Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Tom Hanks plays Sully in new movie (engine out Hudson landing)

Thanks, Gregg. Looking forward to its release.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks for the H/U -- will be a first day seating for me.  I am not crazy about the film's  implication from the investigators, but I am only guessing this was added for "dramatical effect".

Two paragraphs from the official NTSB report stand out for me --

"7. If the accident engines’ electronic control system had been capable of informing the flight
crewmembers about the continuing operational status of the engines, they would have been
aware that thrust could not be restored and would not have spent valuable time trying to
relight the engines, which were too damaged for any pilot action to make operational.

15. The captain’s decision to ditch on the Hudson River rather than attempting to land at an
airport provided the highest probability that the accident would be survivable."

Hope you are enjoying retirement Sully, God Bless...  :drinks:

• Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

In the preview it has investigators saying that a simulation shows he could have made it back to the airport, and that one of the engines was still turning.  Anyone know if it is true such charges were raised?

Mike

Edit:

VCarlo, thanks for the quotes from the report.  We posted at about the same time.  Of course it is still possible that questions were raised during the investigation, but I have to wonder whether anyone ever did more than leave no stone unturned, as is customary in such investigations.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Of course it is still possible that questions were raised during the investigation, but I have to wonder whether anyone ever did more than leave no stone unturned, as is customary in such investigations

I agree Mike, but I feel we always want "no stone unturned".  My guess is that movie studios are well aware that "controversy" sells tickets  :smile: .  All they have to do is state "Based on a true story"   This way probably less than 5% of the population will know what the NTSB REALLY concluded .

WAT1460.png

I agree Mike, but I feel we always want "no stone unturned". My guess is that movie studios are well aware that "controversy" sells tickets :smile: . All they have to do is state "Based on a true story" This way probably less than 5% of the population will know what the NTSB REALLY concluded .

I just hope this doesn't sully Sully's reputation (couldn't resist).  Hopefully the film will show that no criticism of him persisted after the conclusion of the investigation.

Justin Beiber was practically born to play the role of Sully.

He certainly has the gravitas, appearance of wisdom and discipline to play this role.  Wonder why they ever picked Tom Hanks?   Another possibility:  Pee Wee Herman (I think he's still around).

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

How do you make a movie of a couple of minute event?

• Upvote 2

Looks promising, thanks for posting, Greg!

How do you make a movie of a couple of minute event?

Was thinkiung the same...how do you translate 3 minuets of action into a 90 min movie?  Hopefully it will be aviation related filler and not typical Hollywood crap....

Matt King

It would appear that they are concentrating on the aftermath of the event including the mandatory NTSB investigation rather than the event itself. That could fill volumes.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The 737 at the 30 second mark has scimitar winglets that weren't out at the time of the event.

Literally unwatchable!

• Upvote 2

It's been awhile, but my impression from reading the CVR transcript was that returning to LGA was not an option due to traffic. ATC cleared them with vectors a couple times to nearby airports, I think TET. The first thing Sully said was "QRH loss of thrust on both engines" and the F/O went to work while Sully flew the plane.

There was precious little time in which to consider their options. They handled it masterfully. Hollywood can do what they like, but reading that transcript, all the drama happens within about 90 seconds.

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

It will be interesting to see what aircraft exteriors and cockpits they use in the movie since Hollywood generally does a poor job of using mockups of the actual aircraft that they are trying to portray.

I'll get a laugh if they show the inside of a 747 cockpit or something else not even similar to an Airbus. Although most movie watchers won't know the difference, most aviation fanatics will probably be checking out all the details.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It will be interesting to see what aircraft exteriors and cockpits they use in the movie since Hollywood generally does a poor job of using mockups of the actual aircraft that they are trying to portray.

I'll get a laugh if they show the inside of a 747 cockpit or something else not even similar to an Airbus. Although most movie watchers won't know the difference, most aviation fanatics will probably be checking out all the details.

Watching the trailer, that's an A320 cockpit, so it looks like they got that right.

NAX669.png