Sign in to follow this  
tremor595

Aerosoft 25% off on many titles...

Why are some of these cheaper at Simmarket where they're not on sale?  Is that an elephant in the room?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Why are some of these cheaper at Simmarket where they're not on sale?  Is that an elephant in the room?

Simmarket is only a distribution platform; to that end, they don't control prices. The developer sets the price point and Simmarket gets a portion (25% or 30%) of each sale...

Matt King

Simmarket is only a distribution platform; to that end, they don't control prices. The developer sets the price point and Simmarket gets a portion (25% or 30%) of each sale...

That doesn't answer his question... If it was just the dev all stores would have the same price...

That doesn't answer his question... If it was just the dev all stores would have the same price.

What are you taking about? Obviously manufacturers/developers alter prices based on several factors; to that point, not every item you purchase is the exact same price in every store. In what world does that paradigm exist? It varies based on several market factors (e.g. region and demographics); it's up to the consumer to do their research and find the best price available.  Additionally, prices will fluctuate based on the distributors "cut."  Specifically, if Simmarket takes 25% of each sale, and PilotShop takes 40%, items sold via the latter will have higher price points. Perhaps PilotShop can justify the higher "cuts" based on network traffic (i.e. they have x amount of page hits above their competitors).  From a developers perspective, maybe their software isn't selling well on a specific platform; thus, they feel compelled to offer a sale price to attract more sales via that venue.  There's also the difference in currency exchange to consider, which depends on the operating locatiosn of the developers and/or distributors. There are countless possibilities to explain the price gaps; however, neither PilotShop nor Simmarket sets sale prices...that's up to the developers.   I'm curious to understand, exactly, what you're implying?  Are you suggesting some nefarious activity?   

Matt King

Your comments contradict each other... On the first one you say "they are just a distribution platform","it's the dev", "they don't control prices"... But on the last one you say different stores take different %... So it's not just the dev, they DO control the final price, and THAT's the answer to his question as to why simmarket would be cheaper in that case...

Edit: also that paradigm exists EVERYWHERE, that's what "msrp" is... If then some stores decide to male less profit and offer sales that's a different story.

Guys, I think it would be good if we could just focus on the stuff that's on sale and forget about why.  It's business, that's all, and people want to read about bargains.

Any of these titles any good?  I've never bought a PacSim title but I've heard some good things.  No Greek aerosoft airports...which is what I was looking for. *sigh*  I've wanted Venice but I wonder about P3D compatibility there.  Any thoughts?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

What I did to get Skiathos was to buy from PCAviator.au on their 10%-off tuesday, it's a small saving but helps.And it's very good :)

At that time the exchange rate for ozzie dollars was good too which helped as well :)

Current exchange rates and economic prospects suggest financial prudence, so the sales are of academic interest only right now... :(

Venice I think is pretty old - when I last saw it.

So is the real thing of course :) but in a different way :)

Cheers

Keith

Guys, I think it would be good if we could just focus on the stuff that's on sale and forget about why.  It's business, that's all, and people want to read about bargains.

Any of these titles any good?  I've never bought a PacSim title but I've heard some good things.  No Greek aerosoft airports...which is what I was looking for. *sigh*  I've wanted Venice but I wonder about P3D compatibility there.  Any thoughts?

Pacsim Ninoy AquinoIntl (RPLL) is outstanding! I have most of their airports as hubs purely for PMDG because they have virtually zero FPS impact, except for Ninoy AquinoIntl which is only moderately heavy about the same as FSDT airports.

Their work is not on par with Fly Tampa or FSDT (apart from RPLL) but they are still very nice

ZORAN

Very salient point first line..

Don't know which sim you are running,Gregg, but I just picked up a couple of Greek airports from Steam's sale at 50% reduction, not sure which developer but a quick look at them they appeared good. I have a Fly Tampa Athens which is good.

Don't know which sim you are running,Gregg, but I just picked up a couple of Greek airports from Steam's sale at 50% reduction, not sure which developer but a quick look at them they appeared good. I have a Fly Tampa Athens which is good.

I'd love FlyTampa to have a 4th of July sale...Athens, Corfu, Montreal, Toronto, Hong Kong.  I hear they even have an airport down by Antarctica...Sidney, I think it's called?

Gregg Seipp

Aah, Sydney, I have that. Again, up to FT's standards/ I'm after Corfu, Montreal and Toronto like you too.

We can live in hope for the 4th Of July firesale.

I sometimes see the Aerosofts' Catalina on sale - again this time.

Does anyone know if she is still working in P3Dv3.3 ? - I like the look of this Flying Boat very much and was tempted a couple of times, but was always able to control my moods. So, should I pick her up this time?

Thanks and Cheers

Frank

You're the one who initiated the topic by implying "an elephant" (i.e. nefarious activity) in the room. I think it's a little disingenuous to make that statement, then swoop in and implore me to stay on topic? I'd like to know precisely what you meant by that comment?

Matt King

You're the one who initiated the topic...

It might be wise to just check prices at both places.

Gregg Seipp