Sign in to follow this  
kerbaugh

Mac OS X version woes

These are just the initial problems as I haven't gotten past them. On my system, the plane only loads one livery, the default, no matter which livery I choose. More important, as soon as I load scenario 1, all four engines fail, smoking, and the plane rocks back on its tail. The log output for the event is:

[33m2016/06/29 06:46:45 [1] Un-muting new cockpit sounds[37m

[31m2016/06/29 06:46:56 [2] Uh oh, cannot load sound 'PMDGDC6_ENGSHUTDOWN2' because alGenSources says there's a problem: Unknown error.[37m
[31m2016/06/29 06:46:56 [2] Uh oh, cannot load sound 'PMDGDC6_ENGSHUTDOWN4' because alGenSources says there's a problem: Unknown error.[37m
[31m2016/06/29 06:47:23 [2] Uh oh, cannot load sound 'xPMDGDC6_ENGSHUTDOWN2' because alGenSources says there's a problem: Unknown error.[37m
[31m2016/06/29 06:47:23 [2] Uh oh, cannot load sound 'xPMDGDC6_ENGSHUTDOWN4' because alGenSources says there's a problem: Unknown error.[37m
--
Gary

On my system, the plane only loads one livery, the default, no matter which livery I choose.

Please check to ensure that you have installed the liveries properly, in the proper folders. Sometimes people incorrectly install them such that the folders look like:

Livery Name\Livery Name\Objects

...instead of

Livery Name\Objects

I know a lot of people are pretty self-sufficient in the X-Plane community, so installing liveries is probably old hat, but in order to find where the error lies, I like to start off by ruling out the simple stuff with verification.

More important, as soon as I load scenario 1, all four engines fail, smoking, and the plane rocks back on its tail.

This is a scenery issue, mainly. Turns out that, unless you're using the exact same scenery as was used when creating the Scenario, it will cause issues. This is a feature that was made primarily for people who needed to break up a flight into multiple sim sessions, where flights were able to be resumed while still in the air. It's also a feature with no parallels, so some of the functions that would be useful (such as an "on ground" bit) aren't readily available.

What's happening is that the aircraft is being loaded underground, which is impossible, so the sim flips out. Instead of using the scenario, you can simply load on Runway 28L using the X-Plane menu (local map), and ensure you select "ready for taxi" on the ramp manager and get the same effect. Given the somewhat clunky interface (definitely looking into XPL11 in this regard!), I added the scenario in there just in case it would prove to be helpful in avoiding having to go through extra loading screens.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for the slow reply but I posted right before leaving to work. I expected to be able to pick up the discussion at work but I was swamped.

I'm embarrassed to say you're right on with regard to the liveries. I'm familiar with the constraint; I just didn't expect it in this case. That's what I get for assuming.

Your explanation of the issue with the scenario was excellent. I would eventually have figured out the liveries but I couldn't have guessed the scenario explanation. I think my Portland airport is Einstein's but I have the HD mesh installed and that difference jives with your explanation even better than having the wrong scenery. Excellent call! Your explanation of the hurdles faced in implementing scenarios was enlightening, thanks. It's good to know that support is so good. Problems cease to be worrisome when one feels support provides an effective safety net.

I confess that while I've read the intro and scenario documentation, I haven't cracked the POH. (I'll have more time tonight) I did read that the AFE doesn't start the engines; is that true of the "ready for taxi" function? I tried that and the engines were running after invoking it but no control surfaces worked so I assume that the hydraulic system hadn't been configured. Is that a bug in the function or do I need to start the engines before using it?

--

Gary

I'm embarrassed to say you're right on with regard to the liveries. I'm familiar with the constraint; I just didn't expect it in this case. That's what I get for assuming.

Eh..sometimes it's the simple stuff. Embarrassing perhaps, but I'd argue that's better than the frustration of technical issues!

Your explanation of the issue with the scenario was excellent. I would eventually have figured out the liveries but I couldn't have guessed the scenario explanation. I think my Portland airport is Einstein's but I have the HD mesh installed and that difference jives with your explanation even better than having the wrong scenery. Excellent call! Your explanation of the hurdles faced in implementing scenarios was enlightening, thanks. It's good to know that support is so good. Problems cease to be worrisome when one feels support provides an effective safety net.

Glad to hear it.

I confess that while I've read the intro and scenario documentation, I haven't cracked the POH. (I'll have more time tonight) I did read that the AFE doesn't start the engines; is that true of the "ready for taxi" function? I tried that and the engines were running after invoking it but no control surfaces worked so I assume that the hydraulic system hadn't been configured. Is that a bug in the function or do I need to start the engines before using it?

Everything is ready when you select ready to taxi, but the reason it's ready to taxi and not ready for takeoff is that the gust lock is still engaged - big red handle next to where your right knee would be. Your AFE will remove that in the before takeoff checks.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

You know you're very good at this. Like a good teacher, you have the ability to explain basics without making the student feel like an idiot. Of course I would have come across that as I learned the checklists but you guys were prescient in guessing that many of us would like to take a few flights and revel in those massive radials before settling down to study. Thanks!

--

Gary