Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

FSD 337 flight dynamics seem a little 'rough'

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

Hi,Have any other owners of the Skymaster noticed anything quirky about the flight dynamics of this new plane from Flightsim Developers? Their stuff is usually top notch with very stable flight models.My experience with the new 337 flight model (.air file) is that it does not seem to be as refined as most other FSD products. Not trying to be overly picky of course, but it seems to (1) 'leap off' the runway like most default FS2004 light planes, (2) seems to be difficult to trim properly, (3) seems to need way too much rudder for coordinated turns, (4) seems to exhibit too much skid when aeilerons are re-centered during banking. I've read through the supplied manual throughly, in addition to having properly run the load configuration manager.Maybe it's just me, but this one seems to need some improvement. What do the rest of you guys think?

I have no real problems with the aircraft. To me it seems slightly unstable in the roll axis ie it tends to start banking slightly left or right for no apparent reason but it's barely noticable.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I can never seem to trim it. Once I do it won't last long. The trimming seems too finicky.XP Home SP2Asus P4P800-SE Intel 3.0GHZDDR 400 D/C 4x512MBLeadtek 6800GT 256MB (77.72)SB AudigyCH Products Yoke/Pedals USBSee you in the fence...CYYZ

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

>I can never seem to trim it. Once I do it won't last long.>The trimming seems too finicky.>>XP Home SP2>Asus P4P800-SE Intel 3.0GHZ>DDR 400 D/C 4x512MB>Leadtek 6800GT 256MB (77.72)>SB Audigy>CH Products Yoke/Pedals USB>>See you in the fence...>>CYYZYes, I'm experiencing the exact same thing in regard to trim. This really doesn't seem right....

Guest Dakota

FSD does have a forum. (unlike another flightsim company that has been talked a lot about lately). Any one post the issue there to see how they respond to your issue?

Guest allcott

No problems at all here. Trim is fine, both joystick, yoke and keyboard, pitch response off the runway is fine, slip response as I'd expect from a centreline twin with comparatively little keel area and offset rudders outside the propwash. Half a ball slip with uncoordinated turns is about what I see, unless the turns get steep.This has to be one of the very best `hand flyers` I own! Have you checked the axes on your controller, repeat settings on the trim buttons, realism settings, all the usual stuff? The fidelity of Steve Small flight models is such that anything not right in your rig will probably show up If a roll is developing furing flight, that's a sure indication that the tanks are unbalanced - check you have draw from both.Allcott

The plane will definitely get up and move off the runway, I'm surprised at its short-field performance, but then again, it has a fairly big wing, moderate weight, and two engines hauling it along. So maybe that's accurate. I'm not a real pilot so I'm just having to guess. :)As for roll stability, I'm guessing a controller issue. The 337 will drift a bit in roll, I've seen that, but once you get it wings-level, if your controller doesn't provide any inputs, it won't go anywhere...at least mine doesn't. Mine will track straight and true all day long once I get it trimmed, with the general realism setting maxed and the gyro/torque/p-factor set to about halfway. Now, get it into turbulence and that's another story, I find it to be a real handful in bumpy air.The one area I've been curious about with the flight model is the inordinate amount of nose-down trim it takes. At cruise settings--say, 140-150 KIAS--I need around eleven to twelve degrees nose-down trim to level it out. I don't think I've *ever* had the trim set higher than center. With the trim centered, it climbs out like a homesick angel even with a full load. One thing I've noticed with the trim (and this is an FS thing, not a 337 thing) is that sometimes using the trim keys will suddenly "jump" the trim about a half-degree instead of 0.1-degree increments. (My Aerosoft Beaver does this as well, and other planes.) I've ended up using the mouse and the tooltip to make fine adjustments, because if I stick with the keys, I'll be bouncing all over the place.It's a fantastic piece of work. The only minor nit I have to pick about it, really, is that I'm not a fan of the interior engine sounds, and may look to replace them. But, that's just personal preference. Everything else--the visuals, the flight model, the panel, the VC, all of it--is first-rate.Lewis "Moose" GregoryRichmond, Virginia

