago i have done a registry cleanup with "Wise Registry Cleaner". Maybe that could have cause the problems.

Alexander

You could try system restore

ZORAN