Sign in to follow this  
JYW

Very long load times

I'm having an absolute ball in XP10 but the only thing slightly spoiling the show, is that the sim is taking a very long time to load. I'm talking about up to 15 minutes each time I start X-Plane. I do have a lot of scenery installed in the custom scenery library including photo scenery and HD mesh. Would these be the cause of the very long loading times? Should I be deactivating large scenery files such as photo scenery for HD mesh that I'm not using in a given flight? Any other tips at all to reduce load times would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

I'm having an absolute ball in XP10 but the only thing slightly spoiling the show, is that the sim is taking a very long time to load. I'm talking about up to 15 minutes each time I start X-Plane. I do have a lot of scenery installed in the custom scenery library including photo scenery and HD mesh. Would these be the cause of the very long loading times? Should I be deactivating large scenery files such as photo scenery for HD mesh that I'm not using in a given flight? Any other tips at all to reduce load times would be gratefully received. Thanks.

This is not FSX, therefore you can have everything in your sceneryfile. x-plane will load only what you need.

The loading times is because x-plane is loading everything ahead of time and therefore you dont have the blurries like you have in fsx/p3d. The downside is the longer waiting times.  Appart from going to SSD or atleast a fast HDD there is little you can do.  15 minutes does seem a little bit long though, usually i am around 5 ish minutes.

ps:  just for clarification, are you talking about starting x-plane or loading a plane and starting at an airport ?

ps:  just for clarification, are you talking about starting x-plane or loading a plane and starting at an airport ?

Thanks.

I don't use the 'quick fly' menu dialogue so when I start XP10 it just loads directly to the last aircraft/airport I was at. So I think the answer is the 2nd of your scenarios; the delay is in XP10 loading to the ready to play state.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

15 minutes is indeed a very long time: a great number of custom sceneries could and couldn't be the reason by itself, is it possible that you have some plugin(s) that check for every custom scenery at startup (such Airport Navigator)?

Have you already tried to remove (remove, not disable) every added plugin in order to check if load time is reduced?

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

Do you have W2XP scenery? That, combined with photoscenery can give long loading times, especially in Europe. If you have scenery you don't use in the same area you are flying in, disabling them can increase loading times

An SSD is an absolute must if you can afford one, it makes a big difference. My sim loads in about 30 seconds now, and it's painful now not to use one.

• Upvote 2

Another help is more cores/threads. I went from the four core i5 to a 6 core 12 thread i7 which dramatically reduced loading times with photoscenery etc. I used to have to wait 15 minutes too, down to about three now. No SSD here, too much scenery.

Another help is more cores/threads. I went from the four core i5 to a 6 core 12 thread i7 which dramatically reduced loading times with photoscenery etc. I used to have to wait 15 minutes too, down to about three now. No SSD here, too much scenery.

this is a only halfway true.

More cores is indeed better however with a big caveat. You need to have GhZ.  a 12 core with 3.2 ghz will give less performance than a 6 core with 3,8 GhZ. X-Plane is not really using multithreading to its fullest. The First core is still used the most and is the limiting factor for all other cores.

I had the same issue - the answer is actually ver simple. Clean up your PC.

Had 10-15 minutes loading times, poor performance and "lower than I should have" FPS.

Reinstalled the sytem, got X-Plane back with same addons and even cranked the settings significantly higher. Loading timesa re under 2 miutes tops and I have never had such a smooth game before. 

Personally, I wouldn't consider using X-Plane if I hadn't an SSD.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I've got same problem. A stock install of 10.10 updated to 10.50b4, still loading after an hour!!!!!!!   Just . . . . . . damn, why can't engineers write code that works!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Buh bye XP10, going back to FSX, which I have working well at the time. Gonna put my money into quality addons for FSX and not waste any more time on your KLUDGE.

Yeah, I'm angry, so what?  

-The Curmudgeon

I've got same problem. A stock install of 10.10 updated to 10.50b4, still loading after an hour!!!!!!!   Just . . . . . . damn, why can't engineers write code that works!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Buh bye XP10, going back to FSX, which I have working well at the time. Gonna put my money into quality addons for FSX and not waste any more time on your KLUDGE.

-The Curmudgeon

yeah. thats not how betas work. 10.50b4 is beta. it will have issues with loading times and broken code. 

you can be angry about it all you want. But dont you think in the grand scheme of things its something stupid to be angry about? 

either way enjoy what you like man

I couldn't imagine 15 minutes. I'm far too impatient for that.

I have XP10 10.45 installed on an SSD and I guess it loads relatively quickly.  I always thought it was bit slow (I did say I was impatient), so after reading the above comments I just timed it - payware KTNP, HD Mesh, SMP, Alabeo DA42, I went from the quickflight setup screen to fully loaded, frame-rate stabilized. and clouds fully showing in 1:27.10 (less than 2 minutes).

For the sake of comparison, I then loaded up P3Dv3 which is installed on the same SSD, with the same payware KTNP, MSE South California, ASN + REX, Carenado A36 since I don't have the DA42 for P3D - and from hitting okay in the scenario setup, to having everything loaded and ready to fly, the time was 1:13.64. Only 14 seconds quicker.

If there's some that are facing 15 minutes or longer, well, I guess I 'll try and quit being so impatient! :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I can't work out if you're being sarcastic or not (and I hope you are). It's a beta with a big warning, what did you expect?. Why didn't you upgrade to 10.45?

Hi Bill,

I had same issue few monthes ago. My issue was an incorrect order of the sceneries in the scenery_pack.ini in Custom sceneries.

Try using xOrganizer program that does the job of ordering the entries in the ini file.

Another advice : HD Mesh is very loong to load. 

Try this : 

- run xOrganizer. it will automatically organizse the entries

- disable HD Mesh and world2XP sceneries with xOrganiser

- defrag the x-plane folder and disable the antvirus on x-plane full directory

- run x-plane to check the loading time

Guillaume

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

A followup to my post about XPX taking a millenium to load.:

Tonywob: On my first install of XPX I did upgrade to 10.45, ran fine for a day, then ran into OOM issues. Did the BCEDIT suggested by developer blog, didn't help.Wiped XPX from HDD and reinstalled, upgraded to the beta  and added three HD mesh scenery pkgs(Yes I knew there might be problems), I didn't expect it to take an hour plus just to start up.

There's a problem with the whole program. I'm trying to live on Social Security (Thanks for stealing MY money US Congress - that's a post for some other place, I know) so upgrading to 20 GB ram as suggested is not an option.  That's what makes me so angry after spending money on this program Saed.

Please don't reply, I'm going away now and will not bother you people again.