Sign in to follow this  
Howiefly13

Good prop for water landings

oops.Forgot about the gauge fix. Glad you found it. :)

It's a great plane at the right price.

Vic

What is funny is my first two takeoff attempts resulted in crashes into the shoreline. My fault for being in a rush to try flying, and didn't do a proper preflight i.e controls free and correct. The aircraft just refused to rotate when I hit flying speed, but kept going straight ahead, and of course with no "water brakes" a crash into the shoreline was the result. I then checked the elevator trim and gave it another shot, with the same result. The control wheel moved back and forth properly but when I went to an exterior view I noticed that the elevator appeared stuck, and there was almost no movement in either direction. My first thought that this was a glitch caused by importing into P3D, then I started looking around the cockpit and found that the auto pilot was switched on with the altitude set at 0 feet. I turned the AP off, and the next takeoff was perfect.   :fool:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

LOL! Every time I do something like that, I am so thankful that I paid more attention when I was flying IRL!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Question...I have no shift + x keys working. Would that be a .dll file not moved to  the right folder?

I can't seem to locate the Beaver dll or the P3D dll.xml file.

I got the newer .cab file copied over and gauges work fine but something still seems amiss.

I think I have more program updates than wisdom. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Question...I have no shift + x keys working. Would that be a .dll file not moved to  the right folder?

I can't seem to locate the Beaver dll or the P3D dll.xml file.

I got the newer .cab file copied over and gauges work fine but something still seems amiss.

I think I have more program updates than wisdom. 

The only shift + key I had was the one that was created when I installed my GTN 650. Otherwise there was none . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Well, maybe the shift + doesn't work when in P3D for the Beaver. It gives you a list of keys available, which is empty, yet the dialogue is there.

All in all, not a big deal though.

I'll check out the use of the 650.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I'm not at my flight system but you could look in the panel.cfg file. If there a list of entries  like [Window00], [Window 01] etc - they relate to the Shift+ key. If there are none, there are no additional windows accessible using Shift+.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm not at my flight system but you could look in the panel.cfg file. If there a list of entries  like [Window00], [Window 01] etc - they relate to the Shift+ key. If there are none, there are no additional windows accessible using Shift+.

Vic

Question on the Beaver. I had one in FS many years ago, and I remember a water gurgling sound when floating, simulating water hitting against the pontoons. I don't hear that in the Beaver X. Is anyone hearing that sound in the latest version? 

Just double checked - no gurgling sound here.

Vic

Just double checked - no gurgling sound here.

Vic

Yeah, I guess they removed it. Some people were complaining they didn't like it anyway.   

I wound up buying two of the recommended float planes, both of which are also available with standard gear and amphibian models the Aerosoft Beaver and the Lion Heart Kodiak Quest. I had the Beaver, in Fs9 and FSx, and flew it all over the Misty Moorings scenery years ago, when I had it in MSFS. The current version still flies great, and is great for flying around Alaska and BC. Then I purchased he Kodiak Quest, and  at first I didn't think I was going to like it, but after flying it for a few hours, It is all I have been flying. It does everything, short field landings and approaches, and it has the water rudder option as does the Beaver, which I insist on in a flight sim. I have one other amphib that I just bought, the Grumman G44, but with no water rudder, it is ridiculous to try and land and taxi to the dock, without twisting yourself into a pretzel.

The only issue that I had with the Kodiak, was starting it on the water. Apparently there is an issue with FS and now P3D, that when one starts a turbo prop on the water, it wants to start moving immediately, and at fairly good clip, which results in often  colliding with the shoreline or dock, if they are close. I played with this issue for hours and finally arrived at a procedure that will keep this from happening, and I have had 100 % success starting it up now without it surging ahead. I posted this on the Lionheart Forum on this website, and here is the link to my post. http://www.avsim.com/topic/493041-starting-kodiak-floatplane/?p=3463594   When I refer to the power lever in my post, I am talking about the Red Power Condition lever which is the way it is refferred to in the Flight Manual suuplied with the aircraft. 

Other than that, the Kodiak is a blast to fly.  I have Orbx Alaska and Pacific Fjords Scenery, and it is so much fun flying from one bush airstrip or seaplane base to another. Some of the GPS's like the GTN 650 and 750 don't have these smaller bush airports and seaplane bases, but the G1000 in the Kodiak as well as the GPS in the Beaver both do. I installed the 650 as a popup in both the Beaver and Kodiak, but when setting up a flight, if where I want to go is not in the GSN database, I just use the default GPS in the aircraft for that flight.     

The Beaver is great!

Also consider the Fairchild 24, the animations are wild.

The little Aeronca Champ is OK and 

Carenado's 185 package mentioned earlier includes float and amphibian models.

For freeware the Grumman Goose HP, Mallard and at a French site I found a C180-G Hydra that is a lot of fun with great animations! 

I tried to install the beaver the way VG baron advised, but it does not work. Maybe I am too stupid. This is what I did. I created a directory "temp for install"; I copied my FSX.exe file into it. I ran the Beaver install program; I get first this message:

NxeheBl.jpg

and later:

IIky305.jpg

I clicked OK, and the installer continues. It ends with the message that the beaver X is installed. But when I go and look at my "temp for install" folder I do not see any files.

What did I do wrong.

Thanks for your help.