Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Banned again..

Noel,

I loved flying the MAAM DC3 ! Those really were the best times in the hobby for me. Flew the heavy iron around and around the world!

If it wasn't for you and other people like you, there would never have been this hobby, let alone the enterprise it is today.

Appreciate your attitude!

Kind regards,

Noel, now you gone and done it!

Memories of FS9 everywhere!

It's dangerous to open old files locked away between the ears!

When on a tour I made a special trip to Reading PA and spent an afternoon at the "Mid Atlantic Air Museum", even being able to have a real close up and personal with their DC3.

Worth the trip for that alone!

Kind regards,

Stephen, with some help from Tom Gibson I did all the seaplane bases for California along with seaplane ai traffic using downloaded aircraft.  I did the same for the GA airports and ai traffic and aircraft for California.  I also did the military air bases for bombers, cargo planes, and fighters for California.  It was too large to host so I offered a CD that included all the aircraft for anyone who send me the shipping cost ($5.00).  I think I sent out about a dozen.  That was before the MATS ai traffic and aircraft came out.  That was quite some time ago.

I even did the old gliderport at Calistoga with ai gliders. 

I'm still installing stuff.  There's a lot more to download now than there was back then.  California Classics is still alive and functioning well.

I fired up the Western Airlines MAAM DC-3 this morning for a flight from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. 

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I posted on that thread and there was nothing in it to cop a severe Banning like that! Its interesting though to see how everyone is tip toeing on eggshells, carefully worded posts so as not to upset anyone. By the way are you banned from support as well? that would really suck.

ZORAN

Contrary to what JV states, quite a number of customers (including me) did or do experience some sort of issues after migration. I have to admit, according to my experience ORBX usually has a quite extensive testing program, probably more thorough than some other flightsim makers. The issues we observe seem to have escaped them despite - things like this just happen.

What really bugs me: However this was caused, I would show some sort of humbleness towards my customers instead of locking them out in this case. This is just bad manners I can't tolerate.

Kind regards, Michael.

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Zoran, I am only banned from posting.  I can still read the forum posts and the PMs.  However  I am unable to respond to those who sent me PMs in support.  The last time I was banned it was completely from all the forums, although I was still able to get support.

This is the third time I've been banned from the forum.  The first was for 10 days and the second for almost a year.  In both those cases I deserved it.  This time I don't know exactly why.  I only stated I was dropping Orbx/P3D and going back to FS2004 and why.  I didn't even blame Orbx for my problem.  Since I was the only one experiencing it I said it was probably my system but I didn't have the expertise to fix it myself so I was gong back to something I was more familiar and comfortable with.

But on August 1st I will be back with my old self and I will not be tiptoeing on egg shells Zoran.  I refuse to be intimidated by anyone for expressing my opinion.  So I might well get banned again.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I've never posted on the Orbx forum, haven't read it much, and don't really care ..................because I do use many Orbx sceneries with FSX, and wouldn't entertain the possibility of going back to FS2004.  I beta tested three versions of MSFS for Microsoft over the years.  The first day I watched my monitor screen with version 10, I knew that FS9 would soon be hitting the dust bin.  In fact, I made quite a computer upgrade for version 10 & X-Plane 10.  Amazing how good computers run this stuff!  Orbx itself, is the main reason I use FSX.  Just wanted to state why I like FSX with Orbx. There, I feel better....

I still use FS 2004....alongside FSX but not for flying.  I have all the AI traffic maxed out and go plane spotting at really busy Hubs.  Yea, ok, so I need treatment...but I enjoy the odd 60 min break from the norm.  Get some great screenies too.  Would not be able to do it in FSX or P3D with the same fluidity.

• Upvote 1

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I still use FS 2004....alongside FSX but not for flying.  I have all the AI traffic maxed out and go plane spotting at really busy Hubs.  Yea, ok, so I need treatment...

LOLOL!

We pretend to fly airplanes on our computers (a), so whatever we do, let's not get so puffed up as to think more highly of ourselves than we ought!

If we can not see the ridiculous hilarity of it all, and don't mock ourselves, we miss the best comedy show in town. Love your self-deprecating humour Arnie!

Kind regards,

(a) Yeah yeah, I know, I know, we aren't pretending anything but honing our aviation skills, or whatever it is we explain to our friends and family...

LOLOL!

We pretend to fly airplanes on our computers (a), so whatever we do, let's not get so puffed up as to think more highly of ourselves than we ought!

If we can not see the ridiculous hilarity of it all, and don't mock ourselves, we miss the best comedy show in town. Love your self-deprecating humour Arnie!

Kind regards,

(a) Yeah yeah, I know, I know, we aren't pretending anything but honing our aviation skills, or whatever it is we explain to our friends and family...

LOL!  Steady on there Stephen!!  You'll be getting us all 'birdguyed' from this forum if you start telling the truth.....   :BigGrin:  

We all look at flight simulation in our own way.  Some take it very seriously and see it almost really flying.  Others, like myself, see it as a game...a pastime that we enjoy.  I would say most of the former never had the opportunity to become pilots and experience the reality of flight.  Those of us who have sat in real cockpits know it can never even approach reality.  But I would not disparage those who take it seriously.

