Sign in to follow this  
gatechfan_99

I tried Windows 10 last summer...

Mitch,did you only remove the TODO file before upgrading,or something else?

I`m not sure,if i should upgrade or keep W7

Mike

Mitch,did you only remove the TODO file before upgrading,or something else?

I`m not sure,if i should upgrade or keep W7

Mike

Just removed the TODO, Mike.  Truly...in all parameters, W10 kicks W7's butt. I just finished a flight with XPX.50b7, and all your sims will run, and all their supporting weather, texture, blah, blah, will run/support them as well.

Mike, when your click on ASN, and other programs for the first time, you will see that they will auto-register again..and then you are good to go. P3D v2.4 had me re-enter my license, but funny that P3d v3.2.3 did not.  Go figure, lol. ASN, Active Sky Evo, both auto-registered as I was downloading weather.

Mike..everything that ran under W7 on my system, is running great under W10.  Nothing was locked out, or refused to run.  If you have a Creative Soundblaster sound card, after your W10 upgrade, merely go to www.creative.com and look under support for your card, and if my generations old, card had a full W10 update suite, with proper drivers...your's will too, etc.

There is not one thing (other than my having to update my Creative Soundblaster to their W10 driver support) I had to do, other than sit back and watch the show.  I do suggest strongly, that you attach all your equipment, and have it all turned on, as you start the W10 download and installation. Do this...and you will have no driver memory conflicts...and W10 will see your equipment and download/install the proper drivers for such, as part of the installation routine.

Have fun..and I'm sure you will be thrilled with all the performance increases you will undoubtedly see/enjoy.

Mike, not ONE regret in upgrading, post installation. Not one! :hi:

Thank you,Mitch.

I have also read your other post here where you mentioned to plug in all your peripherials---HDD`s,controllers etc the last time before you shut down W7.

Did you upgrade from an USB-Stick?

Mike

Being the clock is ticking down for the freebie upgrade I upgraded my an 6 year old laptop and messed with it a few months. Liked Win10 so much that I upgraded my AIO PC and now my FS PC and my Home entertainment PC.  All were upgrades - no clean installs and I must say I am impressed on how well everything works from the git-go.

Of course I have made full partition backups of Win7 all just in case  and now making backups of Win10.  P3D runs smooth and all my apps tested looking good.  Just one Python bat file that I need to investigate so not bad considering.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Thank you,Mitch.

I have also read your other post here where you mentioned to plug in all your peripherials---HDD`s,controllers etc the last time before you shut down W7.

Did you upgrade from an USB-Stick?

Mike

No Mike, what I did, was allow Windows Update to download the two update files, that one, parses your system to make sure it is 100 compatible, and the other, the Task Bar 'Get Window Icon' that will start the whole process.  After about 12 update files were downloaded and ran (those two amongst the 12), I then turned on my printer, scanner, all my WD MyBooks HD's, plugged in my three USB sticks into their respective USB 2 and USB 3 ports, and after seeing all the drivers load in...did a restart of Windows 7.

After I achieved my W7 Desktop once more, with all my equipment active, loaded and available to the system, did I then click on the Get Windows 10 and pressed Update Now, or whatever it says to start the process.  Then...sat back...watched all that I chronicled in my post (blog sort of, lol) and about an hour later, was at my new W10 Desktop, with everything as it was while displayed under W7.  

I then set about accessing all my hardware, which was still powered up, or plugged in...and after seeing all became responsive, shut down W10. I turned off my printer, scanner, unplugged my USB sticks, turned off my WD My Books...and then started up the computer once more. 

At the Desktop, I started to methodically run each and every flight sim, and its associated support programs, weather, texture, Orbx...and all not only ran..but ran much faster than ever under W7.  I then fanned out to my other utility software and in doing that, noticed that my Creative programs that interact with my SoundBlaster would open, but say they could not find the installed sound card.  I then knew what was going on...it was compatible drivers. I visited Creative's site....downloaded my part's W10 driver and program suite...and after a reboot, all was as before under W7.

So...it is quite painless...not the dreaded some software works...some does not...hit and miss.  Other than having to update my Creative suite...EVERYTHING (hardware and software) worked...and opened and closed, ran sub-routines much faster than W7.  Windows SNAP open and closed, it appears...very fast.  There are no negatives, only winning output and conclusions.

