Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Balkans Part 4: Corfu to Kalamata

The fourth and final part of our Balkans tour takes us from Corfu where we left off last week down the west coast of Greece and terminates at Kalamata at the south end of the Peloponnese.

Flightplans

FSX

Plan-G

Aircraft

The route is 285 nm so I recommend an aircraft capable of cruising over 150-160 knots.  I'll be in an A2A Comanche, but as always fly what you like. As everyone's flying something faster and my flight last week was a bit of disaster, I'm going to fly the Lancair Legacy.

Scenery

For Corfu we have a freeware scenery in the AVSIM library: LGKR Corfu. This is a significant improvement over the default. There are also nice payware sceneries by Aerosoft and FlyTampa.

Several of the airports we will visit are included in the Orbx Global Freeware airports for Europe so make sure you're up-to-date on these if you want to see them.

Mesolonghi (LGME) doesn't exist in FS but has been made by Vassilios Dimoulas as part of a package including the Rio Antirio Bridge (worth a little detour).  The full package is quite extensive but if you just install the airport and bridge parts (the folders in Addon Scenery) you'll have all you need for this flight.  Get the package from the AVSIM library here.

Kalamata LGKL has also been the subject of a freeware upgrade, available here in the AVSIM library.

Where and When
Date and time: Saturday 2nd July 2016, 1800 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.
teamavsim.com
Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron: please set the server start time to 1600 local time.

Update on my PC issues: I ran a RAM test and got multiple errors.  Took the DIMM modules out, put them back, retested and it passed.  No BSODs or problems since, so fingers crossed it was just memory that needed reseating.

• Upvote 1

1600 local. Aye aye Sir.

Well done on the RAM, wiped the chocolate finger prints off first I trust? (I'm assuming assistance from mini duck)

For this flight I'll be using Milviz's F100 Super Sabre. I'm loving it! :Tounge:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

I'll miss that flight again, but for a good reason: I'll get a special guided tour through the German Naval Aviation Museum "Aeronauticum" this afternoon. I will also see exebitions that are not yet open for the public, so I had to accept that date and time.

Have fun, see you next week.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

I'll miss that flight again, but for a good reason: I'll get a special guided tour through the German Naval Aviation Museum "Aeronauticum" this afternoon. I will also see exebitions that are not yet open for the public, so I had to accept that date and time.

Have fun, see you next week.

Lucky you, Gunter!  See you next week.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

A few shots from Saturday's "Balkans IV" event.. Thanks Nick!

(LGIO - Ioannina) Catching up after a quick power outage I caught this shot of Jeff landing. It could've been worse, he is awarded this week's "Landing Gear Lever" award. Just over the threshold a squawk came over the radio - "JEFF! -- Landing gear!". He did a fine job of keeping it ground effect until three greens illuminated.

02Jul16_133156_N39.69503E20.8214.jpg?dl=

The "crew" - readied from front to back. Nick in the gold/orange Legacy, Mike to the left of Nick in the red Legacy, Josh in the Blue Leagacy, Ron in his fantastic looking Lancair IV-P, Stew in the PA-31 Navajo, Jeff in the olive-ish colored Commanche & finally as "tail end charlie" (catching up), myself in the Spartan Executive.

02Jul16_133629_N39.70458E20.81429.jpg?dl

A better look at Ron, Stew & Jeff.

02Jul16_133652_N39.70526E20.81341.jpg?dl

When Nick announced "Over the Fence for zero-seven Missolonghi" (LGME), he really meant "ON the fence" !!!  :Shocked:

02Jul16_142834_N38.35577E21.47942.jpg?dl

(anim) Ron didn't have the scenery installed for LGME so he found the safest area to land... Nice!

02Jul16_142945_N38.35577E21.47942.gif?dl

(anim) Stew over the salt marshes at Mesolongi followed by the flare aiming for the numbers.  :Applause:

02Jul16_143100_N38.35577E21.47942.gif?dl

Sticking around in Stew's neighborhood while on our way to LGKF (Kefallinia), beautiful weather!

