Sign in to follow this  
Corrie

Aircraft initialisation failure

Your Installation has Got to be Cross Wired, I would Certainly Try an Uninstall/ Reinstall, as Administrator, and with Your virus Scan OFF, For FSX SE only ! You Need to be gett'in to Enjoy Your Flight Sim !!

Much easier to backup and delete the FSX.cfg file in the FSX Steam appdata subfolder as given earlier.  Corrie, PLEASE try that first.  It's much simpler and it just might fix things.

I just run FSX-SE exclusively, and the only fsx.cfg is the one for FSX, not FSX-SE, in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg, if that is of any help, Corrie.

FSX:SE installs differently if it does not detect FSX Box present.  It doesn't create an appdata ... FSX-SE folder and it doesn't name the cfg file FSX_SE.cfg.  But it should have done both for his dual install.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

FSX:SE installs differently if it does not detect FSX Box present. It doesn't create an appdata .

But I did install FSX Gold first, then re-installed FSX-SE, then after verifying the aircraft I wanted working in FSX-SE did work, I removed FSX Gold.

But I did install FSX Gold first, then re-installed FSX-SE, then after verifying the aircraft I wanted working in FSX-SE did work, I removed FSX Gold.

Hi, Rick,

Are you sure you didn't reinstall FSX-SE after you uninstalled FSX Gold? 

I suppose it's possible that Steam detects that the existing Box version of FSX was uninstalled and then modifies its folder & file names, but somehow I doubt it.  If Steam had used the same folder and fsx.cfg file names when you still had Gold installed, I think it would have made a mess of your system -- fsx.cfg pointing to the wrong ...simobjects/airplanes folder for example.  It would have  also caused scenery problems if it shared the scenery.cfg file.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

No

Are you sure you didn't reinstall FSX-SE after you uninstalled FSX Gold?

Hi Mike

To  clarify. I originally did have a stand-alone FSX-SE. Only reason I installed FSX Gold was to get back into flying my favourite PMDG MD-11. But as I prefer FSX-SE, I then after uninstalling it prior to installing FSX-Gold, re-installed it, tentatively, to see if the MD-11 still functioned under FSX-SE, as it had not done so under the previous a purely FSX-SE installation.

Once I had it confirmed that it was now functioning properly in FSX-SE, as I no longer wanted a side-by-side FSX Gold, I uninstalled it, not sure if the MD-11 would still work flawlessly, but it did.

To clarify. I originally did have a stand-alone FSX-SE. Only reason I installed FSX Gold was to get back into flying my favourite PMDG MD-11. But as I prefer FSX-SE, I then after uninstalling it prior to installing FSX-Gold, re-installed it, tentatively, to see if the MD-11 still functioned under FSX-SE, as it had not done so under the previous a purely FSX-SE installation.

Once I had it confirmed that it was now functioning properly in FSX-SE, as I no longer wanted a side-by-side FSX Gold, I uninstalled it, not sure if the MD-11 would still work flawlessly, but it did.

Hi, Rick,

I can only guess that the installer, during the second install of FSX-SE, mistakenly kept the information from the first FSX-SE install, and so did not detect that Gold was also present.  So it used the same folder and file names as FSX Gold.  My guess is that it overwrote important files like fsx.cfg, dll.xml, scenery.cfg on the second install.  So one question:  Did you ever try to run Gold after you reinstalled Steam (the second install with Gold still installed)?

Many of the problems with installing older addons like the MD-11 have to do with the new folder names FSX-Steam installs.  The older installers just don't know about them.  They usually require dll files, and the correct address for each dll file is entered in dll.xml, found in appdata ... FSX (or FSX-SE).  If the installer doesn't know about FSX-SE  it won't find the correct dll.xml file. 

The other problem with older aircraft is they need older versions of simconnect.  FSX-SE comes with them but doesn't install them.  They have to be installed manually.  My guess is that the MD-11 initially didn't work because of simconnect.  When you installed Gold it installed the older simconnects.  Because the Steam folder and file names were the same as those of Gold (ironically because of a mistake in the Steam installation side-by-side with Gold!)  the MD-11 installer found the correct installation folders and files.  Or maybe the MD-11 installer didn't recognize the different version of the fsx.exe file.

However there have also been quite a few reports of registry errors -- I even experienced one -- involving incorrect locations for one or both versions appearing in the registry, caused most likely by the Steam installation.  So it's amazing to me that, with your multiple installations of Steam, everything is still working!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Mike

Yes good points about the simconnects and I know all about their manual implementation.

And you're on the ball with those DLL blips because I could not find any solution-----including a PM exchanged with a leading PMDG person-----to the MD-11 toppling over in FSX-SE all centred on those DLLs. So, in the end, I decided as I knew for sure the MD-11 did work in FSX Gold long before SE saw the light of the day, I'd uninstall SE, install Gold, the re-install SE, and finally, once I had the MD-11 where I wanted it to be, remove Gold.

I too initially went down that road of a possible Registry error, and using Flight1's Registry Tool, tried that, but it did not do the trick, which is why I decided to look for a hopeful solution in the above.

Let Me Stress, Install with Admin Privileges, and virus Scan Off - Johnman B)

Hi all

Charliearon had the fix.

Somehow the panel file had got renamed, I fixed that and now have all my  boeing 747 aircraft.

That is still a mystery because the file date was 23/01/2016 (UK date) and it was working until a week or so ago.

In Steam I renamed the FSX cfg file X-cfg and allowed it to rebuild the cfg file.

My Aircraft initialisation failure is now fixed.

Thank you to every one who helped.

Corrie