Sign in to follow this  
darth_damian_000

Some Windows 10 Questions

Another approach in order to try before you buy (into Win10 issues), is to simply set up a dual boot. You just need maybe 100gb somewhere on your Win 7 system - hopefully SSD space, make a fresh install of Win10 (install P3D on it - L-M is OK with that - i.e. you now have two different installs of P3D - allows you to try v3.2 and then 3.3 for example). I like the flexibility and the cleanliness of fresh installs under WIn10. I will admit that I still end up on Win7 more often just because I have a lot of apps there. I feel the Win10 and P3D is smoother - fewer stutters - especially for Oculus Rift flying.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

1) Do I simply upgrade to windows 10, and things remain as is? Do I have to uninstall and install my P3D and all of their add-ons?

2) For those of you who upgraded, are you regretting it? How was the transition for you?

I had the sneaky forced install courtesy of Microsoft which was a surprise and made me look upon Win10 with great suspicion, however apart from a couple of drivers my upgrade from Win7 has been smooth sailing, with no problems what so ever. My Win7 install was several years old, and therefore far from fresh, which was a concern for me in making the jump, but my fears it seems were unfounded.

So....

1. For me everything remained as is, and as far as P3D (FSX and all my other games and sims) was concerned I had to do nothing at all.

2. I hated the fact MS forced it on me, but as it was something I intended (in my own time) to do, and there has been NO problems I am happy to be on the latest OS with the most up to date driver and development support. I like it very much and consider it one of the best OS's I've used yet. I liked WinXP and Win7 and this is as good as both of those in stability and function.

An IT friend of mine feels that since Microsoft 's income is mostly derived from selling their OS, that this "free" Windows 10, won't be forever, and what will happen is they will start selling subscriptions like they do with office. A yearly fee to keep your OS up to date, since there will not be a windows 11 or 12, the present 10 will just be upgraded every year. Most likely, that is why it is free now. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Bob pretty much nails it, MS is not going to give out free operating systems and then update them at zero cost.

Just like Apple does with Mac OS. Everything will depend on the cost of the update.

I agree with Bob that soon it will be subscription based.  Until another OS comes out unfortunately we are stuck with Windows whether free or a yearly cost; there is no other option unless LM or DTG start supporting Mac or Linux.

We can try to hold onto 7 for as long as possible but eventually in the next few years we all need to move on as hardware manufactures are already making the move to Windows 10.

Sean Green

My humble opinion is that a subscription OS will never happen. That will really shoot MS in the foot. Paying for updates? Nah. Selling OS's is actually a very small portion of MS's business. Certainly NOT their core business plan.

I also think that holding onto an old OS like Windows 7 is pretty much counterproductive, as newer software & hardware are being optimised to work together better. DX11 & DX12 springs to mind.

My Windows 10 upgrade went seamlessly, with only a web cam driver problem on my Windows 7 laptop. My laptop has a 'house brand generic webcab, with the last drivers being released in 2007! I fly 3x versions of FS9 & a version of P3D on this laptop. No issues at all.

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Most licenses are OEM and tied to the PC purchased. Should the PC motherboard fail you are supposed to get a new Windows license - enough said.

After Microsoft's stunt trying to automatically upgrade the OS on existing systems, you will have to forgive me for not giving a damn about that. As for Windows 7 support ending in January 2020, that is three and a half years from now. I will be purchasing a new PC long before then, so "upgrading" a perfectly working Windows 7 PC now is (IMO) completely pointless. The fact that it is free is irrelevant.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

For those in doubt maybe a different way of thinking about the free upgrade is in order.

Perhaps consider how updating to Windows 10 may improve your gaming experience in the months and years to come.

There is possibly 2 or more generations of graphic cards, chipsets and CPU upgrades due before 2020. Windows 10 supports DirectX12. Win10 is reportedly on 350M systems and growing. What system do we think the developers of both software and hardware will be targeting in a year or two?

I've taken the view that I want to take advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade now as I know when I eventually upgrade that my more than adequate i7 with 32GB Ram will see good use elsewhere in my family. And I'll take quiet satisfaction that I have an operating system installed that will likely outlast the life of the device for free.

If we forget free for a moment - if your Win7 system failed tomorrow and you do not have a retail license of Windows 7 what version of Windows would you buy.

Of course none of this means sticking with Win7 is wrong, it's just an alternative view for the OP and others to consider.

A bunch of points follow.

1. The free offer expires 29 July 2016. It might be possible this could be extended but that remains to be seen.

2. There is no "key" associated with the free upgrade. You get what is called a "Digital Entitlement" to Windows 10 for the life of the device. There is debate as to what life means. It seems you will be able to replace Ram and HDD without much issue. I believe you may have a problem if the motherboard fails, which is the same as it works now unless you own a retail copy of Win7/8. We will see. This entitlement information is kept in the cloud and "tied" to your systems unique hardware combination. Should you need to reinstall Windows 10 your Digital Entitlement will be discovered once online and reactivated. Microsoft recently started to add this info to your Microsoft ID if you use one as there have been issues with the reactivation process for some users. This change will assist in providing proof of entitlement.

3. There has been no promises made about future updates being free per say. If you get Win10 now for free, Microsoft will support it with patches, improvements for the life of your device. When it dies you have to buy a new license and so on.

4. A purchased license or a license included with new hardware has a key and is activated the same as Win7 and Win8.

5. There is no method to write your digital entitlement to the BIOS. In some computers most notably laptops the license for Win7 and Win8 may have been put in the BIOS by the manufacturer. This will save hunting for your license key when you want to do clean install.

6. On the subject of clean installs you can now enter a valid Win7/Win8 key during a clean install. This negates the need to do a in place upgrade to get a digital entitlement and then to wipe and do a clean install.

7. The preview of Windows 10 Anniversary update due 2 Aug 2016 has some welcome improvements to the start menu. Get rid of those horrid live tiles and it begins to look very classy.

I hope there is some useful info here.

Cheers,

howevr

Makes sense! Thanks for the info.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Read in the news today that Valve, creators of Steam are reporting that Windows 10 has over taken Windows 7 as the most common version of the Windows OS being used by Steam users. Something like 42% of all PC's currently running Steam are Windows 10 machines and this number is growing.

By stretching things a little :) one could imply that therefore that a great percentage of people that use their PC's for gaming/recreation (including simulation training) are making the change.

Will probably be a spike as the D-day for no more free upgrades approaches.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor