Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Building a pc for a friend - feedback please

The "absolute worst option" does not make it a bad card..?

I think you are overstating the issue with the 970.   :nea:

It is a fine card, but arguably the 1070 will now take its place (at a slight price premium..)

Bert

The "absolute worst option" does not make it a bad card..?

It does in terms of it being a relevant card for a new machine, with some sort of future proofing. However, that's clearly not what's being discussed right now. Somehow people took offence to that statement, talking about how the card has treated them up to this point. That's to completely different aspects of the card. It was a good card, with a nice price / performance ratio. It isn't any longer and was already beat by the 390x in reality. It is expensive compared to the competitor card, it's slower and it has under half as much VRAM. So for someone buying a machine today and is looking at GPUs in the higher end performance bracket, i.e 970 / 980 / 980 Ti / 390x / 480 etc. the 970 IS the absolute worst option in every regard. That is not a subjective discussion, that is a measurable fact.  (Okay, the 980 / Ti combo is also pretty bad in terms of price, considering their new position).

I think you are overstating the issue with the 970.   :nea:

Or I'm right on the money, people are just misconstruing what I'm saying. The RX480 has rendered the 970 completely irrelevant for new PCs, if you want a good budget card. If you want raw performance, there's 1070 and 1080.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Where I live, the 1070 is almost twice the price of the 970... it all depends on what you are looking for..

And throwing an AMD card into the mix does not change that  :wink:

Bert

Where I live, the 1070 is almost twice the price of the 970... it all depends on what you are looking for..

And throwing an AMD card into the mix does not change that  :wink:

But the RX480 is still cheaper, faster and has more VRAM - A lot more. 4 and 8GB versions.

Can't shrug that aside. 

However, I think that debate is probably exhausted at this point. Apologies for the side-track.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Thank you all for contributing in quality controll, guys. I appreciate it. In regards to the 970 vs 1070 vs the amd card:

I personally own the 980ti xtreme (oc edition) and im pretty happy with it. The 1070 should be pretty on par with it in most regards, and even better in others. Vr should be better on the 1070 than on the 980ti from what i read. 1070 is a better choice than the980ti both in price and performance from my point of view. The 970 feels like i would bottleneck the system from the get go at this point in the market should i choose it. In regards of the rx card i dont have any experience with the brand. Ive always had nvidia cards and afaik the flight sim community has always preferred nvidia (based on fsx). Since the fsx engine is basically still the engine in p3d and dtg i didnt even concider anything else than nvidia for this build. In addition i read a few negative reviews and posts about the new amd cards. Something about it drawing an unsafe amount of power through the pci express slot in the board?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

In addition i read a few negative reviews and posts about the new amd cards. Something about it drawing an unsafe amount of power through the pci express slot in the board?

Just a minor issue that was blown out of proportion in some media outlets. It will be fixed in a driver, that AMD is already testing; http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-gives-statement-on-the-pci-express-overcurrent-problems.html

Apparently also only effects the 6-pin version.