Sign in to follow this  
davidtsw

1999 vs. today vs. the future

4. Birds and bird strikes. Again, it sounds very simple. But as far as I know, we don't have it. They happen in real life and aren't that uncommon. I see no problem implementing it into the sim. Obviously, we would only need birds around airports.

Already exists in XP10! Can really get you on your toes if you're not expecting it

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Real sloped runways is what I would like to see in future as a standard for all airports on a future simulation platform.

I was sightseeing Hawaii yesterday, and seeing all the flat rectangle shaped airfields carved out of the mountainous Hawaiian landscape really spoiled the immersion....

Cheers

Frank

I think the future is partly already showing it's light, and it's called Aerofly FS v2....

Some futures in the history of flight simulation games vanished too soon though, and support from the users community is really mandatory, so... those who like realistic flight dynamics should really give this sim a fair try, having in mind it's in pre-release shape!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

FSX can use up to DX10, which was released in 2006 with Vista. Not exactly late 90s rendering tech. DirectX 1.0 came out in 1995, and DirectX 6.0a came out in 1999 for Windows 98SE. Everything after was released post-2000. FSX does use vertex and pixel shaders (DX9). In addition to that, some minor geometry shaders, constant buffers, and instancing (DX10), but nothing like modern tech offers (compute, domain, hull shaders for DX11+). It used the best rendering tech they had available at the time (2006-2008). 

Some of the rendering techniques like cloud shadows and LOD blending (autogen alpha fade) were in the FSX beta, but got chopped due to poor performance on GPUs of that era. 

Running on the DX10 API is not the same as actually taking advantage of all the tech. Compare FSX to Crysis, which was released in 2007... Visually and rendering-wise, FSX is more like a 2001 - 2002 AAA-title, at best. Preapr3D v3 looks more like a 2007 - 2008 game/sim. However it runs at about 20 FPS on a high-end system due to the rendering engine still being outdated and CPU bound. Modern systems probably run the original Crysis at about 300 FPS...

I've been into computers and games/sims since the C64, and flight sims used to be the most technically and graphically advanced titles. However some time around the time of FS2002 - FS2004, they began to fall behind, probably in part due to backwards compatibility. When Aces closed down and development of FSX stopped, it's obvious that it would fall behind even more hopelessly, since no progress was made until P3D several years later. P3D is getting there, but it still has a lot of catching up to do before it can be considered a "modern" rendering engine.

Real sloped runways is what I would like to see in future as a standard for all airports on a future simulation platform.

I was sightseeing Hawaii yesterday, and seeing all the flat rectangle shaped airfields carved out of the mountainous Hawaiian landscape really spoiled the immersion....

Cheers

Frank

Aerofly FS 2 and X-Plane have sloped runways.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Aerofly FS 2 and X-Plane have sloped runways.

I don't see Aerofly advertising sloped runways. Neither I can see something similar in their trailer or the pictures on their site. Could someone post pictures or a video, or point me to some if available, please?

But, what I am really after is the world mesh in a resolution that (nearly) meets reality - so that everything we place on this mesh needs to obey its' shape.

After all we speak of the next 10 to 15 years of flight sim... :smile:

I think 10-15 years from now VR devices will be ubiquitous, and we will wear force-feedback devices that will mimic the physics.  Graphics will continue to improve until everything will indeed be a carbon-copy of reality.  We will then buy the experience, take a trip without leaving the farm.  And it will be truly as real as real.

Frank, we are a lot closer to a Holodeck than 200 years from now.  Some reading this will see them.  I'd be surprised if Facebook, Google, and other Elon Musk-types aren't already working on them.  FB will soon become 3D I'd bet, once a couple of more Oculus generations are spawned.

We will remove "flight" from the term, and it will just be "Simulator" with flight being only one of myriad possibilities.

Justin

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

I think 10-15 years from now VR devices will be ubiquitous, and we will wear force-feedback devices that will mimic the physics.  Graphics will continue to improve until everything will indeed be a carbon-copy of reality.  We will then buy the experience, take a trip without leaving the farm.  And it will be truly as real as real.

Frank, we are a lot closer to a Holodeck than 200 years from now.  Some reading this will see them.  I'd be surprised if Facebook, Google, and other Elon Musk-types aren't already working on them.  FB will soon become 3D I'd bet, once a couple of more Oculus generations are spawned.

We will remove "flight" from the term, and it will just be "Simulator" with flight being only one of myriad possibilities.

Justin

You are frightening me, Justin. I wonder if mankind will be able to resist the addiction of a perfect simulation when actually our real world is so far away from being perfect ... :sad:

Or maybe the simulated perceptions will seep into the real world by some sort of psychic osmosis.

If one spent an hour every morning walking through a tropical paradise, along a beach, floating in a lagoon, with all the requisite sites and sounds and other sensory abundance, I'd imagine when they came back to the "real" world they'd be in a pretty good, relaxed mood.

Maybe VR could reprogram humanity to enjoy creative experiences and good feelings and stop destroying ourselves and the "real" world like idiots.

After all, the subconscious doesn't know any difference between "real" and "vividly-imagined."

Justin

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

This is what I started off with in 1991 :)

http://gamesdbase.com/game/atari-st/a320-airbus.aspx

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020