Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Can one "dual-boot" with Windows 10?

After using Windows 10 on my laptops fro several months and on a A-I-O HP desktop I have grown to like Win10 and think I might convert my flightsim PC from Win7 to 10.  From research seems it will be compatible with what I have so purchasing "upgrades" a various software are a minimum at best.  So a few questions for those who have been using Win 10 for awhile:

1. I have one PC setup that has Win7/Win XP dual boot.  I would like to retain the XP to run old versions of MS Flight Simulator.  Do you think upgrading to Win 10 will wipe out the WinXP dual-boot option?  XP is on a different partition but not sure Win 10 install will do in this situation.

2.  Anybody using the Windows Media Center "3rd party un-official" patch with Windows 10?  WMC is no longer available with Win 10.  I port that PC for my home entertainment operations and works very well with Win7 so just curious if anyone is using that software with Windows 10?

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

1. I have one PC setup that has Win7/Win XP dual boot.

I had two SSD with w7 installed and then proceed to upgrade win 10 after reboot on win 10 Faststart change permision on W7 ssd and compromise the MBR so I lost w7.

My advice is to unplug hd with winxp then install win10 in separate ssd or hd and then disable faststart; but be carefull on updating win 10 it can change option setting.

If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.

I have several OS's from XP to W10 and use Easy BCD from Neo Smart Technologies and works perfectly .

You might want to clone your W7 disk and install W10 on that . Did this myself with no problems .

John