Sign in to follow this  
Constantine

FSX crashes and scenery lacks 3D effects

Dear All

I'm struggling with FSX Gold Edition and PMDG NGX  the general appearance now lacks the 3D appearance, airports FSX and add-ons appear more like blocks than shaded realistic airports and some ground vehicles are completely white and FSX crashes early into flight, I have tried flying with/without the automation dll. which has made no difference.

I recently had the computer initialized and was told my drivers/graphics cards were all appropriate for my computer indeed a higher graphic card was installed which made no difference to the scenery appearance.

Any advice most appreciated

My specs

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (6.1 build 760.1)

system manufacturer ASUS

Processor: Intel ® Core

BIOS Date 04/0713  version 03.10

15-4670 CPU and 3.40Ghz (4CPUs) 3.46Hz 

Memory 16384 Mb RAM

Direct X version Direct X 11

Display

NVDIA GeForce GTX 760

Chp Type GeForce GTX 760

DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC

Approx total memory 4042 Mb

Current display mode 1920x1080 (32bit) 60Hz

Driver

version 368.22 whql

date  2016.5.23

whql log'd  yes]

Direct X features

Direct Draw Accelerator  enabled

Direct 3D accelerator     enabled

AGP Texture Accelerator  enabled

Many Thanks Richard Coombs

First of all, FSX is only capable to use DX10 Preview.  It cannot use the DX11 technology (that's in P3D).  There are some bugs in DX10 Preview and many have bought and installed Steve's DX10 Fixer. 

I am not sure what you mean by a 3D appearance.  FSX is not capable of rendering in 3D.  You need a special monitor and 3D glasses to view FSX in 3D.  It does look great if you have the components for 3D but there are anomalies with that technology too.  I have tried it and liked it but viewing FSX through 3D glasses can wear you out.

If you are having crashes early in flight, you need to check out the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature) and look at the many investigative techniques you can try to determine the cause of your crashes.  For us to help you, you would need to submit an AppCrashView report which is detailed in the AVSIM CTD Guide and/or an event from the Event Viewer.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you so much Jim for the response

the problem is for some unknown reason the total appearance of the FSX and PMDG 737ngx and add ons has now altered with lose of realistic detail resembling more a cartoon than the wonderful realistic graphics I had before where aircraft instrumentation was sharper and stood out more and airports were much more detailed. the second problem involving the crashes comes on primarily when I make alterations using the PMDG drop down tool bar maybe to alter weather or other features resulting with just an aircrafts frame, or a shadow were the plane was or no aircraft and a black and yellow screen.  I was told the graphics cards drivers etc were okay so I really have no idea which areas I need to address to try and recify this but the aircraft scenery and realism of the aircraft interior are unregonizable in terms of how they used to be when I purchased them , sorry for vague explanation but really difficult to put into words how cartoonish it has all gone destroying the whole fs experience.

Many Thanks

Richard Coombs

It almost sounds like you have your display set at 16 bit instead of 32 bit.  Check that in the resolution section of the Nvidia display drivers.   Make sure the refresh rate is at 60Hz, the color depth is 32 bit, the output depth is 8 bpc, the output format is RGB and the output dynamic range is Full.

In your FSX settings, make sure the resolution on the General tab is correct and not set at 16 bit.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim and thank you once again

Acting on your kind advice my settiings were correct with the exception of my Output Dynamic Range which was set at Limited i've now set that to full. In the FSX Settings General Tab in my FSX there was no resolution section i could check to see if it was set at 16bt  I'm not sure if you mean't a different location sorry.

Sadly the changes didn't have an effect and I still had ground vehicles totaly whited out passing by also, i've also been getting the Windows 7 prompt  'Windows is changing to Windows 7 Basic because of compatability' again here i've tried to  restore the aero theme with little success, not sure if this would rectify this issue, it really is a mystery not sure what else is at fault, anyway Jim thank you once again !

FSX Settings General Tab in my FSX there was no resolution section i could check to see if it was set at 16bt I'm not sure if you mean't a different location sorry.

I apologize.  I meant the Graphics tab in your settings screen.

i've also been getting the Windows 7 prompt 'Windows is changing to Windows 7 Basic because of compatability' again

This is normal.  FSX is not compatible with Windows Aero so it turns Windows Aero off and goes to Windows 7 Basic so that FSX will work properly.  You should never ever change the compatibility settings in FSX (by right clicking FSX.exe and selecting the 'Compatibility' tab.  There should be no tick marks in this section other than the last section where you want FSX to run in Administrative Mode.  That should already be ticked (see the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for more information - link in my signature).  Make sure you do not somehow have Aero running.  Not good....

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim

Many thanks again, i'll be sure to tay clear of any aero theme tweaks,  I looked at your excellent configurations pdf  I think the MemFix=1 was absent in my FSX.cfg but sadly that didn't really improve my airport appearance really don't know why such detailed add-ons now look so cartoonish looks like i'm going to have live with it very disappointing, indede if I upgrade to W10 all I've read is doom & gloom with the odd success so im stuck between a rock and a hard place, this has to be a shader, texture, resolution graphics issue I would guess but pinpointing the anomolly seems impossible

Anyway many thanks for your diligence Jim