I have to shake my head, though,  at those who seek 'full immersion' on a computer monitor.  'Full immersion' cannot duplicate the feeling in your stomach when you realize you are lost or when you hear a little something different in the engine hum or when you encounter severe turbulence.  No set of goggles than replicate that.  You do not have your life, or the life of your passengers, in your hands in any simulator. 

I once flew a Mooney from Denver to some small town in Wisconsin where my flight instructor was going to pick up a car.  I was building time for my commercial and the flight was free.  I soloed back to Denver after dropping him off.

As I was making my downwind approach in Wisconsin I toggled the gear switch and nothing happened.  It only takes a millisecond for that feeling to surface.  I looked over to the right side of the panel and noticed the breaker panel cover was hanging down.  I reached over and reset the gear breaker and looked over at my instructor who was grinning and said, "I gotcha."  Duplicate that on your simulator.

Noel

• Upvote 4

We all look at flight simulation in our own way.  Some take it very seriously and see it almost really flying.  Others, like myself, see it as a game...a pastime that we enjoy.  I would say most of the former never had the opportunity to become pilots and experience the reality of flight.  Those of us who have sat in real cockpits know it can never even approach reality.  But I would not disparage those who take it seriously.

A -- I'm always comparing sim scenery to real life.  I spent many years as a pilot flying the mountains & deserts of the north & southwest United States.  If Orbx improves the scenery (which it usually does), then all the better.  Secondly, I will always compare a simulated airplane to the real deal. There will always be those moments, in which virtual reality provides the "WOW" moment.

B -- I don't consider simulation as a game, in the sense of "arcade" amusement.  It has to be serious enough, to suspend my belief. But at the end of the day, it's still in the entertainment classification, else I wouldn't bother. In the old days, it was very beneficial to use as a pre-flight to mountain airports, in which I hadn't actually flown there, yet. That way, I'd get the layout of surrounding terrain, and runways ahead of time. That in itself, put desktop simulation above a game. The simulation is using real life topography, airports, & runway databases.   This worked much to my advantage, when a large group of airplanes approached the Sedona, Arizona airport, only to have a runway change in the last few minutes, due to changing winds. Some pilots blew it big time!   Being surrounded by rising topography, and sitting on a mesa, aircraft carrier style, it all worked out for me, due to plenty of practice on my computer.  Needless to say, I really do enjoy Orbx Sedona, for the memories. I no longer actively fly small aircraft. 

As I mentioned, LA, we all look at simulators in our own way.  I respect those who take it seriously and consider it more than a game.  I do not happen to be one of those.

I know what you mean about changing winds.  I never flew into Sedona but once when trying to land an Aztec at the old Jeffco Airport in Broomfield Colorado I had to break off my final twice because of changing wind direction and change my approach to the opposite runway.  Not fun.

Noel

I respect those who take it seriously and consider it more than a game.  I do not happen to be one of those.

A large portion of my postings over the years, had to do with flight dynamics.  I could get very critical.  Once again, it's desktop simulation; however, the mechanics of simulating responses from the flight surfaces, power & weight,  can get far beyond a game, in which the casual player wouldn't notice or appreciate the difference.  I always knew the difference between real flight, and a simulation.  I never pretended that my sim experience had any relevance of flight time.  At the same time, I did beta testing for numerous 3rd party vendors. The object was to get the detail of simulated flight, as real as possible.  For instance, if the sim non-pilot sim user begins to believe that airplanes are exhibiting a large amount of torque, which desperately wants to roll the airplane the moment it breaks ground..................then I'll say different. I said different a lot of times!  What I did have to say, did in effect, cause an effect to 3rd party sales.

Getting back to your original statement in this thread, you said that you don't take it seriously. You said it's just a game. You said you lack the expertise. But then you make a big deal about packing up Orbx & P3D, as though they're a deficient product.  As a 3rd party vendor, I'd probably ban you too.  I look at the big picture. I get a good idea of sales, and what the customers think over the years. There will always be complaints, but these have to be measured against overall customer responses.  Overwhelmingly, you loose.  You can harp on the fact, attract followers here and there, but you're still someone, that a vendor just might ban for very good reasons. 

LA, I never blamed Orbx for my problem.  I pointed out that I appeared to be the only one with the problem since nobody else reported it so it probably was a problem with my system and I did not have the expertise to troubleshoot and fix it myself...I think me exact words were, "I am way out of my league here."  Nowhere did I say or even imply that P3D or Orbx were deficient products.  They are not.   If I implied anything it was that P3D and Orbx were beyond my capabilities to deal with and that I was moving back to something I was more familiar and comfortable with.

I did not disparage Orbx or anybody associated with them.  So ban me for expressing my opinions if you want.  You won't be first and certainly won't be the last. 

Noel