Sign in to follow this  
alderon57

Reinstalling P3D from scratch?

Hi, all.

The motherboard in my computer has passed on.  I will be getting a similar replacement (not matching); which means reinstalling Windows 7, and then P3D.

What is the preferred method to reinstalling everything?  ORBX landclass and mesh product first?  Regional sceneries next?  Aircraft last?

I only want to go through this one time...

Thanks,

Ron

After the stock sim install I install the following in this order

FSUIPC
Simconnect libs
REX Textures
ASN
EZDOK or OPUS FSI
Aircraft
GSX

FTX Global
FTX Vector

Freeware Global Mesh

FTX Regions

Airports

I also start, test and shut down the sim after each individual install

Think of it as layering from the base up.  I do pretty much the same as Erich except I do addons that are not required in the core base last. (ASN, aircraft etc.)

Don't forget to install the latest Orbx Libs last after you complete your Orbx installation.

\Robert Hamlich/

I need to do this too so I can upgrade P3D versions. Hoping it will fix the CTD issues I have with every single flight now. However I am the king of procrastination so it hasnt been done yet. Just the idea of removing everything, and putting it all back makes me shudder. Having a beautiful, crash free experience in DCS is usually the culprit that keeps me from going forward.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

What the rest have said ^^^

Also....

When Installing 3rd Party Software from a known and Trusted source, follow the AAA rule,  Anti virus Software,  User Account Control,  Administrator. 

Anti virus Software:       Add the Installer to your Trusted or Exclusions Zone of your Anti virus Software + Add your Entire Prepar3D folder. 

User Account Control:  Disable your User Account Control.   Type uac into your Search bar,  Drag down to Never notify and Click Ok

Administrator:   Run Prepar3D as administrator or any other 3rd Party Software that run when Prepar3D starts,  Right Click on your Prepar3D Icon, Click Properties  Click Compatibility  Tick the Box "Run this program as administrator"  Click Apply  Do this also for any Software like EZdok, UT2 and so on

===============================

Do Not Install 3rd Party Software into ProgramFiles(86)   Pick a different location.

Create a Back up of your Original Prepar3D folder Before you Install 3rd Party Software

Do Not use the Windows in-built 'extract' feature when Extracting a Download.  Use 7zip or WinZip to Extract Downloads

Install 1 Software at a time,  Start Prepar3D and insure everything is working Ok,  If you have any problems at that stage Issues are easier to Diagnose and sort out.   when you are happy that everything is working perfect,  Then proceed to Install the next one.

Unless you know what your doing,  Use only Compatible Installers for your Version of Prepar3D

Those pesky CTD's!!  I too am thinking of reinstalling after the release of AS16 and ASCA.  Thanks for chiming in Elaine, I thought you had done a post at one time on how to install addons as well, I will definitely be following your post when the time comes to take the plunge and update from 3.2 up.

\Robert Hamlich/

I just replaced a mother board, and all I had to do was, after the first Boot, Reactivate Windows. If You are still using the same Hard Drive with the same Operating System Installed, Everything should remain Installed, and Windows Will notice the New Hardware, and ask You to Reactivate, and then let You know how to go about doing it, which is really Not a Problem. Unless You Really Want to put Yourself through all that Aggravation ??

Johnman :Doh:

If I may add one more thing to the mix that I haven't seen mentioned - IMHO, after installing any large bit of software, I reboot the system. Takes longer but I feel that some installers leave bits of garbage around which can occasionally mess up a following install. Another good idea IF you are running an HDD and not as SSD is to defrag after all the installs are done.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Is it this one Robert?   Its just a basic Guide really on Installing Prepar3D and 3rd Party Software.  

http://www.avsim.com/topic/481623-my-link-thread/?p=3422126

Not quite, I might have got it mixed up with a post by someone else.  Great work so far and very informative, you've done a great job of explaining things.

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks for the great advice, everyone.

Anyone have any experience with Johnman's comment?  Hadn't thought of that.  I do have multiple, complete backups of my P3D install and files; and Windows will remain untouched unless I wipe it out and start over.  I just assumed everything would need to be officially installed from scratch.

Ron

After You get the Hardware Swapped out, it certainly would not hurt to Boot the system, Worked for Me, I don't even think I entered a key, went to the Web site, Their Gizmo Looked at My Gizmo, saw a Valid Installation, and said "GO PLAY" ! Johnman B)

after installing any large bit of software, I reboot the system. Takes longer but I feel that some installers leave bits of garbage around which can occasionally mess up a following install

Yes Vic, very good 

Not quite, I might have got it mixed up with a post by someone else

It was probably this one,  Its a bit dated now to be honest but just skimming the surface of some of the methods of Installing outside the Folder 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482427-how-do-i-install-add-ons-outside-the-prepar3d-v3-core-folder/

'HUSSAR', on 29 Jun 2016 - 5:18 PM, said:
Not quite, I might have got it mixed up with a post by someone else

It was probably this one,  Its a bit dated now to be honest but just skimming the surface of some of the methods of Installing outside the Folder 

http://www.avsim.com...v3-core-folder/

Yes that is it!  I messed up my Prepar3D 3.2 installation yesterday so I have gone ahead and installed v3.3, it was quick and painless.  I plan on following your methods to install everything.

@Ron, how is the reinstall going?  Lots of good tips here.

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

Rob,

New Mobo has not arrived yet - so, impatiently waiting!

Yes, lots of great advice from everyone here.  Much appreciated!

Ron