02Jul16_145133_N38.10192E20.82152.jpg?dl

(anim) Jeff coming in at LGKF followed by a "smokeless" touchdown.

02Jul16_150302_N38.11865E20.50392.gif?dl

Still hanging around with Stew in a full power climb after departing LGKF. Headin' to LGZA (Dionysios Solomos - Zakynthos).

02Jul16_151208_N38.11239E20.47378.jpg?dl

Ron coming in over the olive trees at LGKL (Kalamata AB) adjusting for a nice touchdown on the numbers.  :Applause:

02Jul16_155556_N37.07456E22.02478.gif?dl

(amim - large file) Jeff at LGKL, our final destination. A slight drift to the left entering ground effect but still on the hard surface.

02Jul16_155830_N37.07456E22.02478.gif?dl

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

It's an optical illusion, I did clear the fence (I hope!).  Slightly more concerned by the motionless prop....... :shok:

(just kidding, we already know about that)

Thanks Roman, great pics as always. :good:

Great shots as usual Roman.  Thanks for gear alert.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Thanks Gents for the comments!

Slightly more concerned by the motionless prop.......

Guess what? A light bulb went off yesterday. (and...plenty of coffee today) Someone had mentioned a couple of weeks ago that if you were in a Legacy then all the other MP Legacy's props worked. (correct?) Which means some local (L:Vars) variables were initialized and being active from one's own Legacy. L:Vars are NOT transmitted across the MP session therefore other's props didn't work unless you were in a Legacy. Using my Lua script  I retrieved and isolated the vars needed to make the prop work! So far testing has gone well and hopefully in a couple of hours it will be ready for initial MP environment testing. First is just a simple XML gauge to prove the process, next will be testing in V1 of the Legacy & finally, make a lua script for those with a registered FSUIPC so one wouldn't have to install the gauge in the aircraft one would be flying on Saturday/other. Of course if you are in a Legacy during a MP session then none of this is needed.  

Fingers crossed!

But Rob told me it can't be done because it's an FSX foible/shortcoming/flaw/imperfection/fault/defect/limitation/quirk/idiosyncrasy/eccentricity or peculiarity.(With thanks to Roget's Thesaurus)

But something tells me you are about to prove him wrong.

GO ROMAN! :dance::good: :Applause:

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Well here's my interim test. I aliased the panel over to the stock 172 therefore breaking the prop logic (simulating a MP environment) . Adjusted the prop thrust to near zero, was sick of picking the wrecked parts off the ground after hitting stuff.. LOL :LMAO: 

Here's a video showing the calculations output, 2 no start conditions, a start with runup & finally a shutdown.

Getting the "strobe" effect during rpm changes was a little difficult but seems to work acceptably. Added some artistic touches to the shutdown IE prop "kickback".  

Ready for testing in a MP environment  -  :Praying: - please work otherwise it was a few wasted hours.

If this works here is what the outcome will be. Let's say I'm in the Spartan & Ron is in the Legacy. Ron's ( & any others in a Legacy) plane will mimic in my sim what my plane is doing. Engine stopped, Starting, Running & Throttle Position. Still better than a still prop.

Do you want me to fire up my server? Or try DTP maybe. I'm all agog to see this in action.

EUREKA !!!
It works! :Party: Ron was kind enough to set up a MP session this morning to test & was done with the V2 Legacy. (shoot... forgot to test the V1 while in MP) Now that the theory was proven I need to recode it into a .lua.  (for registered FSUIPC only) This will make it "worlds" easier to install vs. a gauge. If there are other aircraft with this dilemma please let me know.

1 drawback - If Rons engine is running and mine is not, I still hear his engine running which is no biggie. The problem is the prop. The spoofing of the Legacy mimics, as best as possible, what my engine/prop is doing. Here is the video using the same tests as before - 2 no start conditions, a start with runup & finally a shutdown.

Edit - It looks like V1 uses the same variables & reacts the same so a "one size fits all" will work, for all the Legacy's that is. Also this will work regardless of what "type" of aircraft you're in during the MP session IE. Jet, TProp etc.. except a glider. :P  

You are a star! :Applause: No more to be said except when can we have it?  :BigGrin: