Sign in to follow this  
sohearn

Key Commands for Engines

It seems I can command pretty much everything by keyboard except the engines. Yes, I know, get a throttle. But I kind of like the flexibility of the keyboard too. I know I can't just throttle back to flight idle like a jet but can't I adjust power when I need it?

Is the AFE locking the keyboard out? Can I slap him so he stops? I tried yelling at him when we were about to fly into the ground but to no avail. I had to order a run of the checklist to get climb power.

Welcome to the forum. Full names - first and last - are required to be placed in posts here.

Is the AFE locking the keyboard out?

Yes.

Can I slap him so he stops?

If you want to, though in any case where he's controlling the throttles, I'm not sure why you'd want to.

I tried yelling at him when we were about to fly into the ground but to no avail.

You can either hit 'abort' and control manually, or better yet, plan your flight path a little better.

Kyle Rodgers

The AFE does things based on the checklist flow in play. That's fine until your flight plan is toast.

What if I need to do a go around? I'll want to firewall the aircraft. Instead I'm expected to choose the best flow? 

I'll try the "Abort" button.

Thanks for the advice on planning my flight.

The AFE does things based on the checklist flow in play. That's fine until your flight plan is toast.

If your flight plan is toast, you should still be able to fit within your flows.

What if I need to do a go around? I'll want to firewall the aircraft. Instead I'm expected to choose the best flow?

You advance the throttles and go around. The props are already at 2400 and you already have control of the throttles after running the before landing checklist, so just advance, pitch up, and bring flaps to 20 and climb out.

I'll try the "Abort" button.

This is definitely what you want when you want command of everything at any point.

Thanks for the advice on planning my flight.

You're welcome. It wasn't meant as a slight by the way, but if you're getting in trouble, then you're behind the airplane. With an old radial that doesn't have the performance of today's jets, it's definitely easy to do.

Don't forget to add your name to your posts, please.

Kyle Rodgers

"Don't forget to add your name to your posts, please."

I tried to find where I can that but didn't. Must be on the floor with my flight plan. Ha. ha.

BTW the early jets weren't much better than props. I remember some scary times in early KC-135s.

"Don't forget to add your name to your posts, please."

I tried to find where I can that but didn't. Must be on the floor with my flight plan. Ha. ha.

There's an automated signature function in your user settings, but the software they're running on the server won't let you use the function until your account has been active for a month or so for some reason.

I'm just asking you to type your name into the body of your post, though. Just like ending an email or letter (no need for a salutation, though).

BTW the early jets weren't much better than props. I remember some scary times in early KC-135s.

I can only imagine!

Kyle Rodgers