Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

Help Me Pick A New Monitor for P3D

Folks,

I'd like to invest in a new monitor, and thinking of a curved one, for the immersion factor. I've read a few things, that resolution above 1920x1080 can cause VAS issues? So, with that, I'm not sure I want to go higher in terms of resolution?

Since I sit about 20-22 inches from my screen, I need something that will look great from that distance. I'd like to keep the cost below $600, and for the time being, would be using my Nvidia 780GTX.

I appreciate any advice and ideas.

I'd like to invest in a new monitor, and thinking of a curved one, for the immersion factor. I've read a few things, that resolution above 1920x1080 can cause VAS issues? So, with that, I'm not sure I want to go higher in terms of resolution?

Higher resolutions don't have a large impact on VAS consumption. I run a triple monitor setup at 5910x1080. When I go from a single screen to triple screens then VAS usage only increases by 100-150 Mb. Higher resolutions however require more VRAM and a stronger GPU. I also only have a GTX780 which still performs nicely in my setup. But I will upgrade to a 1070 in the second half of the year.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Hi Bill,

Got this one and I'm very happy with it: not curved I'm afraid, but I like its sharpness and the colours.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

Here in CH, price dropped to 649,00 CHF (around 660 USD).

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Hi Bill,

Got this one and I'm very happy with it: not curved I'm afraid, but I like its sharpness and the colours.

Cheers,

I also have this monitor and its great, in a few weeks i am going to take the 4k plunge and see if I get the same quality the PG278Q gives

- Paul Cartier

Resolution wont impact VAS. What CPU do you have?

ZORAN

Resolution wont impact VAS. What CPU do you have?

Hi,

6700K, overclocked to 4.8gHz

It's a little above your price point but I have had this for about a year and it has been wonderful...The Ultra wide screen is just perfect for simming IMO. I'm running a GTX 970 video card but your card should work fine.

https://amzn.com/B00PXYRMPE

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

It's a little above your price point but I have had this for about a year and it has been wonderful...The Ultra wide screen is just perfect for simming IMO. I'm running a GTX 970 video card but your card should work fine.

https://amzn.com/B00PXYRMPE

That's a beauty, need to consider it, but it is pricey!

Hi,

6700K, overclocked to 4.8gHz

Buy any resolution you like !. Thats a great system and the GTX 780 is only10% slower than the GTX 970

ZORAN

Buy any resolution you like !. Thats a great system and the GTX 780 is only10% slower than the GTX 970

Thanks!

Hi Bill,

Cheers,

Do you find text too small to read on the 27in monitor?

I use a 42" Samsung 1080p HDTV. Was only $350 and was a great purchase. The bigger screen really helps with immersion.

Do you find text too small to read on the 27in monitor?

By no means. P3D text and menu are perfectly readable at 2560x1440, no probs.

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

I would always go for a 4K monitor at the moment. But that's only a personal opinion. :-)