Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

Fuel left in center tanks

Hi,

I'm just being picky but as far as I know, there is always left some fuel in the center tanks, between 200-400kg

Currently the FO turns the fuel pumps off when they are completely empty.

Can a 737 pilot acknowlegde this?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Was there not a finding after the 747 exploded with fuel vapour in the center tank, to always have some fuel remaining...?

Bert

(On the Ground) During Preflight

Center tank fuel pump switches should be positioned ON only if the fuel quantity in the center tank exceeds 453kgs/1000 lbs.

Before Take off
Both center tank fuel pump switches must be OFF for takeoff if center tank fuel is less than 5000 pounds/2300 kilograms.

Climb and Cruise
If the center tank fuel pump switches were OFF for takeoff and the center tank contains more than 1000 pounds/500 kilograms, set both center tank fuel pump switches ON above 10,000 feet or after the pitch attitude has been reduced to begin acceleration to a climb speed of 250 knots or greater.
During climb, set both center tank fuel pump switches OFF when center tank fuel quantity reaches approximately 1000 pounds/500 kilograms. When established in a level attitude at cruise, if the center tank contains more than 1000 pounds/500 kilograms and the center tank fuel pump switches are
OFF, set the center tank fuel pump switches ON again.
Set both center tank fuel pump switches OFF when center tank fuel quantity reaches approximately 1000 pounds/500 kilograms

Descent Procedure
Set both center tank fuel pump switches OFF when center tank fuel quantity reaches approximately 3000 pounds/1400 kilograms.

(737NG NP FCOM Boeing Sept. 2007)

You may also see the Airworthiness Directive:

Some models have Automatic shutoff system and the procedures are different.

Emmanuel Argiropoulos

Emmanuel Argiropoulos

LGMT

https://aviation4all.wordpress.com/

Hi,

I'm just being picky but as far as I know, there is always left some fuel in the center tanks, between 200-400kg

Currently the FO turns the fuel pumps off when they are completely empty.

Can a 737 pilot acknowlegde this?

We modeled the various nuances of this, including the trigger weights.

In your case, at what stage in the flight is he turning off the pumps?

What are your units of measurement set to?

In your case, at what stage in the flight is he turning off the pumps?

What are your units of measurement set to?

I'm not entirely sure when the fuel pumps went off, but I suspect it was just prior to reaching TOC.

All it noticed that the center fuel quantity was 0.

I had loaded 8.8 T so there was about 1 T of fuel in the center tanks.

Since I was not aware of the fuel pump logic I didn't check any of the fuel pump settings on ground/taxi/ takeoff/ etc

Next time I'll check more detailed.

fuel.png

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11