Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

2 year absence from FS- hardware evolution questions

Hi All,

Been away from FS for a couple years and wondering how hardware has evolved. Specifically, what will I need in today's hardware market to meet my needs as I'm itching to get back into FS.

So, in the past I ran PMDG 737, some Orbyx Scenery's,  FSDT Airports . I always used freeware weather engines which were fine for me and didn't bog my old system down ( FSRealWX). I like world of AI and would like to use it again.  I'll stick with FSX for right  now but would like to leave  my options open to jump into P3D at some point. My old system was very antiquated, even back then. I was running an I-7 870 processor and an AMD 1gb GPU. I still managed to get in the mid- high teen's FPS using the NGX landing at FSDT Airports with 30% AI and some overcast weather.. Throw in Orbyx with all that and It would bog down to an unusable level of course.

With the new system it would be  nice to run as described and maintain frames in the 20's. Last I checked the 4790k was popular with either the 970 or 980 ti GPU. Z28 MB's seemed to be the flavor of the day.

Now I know there is a new generation of processors ( Skylake ) and the 1070 GPU seems to be the latest. I know these new hardware pieces are pricey. Is the new technology worth while investment  in running today's add on's? Or does the older Generation still get the job done at less cost? Of course, getting something  future proof as future proof can be would be nice. I'm not opposed to spending the big $$ if need be but Iike everyone, I don't like spending money unnecessarily. Any and all comments are welcome. Hope that gives you enough info to my objectives. Thanks much.

i7 6700K + ASUS Z170-A motherboard + G-Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB memory + your choice of GPU

Bert

I recently upgraded to i7-6700K with GTX 970 and that seems to be a good sweet spot on price/performance if you're trying to keep cost low.

One thing to keep in mind is that we've sort of reached the point where hardware is no longer the limiting factor.  The 4 GB VAS limit is now the limiting factor.  In other words, with my new system, I can get decent frame rates with all kinds of addons enabled.  But what's the point, when the sim runs out of memory and crashes. For example, my hardware is plenty powerful enough to run ORBX Southern California and FSDT's KLAX together, but the VAS limit crashes P3D.

I now have to pick and choose what addons are enabled based on the type of flight I'm doing.

I can get decent frame rates with all kinds of addons enabled.  But what's the point, when the sim runs out of memory and crashes. 

Then you are right to "pick and choose".   :smile:

Just because certain add-on's are on the market, available, doesn't mean we MUST buy them and install them. 

With some discipline in regard to what and how much we load the sim down with, we can achieve great eye candy and decent frame rate.

Greedy sim syndrome is very common these days.  :smile: Why many that aren't as wise as you complain about out of memory issues constantly.