Sign in to follow this  
madfred

Linda 2.8.1v1 not reading serial numbers/device names

Hello,

First of all, congrats with the 5 year anniversary. :good: 

I installed the new Linda 2.8.1v1 after removing all linda files and folders from the Modules folder.(YES, I did back up the aircraft folders).

After copying back the linda and linda-cfg aircraft folders, I loaded up FSX-Acc, chose the default Cessna 172, and after loading the flight I started Linda.
An error popped up stating that the device config file could not be found, Linda Tracer is grayed out. and the MCP states there is an error (I do not have an MCP). I have Linda fix the FSUIPC(even though I don't think there was an issue with the FSUIPC.ini file)

The joystick settings show that the devices names that I preset are not being read, and also the Serial numbers are gone,

After re-entering the device names, I can re-assign functions, but all the original custom assignments are gone.

I can revert back to Linda 2.6.7 with no problems.  :help:  

A day without laughter, is a day without living.

Hello,

First of all, congrats with the 5 year anniversary. :good: 

I installed the new Linda 2.8.1v1 after removing all linda files and folders from the Modules folder.(YES, I did back up the aircraft folders).

After copying back the linda and linda-cfg aircraft folders, I loaded up FSX-Acc, chose the default Cessna 172, and after loading the flight I started Linda.

An error popped up stating that the device config file could not be found, Linda Tracer is grayed out. and the MCP states there is an error (I do not have an MCP). I have Linda fix the FSUIPC(even though I don't think there was an issue with the FSUIPC.ini file)

The joystick settings show that the devices names that I preset are not being read, and also the Serial numbers are gone,

After re-entering the device names, I can re-assign functions, but all the original custom assignments are gone.

I can revert back to Linda 2.6.7 with no problems.  :help:

Hi Manfred

The Tracer and Editor are disabled if Developer mode is not set on the LINDA Setup page. By default this is off because not all users are developers.

The warning is caused because you have a joystick device listed in your Default FSX config-hid.lua file which is not recognised or plugged in. This warning is shown to prevent errors when the LUA engine starts. What was the device listed?

To fix it you need to copy back both your aircrafts folders (\linda\aircrafts and \linda-cfg\aircrafts) AND you need to restore the \linda-cfg\system\config-hid.lua. Open this last file in notepad and check that the number of the second line matches the total number of devices you have (J[0]=x). This file is critical the first time you run LINDA 2.8.1 further down the file you will see all you device names and serial numbers. Before you start LINDA make sure all your devices and plugged in. If you see the error dialog, note the problem devices listed. If you select Abort nothing is written to disk until you edit the current aircraft config-hid.lua to remove the offending device block.

If you are not seeing your previous custom assignments there you do not have the correct aircraft config-hid.lua file restored (for the default C172 it is in \linda-cfg\aircrafts\Default FSX\).

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Thank you for the prompt response.

There was one device (joystick) unplugged, as I had the yoke plugged in. I never have then plugged in at the same time, as they will interfere with axis inputs.It has never been a problem with previous Linda updates. But I was going to give your suggestion a try.
Result: no more device error, besides the MCP error. But only some assignments were working, even though none of the assignments were showing on the joystick page (similar to another post from someone on this site)

So I went back again (for the x'ed time, lol) and cleared all files and folders related to Linda from the modules folder.

Then pasted the 2.8.1 version in the Modules folder and added the Linda and Linda-cfg aircraft backup from the 2.6.7 version.
Loaded FSX-Acc and Linda. Getting the error that the device config file could not be found.
I closed Linda, and added the system\config-hid.lua from the 2.6.7 backup (which does have the device names listed.)

Now all assignments are working again, but the device names are all "UNKNOWN".

Guess naming the devices no longer transfer's with an update, and we should also make sure to back up the Linda-cfg/system/config-hid.lua file.

Also, if you do not have an MCP combo, Linda will throw an error, and you will have to reload  Linda to enable the devices.

Thank you for the prompt response.

There was one device (joystick) unplugged, as I had the yoke plugged in. I never have then plugged in at the same time, as they will interfere with axis inputs.It has never been a problem with previous Linda updates. But I was going to give your suggestion a try.

Result: no more device error, besides the MCP error. But only some assignments were working, even though none of the assignments were showing on the joystick page (similar to another post from someone on this site)

So I went back again (for the x'ed time, lol) and cleared all files and folders related to Linda from the modules folder.

Then pasted the 2.8.1 version in the Modules folder and added the Linda and Linda-cfg aircraft backup from the 2.6.7 version.

Loaded FSX-Acc and Linda. Getting the error that the device config file could not be found.

I closed Linda, and added the system\config-hid.lua from the 2.6.7 backup (which does have the device names listed.)

Now all assignments are working again, but the device names are all "UNKNOWN".

Guess naming the devices no longer transfer's with an update, and we should also make sure to back up the Linda-cfg/system/config-hid.lua file.

Also, if you do not have an MCP combo, Linda will throw an error, and you will have to reload  Linda to enable the devices.

Thank you for your progress report. Once you have all the devices recognised with your 2.8.1 installation you can unplug unwanted devices as are now "known".

The MCP error suggests you either have a MCP enabled or changes have been applied to the file fsuipc4.ini. You can edit the file to delete the lines starting [VRINSIGHT] and Com=x.

The UNKNOWN labels should not have occurred if the \system\config-hid.lua.sys from your backup was restored. The recommended installation for LINDA 2.8.1 because it is such a large change was to to backup and delete all LINDA files and folders from the modules directory.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Thank you for your progress report. Once you have all the devices recognised with your 2.8.1 installation you can unplug unwanted devices as are now "known".

The MCP error suggests you either have a MCP enabled or changes have been applied to the file fsuipc4.ini. 

he recommended installation for LINDA 2.8.1 because it is such a large change was to to backup and delete all LINDA files and folders from the modules directory.

So last night (yeah really "NIGHT" LOL) I could not resist and and started up my flight simulator computer to give this update another try to see if I could get the device labels back.

As stated earlier, I have a backup of the modules folder from before the 2.8.1 update.

First I edited the FSUIPC.ini file to remove the [VRINSIGHT] listing that was added by Linda, after hitting the fix button.

Followed the steps as listed in the install, and made sure ALL devices were connected. Loaded FSX and Linda and all was working except still no device names. Closed Linda, added the system/config-hid.lua file again.

Reloaded Linda again, and..... Hurrah!! there are my device names.

No idea why I had to add that file twice, but it did solve my issue.

One thing I would suggest to be added to the Installation instructions, is to mention having ALL devices connected before upgrading to the new version.

This was never an issue in previous versions, but certainly is important with version 2.8.1.

Again, thanks for a great product.

Hi Manfred

I am glad you have everything working. The \linda-cfg\system\config-hid.lua file is reconstructed every time it is write to disk and it is written repeatedly while LINDA is running. I have done some work to reduce the number of unnecessary writes. I need to do some more work. I will take another look at the release notes as you suggest. Happy flying.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK