Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

EDDP to VHHH MD-11

To misquote the movie Top Gun, I was "flying rubber dogsh... TO HONG KONG" :P

Early morning departure...really early!

2016-6-26_21-56-58-935_zpshe7lzwhy.png

2016-6-27_22-24-31-956_zpsacezjkwh.png

Stock ATC messed up a little getting me down to VHHH in time so a missed approach was declared: Being told to descend & maintain 1700 feet when you're at FL190 & less than 20 miles away is a bit strange! I could only hot-dog the MD-11 so much!! Getting vectored around to 7L again...

2016-7-4_21-32-31-672_zpssq4rpxi0.png

MUCH better!

2016-7-4_21-47-45-383_zps2n22c9a9.png

Hi there Hong Kong!

2016-7-4_21-48-13-793_zpsnnt0rx9s.png

2016-7-4_21-48-23-113_zpstabv7uq6.png

A nice evening for it.

2016-7-4_21-48-35-593_zpsijl0mo43.png

Trundle...trundle

2016-7-4_21-50-30-333_zpsaldejuel.png

Waiting to be unloaded..

2016-7-4_22-3-2-484_zpslcyez3xd.png

Thanks for viewing.

• Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Spectacular shots of the MD-11.

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys! :cool:

It's no PMDG, just the iFDG, but it looks good externally. I've got a few liveries for it. I'm running a usable 2D panel on it. A shame I can't fudge the SMS VC interior into it :)

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Same repaint as yours, for the PMDG version, in FSX-SE. Will try this route too. What fuel were you carrying and was that Fly Tampa's VHHH?

Great shots, specially the landing.

Thanks guys! :cool:

It's no PMDG, just the iFDG, but it looks good externally. I've got a few liveries for it. I'm running a usable 2D panel on it. A shame I can't fudge the SMS VC interior into it :)

You are really missing out. I don't know if they sell the PMDG MD-11 anymore, but learning how the systems work is so much fun!

• Upvote 1

What fuel were you carrying and was that Fly Tampa's VHHH?

Great shots, specially the landing.

Thank you. Fuel is JET A-1 same as everyone else.... :P

AHEM> SORRY! I used onlineflightplanner.org to give me a plan for stock FSX:SE use. It recommended about 198000lb, but when I accessed the pdf of the plan, the loadsheet part was saying takeoff fuel - 216 000+. Anyway I stuck just shy of 200000lb in. The plan distance was 5002nm. I don't fly SIDs & STARs, just have ATC vector me about. Besides there's no FMC in the panel I use (& not studied how to program one yet!). I don't have winds aloft enabled because stock FSX, even using FSopen Clouds, is terrible at modelling those. I mean 50+kt on the nose, then instantly 50+kt on the tail, 180 degree swing instantly? :O

I look forward to a comparison Rick seeing as you'll be using THE most detailed MD-11 (with a lot of systems accurately modelled I believe). Would you be flying SIDs and STARs and would you have winds aloft enabled?

VHHH is a freeware one by Ray Smith, modifying the stock airport.

Mark Robinson

Hi Mark, when I read your opening line, I thought to myself, #####, then soon caught the humour.

Will put up a comparison as I always use SIDs and STARs. The one issue I seem to have is selecting the correct Flex Temp to match the ASN weather for the route.

• Upvote 1

You are really missing out. I don't know if they sell the PMDG MD-11 anymore, but learning how the systems work is so much fun!

It can still be found in various places like pcaviator and amazon. Not sure why PMDG didn't just keep selling it but at a heavy discount,then again I'm not sure why they wouldn't let people release freeware HD VC textures and breath new life into it either...I would have bought it if the VC was up to spec or could be made up to spec

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It can still be found in various places like pcaviator and amazon. Not sure why PMDG didn't just keep selling it but at a heavy discount,then again I'm not sure why they wouldn't let people release freeware HD VC textures and breath new life into it either...I would have bought it if the VC was up to spec or could be made up to spec

The rumor I have heard is the MD-11 was developed by someone not at PMDG anymore, and they had a sort of falling out or something. I could be wrong but think the main developer is the guy from FSLabs, and since it was not possible to support the MD-11 they just stopped selling it. I have problems with the MD-11 in FSX and PMDG was unable to fix my problem, such as the sound pack not having engine sounds using some hardware. And because it was done by the FSLabs developer, PMDG would have to start from stratch now to re-do the MD-11. And they claimed it did not sell well to begin with. But this is again just rumors.

PMDG MD-11F, FSX_SE, ASN SP5, AivlaSoft flightplan, Aerosoft EDDL FlyTampa VHHH.

Never before posted shots like this, so apologies if not up to usual high standards.

Night departure from 23L at EDDL, only a mere 5206 miles to go.

NightTOfromEDDL.jpg

Half way point somewhere over Eastern Europe

2700milestogohalfwaythere.jpg

150 miles or thereabouts to go as the sun is not far from setting

Sunsetting150milestolanding.jpg

Setting sun sky

Sunsettingorrising.jpg

Aah, there she is VHHH in the distance

VHHHindistancebeforefinals.jpg

Lining up on 7L as dusk about to descend

Liningupfor7LVHHH.jpg

Hope you like these, Mark.

Nice shots.

nebojsa

Thank you, nebojsa. Coming from you, it's appreciated.

Missed this from my collection. Late evening landing at VHHH Rwy 7L. Did not know how to capture the smoking undercarriage upon touch-down. Sorry..

Landedon7LatVHHH.png

• Upvote 1

Thoroughly enjoyed those screenshots Rick! :cool: Thank you very much!

The MD-11 banking left in the setting sun is beautiful.

Did you note how much fuel was recommended to upload for the trip?

I capture smoking tyre shots by using the instant replay function. I usually taxi off the runway and get passed on to Ground first, then go back however long it takes.

Mark Robinson

Hi Mark

Thank you for those kind words. You inspired me to make my longest flight in an MD-11.

I used a small utility I got from here called MD-11 fuel planner.exe as a rough guide, and as I have my weights set in European units, loaded 108k kgs at EDDL(Düsseldorf),and accounting for SID and STAR vectoring landed with around 18k kgs.

Instant replay function? Is that a feature of FSX-SE?

Following the Follow-me Car to parking at VHHH

Follow-metoParkingb6794.jpg