Sign in to follow this  
CaptainLars

Support for FS Global Real Weather?

Hi,

are there chances that PMDG might add support for FS Global Real Weather anytime?

Two issues, one is a missing feature, the other one a bug:

1) the missing WXR-functionality, which is a feature that I bought when I purchased the 777.

2) the bug that using aloft-turbulences in FSGRW causes the 777 in certain areas to behave erratically. No, it's not the temperature bug. It's that the aircraft starts to deviate from the track and is generally unable to hold a given heading (no matter if HDG or LNAV). The workaround for this issue is to turn off aloft turbulences in FSGRW.

Upon asking for this issue, FSGRW stated that you guys are not talking to them. Many people love FSGRW as much as PMDG. May I politely ask whether the chance exists that these issues could be overcome?

1) the missing WXR-functionality, which is a feature that I bought when I purchased the 777.

This is something to address with them. To my knowledge, they do not offer an actual weather radar function.

2) the bug that using aloft-turbulences in FSGRW causes the 777 in certain areas to behave erratically. No, it's not the temperature bug. It's that the aircraft starts to deviate from the track and is generally unable to hold a given heading (no matter if HDG or LNAV). The workaround for this issue is to turn off aloft turbulences in FSGRW.

This is not a bug with our product, it's a bug in the weather program's implementation. You'll note that this is not an issue with other products.

Upon asking for this issue, FSGRW stated that you guys are not talking to them. Many people love FSGRW as much as PMDG. May I politely ask whether the chance exists that these issues could be overcome?

I haven't seen anything come through the queue, so I'm not quite sure of the point being made here. If anyone has a point to discuss, they can always reach us through the support queue.

Not sure of the actual issue here, though. If Pirelli and Firestone both make tires that work very well on my car and don't cause erratic behavior, but I find that a Brand X causes erratic behavior and a bunch of road noise, I wouldn't go to my dealer and ask them to make their car more compatible with Brand X's tires...

Kyle Rodgers

This is something to address with them. To my knowledge, they do not offer an actual weather radar function.

Ah, OK.

This is not a bug with our product, it's a bug in the weather program's implementation. You'll note that this is not an issue with other products.

Neither is this an issue with other aircraft, but I just take it as you state it.

Not sure of the actual issue here, though. If Pirelli and Firestone both make tires that work very well on my car and don't cause erratic behavior, but I find that a Brand X causes erratic behavior and a bunch of road noise, I wouldn't go to my dealer and ask them to make their car more compatible with Brand X's tires...

Not sure myself about the point being made here by you. I think I just wasn't aware of how much PMDG really is the center of the world. I think it must be that.

Neither is this an issue with other aircraft, but I just take it as you state it.

Everyone programs their systems based on what they know. The problem is related to the weather/wind/turbulence engine in FSX and how it interacts with a high fidelity flight model. They may have used different methods to achieve higher fidelity, or they might have sacrificed some fidelity to make it less sensitive to the sim environment.

Not sure myself about the point being made here by you. I think I just wasn't aware of how much PMDG really is the center of the world. I think it must be that.

The point is this:

The aircraft works just fine with just about any other weather program. If the use of a particular weather program is causing erratic behavior, the issue is not the aircraft, it's the weather program.

That's not to say that a weather developer doesn't have a tough job. They have a very tough job since their very existence is to side-step the hobbled weather implementation in the sim environment. All the same, other programs have no issue providing an environment that does not disturb add-ons - to include even the default weather engine - which points to an issue of a specific implementation and not a global issue with our code.

Kyle Rodgers

Thx for the statement. I thought you had an exclusive contract with ASN and that might also play a role.