My Realism settings:General - MaxP-Factor - 50%Torque - 50%Gyro - 50%Crash Tolerance - MaxGyro Drift - OnIAS - OnDetect Crash - OnStress Causes Damage - OnAllow Collisions - OffAutomixture - OffUnlimited Fuel - OffG-Effects - OnAutorudder - OffControls - CH Yoke and Pedals(1) Trim set to approx +0.5 degrees - It takes a slight to firm pull to get it off the runway in my sim at normal rotation speed - adding 10 knots before rotation and it will leap a bit - as will most aircraft.With a 1,000 ft takeoff roll and 700 ft ground roll - it's definitely a STOL aircraft. It was designed for the military to really get off the runway quickly. Some of the earlier models had much higher initial rates of climb.(2) Never had a problem trimming the aircraft - don't even use the autopilot to maintain a steady altitude unless weather is quite rough(3) & (4) - as noted above - it's a centerline twin with two small rudders and flies a bit different than a traditional twin.Making sure the fuel load remains balanced is important during a flight for both trim and roll stability.I haven't really noticed too much nose down trim until I get to near the max speed. Just as the DC-3 takes about 8-10 degrees nose down at the redline - the C337 seems to take more nose down trim the higher the speed - haven't really measured the number of degrees. It is a very high lift wing so the higher the speed - the down trim it will take to counteract the wing.I've never flown the real C337 - but I've talked with an owner / pilot recently - after getting the FSD bird. He commented that it takes a little getting used to - especially the relatively small rudders.No - I don't think the flight dynamics are off.

>>No - I don't think the flight dynamics are off.>I have not noticed anything unusual regarding the flight dynamics either. I use a hat switch on my Saitek X45 for trim functions.L.Adamson

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

Thanks for all the observations you guys. I will give it another shot and see if I can make some suggested tweaks.

Guest aca_dia

No problems on my end. I was a Beta tester for the 337 and I also fly one for real fairly frequently. I think the dynamics are as good as FS9 will allow. Also I have never had any issues with trim.DM

>Hi,>>Have any other owners of the Skymaster noticed anything quirky>about the flight dynamics of this new plane from Flightsim>Developers? Their stuff is usually top notch with very>stable flight models.>>>Maybe it's just me, but this one seems to need some>improvement. What do the rest of you guys think?>Actually it is one of the most realistcally feeling (IMHO) GA plane I've flown besides the piper meridian, on my system at least. I will say that when I'm in some bad weather or serious winds it can get me focus rather quickly on approach. But this plane is such a joy to fly. Also check your trim, with me it just floats right on up at around 80kts or so depending on payload. I have experienced too much trim and it will leap off the runway; but when trimmed right before takeoff it is a joy. It is the a great plane for the money spent; and a joy to fly.I really hope someone at avsim does a indepth review; this unique plane really deserves one.

Guest Adverse Yawn

The trim was far too course in both the Commander and the Cheyenne (sp?). Editing the .cfg to tone it down only resulted in the trim running to the stops and unable to maintain S&L.

>>I can never seem to trim it. Once I do it won't last long.>>The trimming seems too finicky.>>>>XP Home SP2>>Asus P4P800-SE Intel 3.0GHZ>>DDR 400 D/C 4x512MB>>Leadtek 6800GT 256MB (77.72)>>SB Audigy>>CH Products Yoke/Pedals USB>>>>See you in the fence...>>>>CYYZ>>Yes, I'm experiencing the exact same thing in regard to trim. > This really doesn't seem right....You guys may already have this set, but you may want to set your trim axis to 1/2...if you are not using fsuipc.I have no trim problems at all.

>No problems at all here. Trim is fine, both joystick, yoke>and keyboard, pitch response off the runway is fine, slip>response as I'd expect from a centreline twin with>comparatively little keel area and offset rudders outside the>propwash. Half a ball slip with uncoordinated turns is about>what I see, unless the turns get steep.>>This has to be one of the very best `hand flyers` I own! Have>you checked the axes on your controller, repeat settings on>the trim buttons, realism settings, all the usual stuff? The>fidelity of Steve Small flight models is such that anything>not right in your rig will probably show up >>If a roll is developing furing flight, that's a sure>indication that the tanks are unbalanced - check you have draw>from both.>>AllcottI agree whole heartly this is one of the best handflyer store bought GA addons that I have outside of the piper meridian (which doesn't taxi that well).