Sign in to follow this  
Stearmandriver

MCE - can custom callouts be triggered by specific events?

Hello all,

I'm really intrigued by the flexibility of MCE and I'll be giving it a try. I've read up on how to create customized flows and checklists and I know I'll enjoy playing with that. But I'm wondering if it's possible to create custom callouts as well, that are triggered by certain conditions...

For instance, let's say I'm trying to exactly replicate my company's profile for a CAT III approach. The FO's callout at 500ft is "500 feet, flare armed, AIII, rollout armed", to which the captain responds "AIII".

So I know this is getting complex, but is it possible to trigger that dialogue by the occurence of, say, reaching 500agl with both autopilots armed?

You get the idea. I know that's expecting an awful lot, and I'll be purchasing MCE either way probably, I'm just curious if it's possible to exert that level of customization. I'm comfortable tweaking and scripting to probably a more involved level than the average user...

Thanks, and nice work!

Andrew Crowley

So I know this is getting complex, but is it possible to trigger that dialogue by the occurence of, say, reaching 500agl with both autopilots armed?

While it's possible to add speech you would utter yourself (example "all"), it's not something you could script yourself as it requires awareness of current radio altimeter that trigger those call-outs.

It's something we'd have to code. And quite happy to do it, shall I say.

It could start with a briefing like "we're making a cat three approach to runway XXX" (or other variations) and FO would know what to do on short final.

Hello all,

I'm really intrigued by the flexibility of MCE and I'll be giving it a try. I've read up on how to create customized flows and checklists and I know I'll enjoy playing with that. But I'm wondering if it's possible to create custom callouts as well, that are triggered by certain conditions...

For instance, let's say I'm trying to exactly replicate my company's profile for a CAT III approach. The FO's callout at 500ft is "500 feet, flare armed, AIII, rollout armed", to which the captain responds "AIII".

You get the idea. I know that's expecting an awful lot, and I'll be purchasing MCE either way probably, I'm just curious if it's possible to exert that level of customization. I'm comfortable tweaking and scripting to probably a more involved level than the average user...

Thanks, and nice work!

Hello.

What I would do in the meantime is, when the FO calls "500 feet", I would relpy "Five hundred feet" or anything really, it doesn't matter. Then make a simple Vox Script flow that uses "Notify" command only. Enter the Notify spoken phrase you require, in your case its, "500 feet, flare armed, AIII, rollout armed".

The result is, FO calls "500 feet", you reply "Five Hundred feet", this triggers the Vox Script flow with your notify command,"500 feet, flare armed, AIII, rollout armed".

Using Notify in a Vox Script means you can trigger any further FO phrase. You could even add a "Sound" file that gets triggered by any phrase you speak. You can record your own sound file as a .wav file and insert it. Its a really great feature of MCE, lots of fun as well as an aid to accuracy if your a professional wanting realism.

Regards

David

Hmmm thanks guys... this sounds like lots of fun! I'm relatively new to the flight sim community still; I got involved by wondering if it was possible to use this technology to show an aspiring pilot a little bit of what we do in 737s at work. I didn't have very high expectations but I had no idea how far this has all progressed. The PMDG ngx, the ORBX scenery, ASN weather etc. make for a very realistic sandbox. We've been messing with that "other" voice control program, and it's good but limited by its lack of customization. Heck if I could accurately create our V1 cut profile and callouts, I'd use it to practice for recurrent ;-).

Andrew Crowley

Hi Andrew

My advice from personal experience, if you require accurate real world flows and checklists, forget the other product! :nea:

My primary interest is in high fidelity simulations and in particular the 1960-1970's aircraft with a crew of three. Only MCE offers a full triple crew scenario, including read only and read and do checklists that are verified by the correct crew member, i.e. Flight Engineer or First Officer accordingly.

I compiled some flows and checklists for the crew of the 727/707 and Tristar. As an example of a fire procedure I did a little move of the result here:- (A little artistic licence was added! :wink:)
https://youtu.be/J1dR4OYULsM?list=PL7227316D8D4AAA3E

As well as a learning tool for new upcoming pilots, or for long retired, long in the tooth crews, as a reminder of how good the good old days before the FMC (Fly minus co pilot) were, MCE is just the ticket :wink:

Also the MCE support for modern airliners is completely exemplary. The Airbus and NGX are supported with breath-taking accuracy, including ND parameter changes called out by the FO!

My flows can be downloaded from Avsim library. Take a peek and feel free to amend them to your level of skill, education and experience.  At the least they show how the Vox Scripts look, compared to the video in which they are used.

http://library.avsim.net/login.php?Location=%2F

No other program allows such a free hand to create flows and checklists. :smile:  Not to mention hours of fun for a retired type like myself!

Regards

David

Thanks David! Thanks for putting the videos together too. The 727 engine fire demo really shows what kind of custom procedures can be implemented, and that's just what I'm looking to do.

Only minor quibble is that the pilot monitoring is a little chatty... he seems to sometimes verbalize multiple confirmations of one action, but that's ok. There's obviously lots of fun to be had here! I look forward to trying it out when I get some time...

Andrew Crowley

Only minor quibble is that the pilot monitoring is a little chatty... he seems to sometimes verbalize multiple confirmations of one action, but that's ok. There's obviously lots of fun to be had here! I look forward to trying it out when I get some time...

Once you're up an running, you will find all options for customizing FO behaviour. He can be chatty or mono-syllabic if you prefer it that way. And there are 8 co-pilots to choose from.

In the various David's videos, you hear the FO commenting on everything he does. But that's just to allow the user to follow, since there is no physical presence..

Each flow can have the following properties.

You can trigger it with your own custom speech command or keep the existing sentence

A  "verbose" option to decide whether you want FO to perform the flow silently or comment on every step he takes.

By default, pre-made flows contain almost all actions required to setup overhead panel.

Of course, it's not like that in the real world. There isn't even a notion of flow trigger, as they are done from memory, and the checklist is expected to catch anything that may have been overlooked.

Then it's up to you to look at a specific flow, remove actions you want to perform yourself and leave the ones your SOP dictates the FO should handle.

Don't let the <Voxscript> notion intimidate you. It's not a programming language at all.

You basically create your own trigger sentence which will cause the FO to perform a chain of actions in the order and pace you dictate.

We give him his type rating so he can read and set switches and teach him the basics of good airman-ship (like flaps should be extended in increments, and not above some speed limit). Then it's up to you to make him work for you.

So, yes, emergencies can be handled too. Up to you to teach him what to do and when.

Granted, audio isn't perfect, but that's the price to pay for the customization in both checklist and FO replies.

Thanks Gerald. Yeah, the audio quality itself doesn't bother me; I understand it's the trade off between formulating intelligent responses on the fly and just playing a recorded script, and I much prefer it this way. I just meant he seemed to over-verbalize what he was doing, but now that you've explained why it makes good sense. Glad to hear that's user-selectable too.

The voxscript notation doesn't worry me; it reminds me of xml, which is about as plain-language as you can get for something that needs to be interpreted by a computer ;-).

Andrew Crowley