Hope this helps.

Mitch

Being the clock is ticking down for the freebie upgrade I upgraded my an 6 year old laptop and messed with it a few months. Liked Win10 so much that I upgraded my AIO PC and now my FS PC and my Home entertainment PC.  All were upgrades - no clean installs and I must say I am impressed on how well everything works from the git-go.

Of course I have made full partition backups of Win7 all just in case  and now making backups of Win10.  P3D runs smooth and all my apps tested looking good.  Just one Python bat file that I need to investigate so not bad considering.

Totally agree. Update, and no clean install needed.  The whole process took just less than an hour or so.That has been my experience in this.  I'm not going back...for frankly, there is no performance, or software/hardware need to...and I now move forward with W10...:)))))   Win, win, and win, Clutch, as you have already experienced!

Cheers

Thanks Mitch.

But i still don`t know........

Have read about so much trouble with W10 and in the end i have weeks of work to get all running again.

Have to think about it,one week time to decide.

Mike

Thanks Mitch.

But i still don`t know........

Have read about so much trouble with W10 and in the end i have weeks of work to get all running again.

Have to think about it,one week time to decide.

Mike

Mike, It's all about the personal comfort zone.  I knew I would be going to it...and so better sooner, (and free!) than later.  Deal with any conflags...but there were none. Just a great decision to act on my part.  :)  I hooked in...and don't need to think any more about the coming 29th....  I read all the wicked-witch-of-the-west regarding W10 for the last year, too...and found nothing in actual use, to come close to the hyperbole-of-doom.  I found nothing at all, in fact... :hi: ...well, except incredible performance from my system, and my sim software in general.  THAT, ...I did find.

In fact...as regards my flight simulation...it was the best decision of the last 5 years, LOL!

Its turned into a fiasco for real

Tempted to delete the WIn10 and reinstall!

Turns out that when I'm doing a flight with the PMDG 777 with ASN, FSInn, and VAFS...after 45 minutes or so into the flight, it starts freezing for up to 15 seconds then resume for only 5-10 seconds and freeze up again.

Unless there is some simple way to fix this, I'm afraid I'm going to be on Windows 7 for good.

Any ideas where I can search for this problem?

John Bradley 

AAL132

Turns out that when I'm doing a flight with the PMDG 777 with ASN, FSInn, and VAFS...after 45 minutes or so into the flight, it starts freezing for up to 15 seconds then resume for only 5-10 seconds and freeze up again.

Unless there is some simple way to fix this, I'm afraid I'm going to be on Windows 7 for good.

Any ideas where I can search for this problem?

John Bradley 

AAL132

That actually had nothing of itself to do with W10.  I had that with W7, and XP.  It's GPU exhaustion.  Another of that symptom, is that all screen animation freezes, but you can still hear sim sounds.

Others have said that it is having the H.D. Audio portion of any display suite installed.  I actually can't remember what I did to end that...but I did..and I have never seen it happen again.  Not with W7, or with W10.  You have to do some more research...but it is a driver/GPU thing...and not the system the GPU or driver is running under.

No need to delete W10 to get windows 7 back, the roll back feature in W10 works perfectly you will be back in windows 7 in minutes.

ROLL BACK, do NOT RESTORE!!

Look for the function that allows to roll back to previous operating system.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Settings > Recovery > Go back to Windows 7, works perfectly

Sticking to Windows 7 and refusing the free upgrade offer works even better! :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That actually had nothing of itself to do with W10.  I had that with W7, and XP.  It's GPU exhaustion.  Another of that symptom, is that all screen animation freezes, but you can still hear sim sounds.

Others have said that it is having the H.D. Audio portion of any display suite installed.  I actually can't remember what I did to end that...but I did..and I have never seen it happen again.  Not with W7, or with W10.  You have to do some more research...but it is a driver/GPU thing...and not the system the GPU or driver is running under.

Thanks...I see where you are coming from.  I went into "Device Manager" and have disabled all the nVidia audio drivers since I use a 32" monitor via an HDMI cable and two regular monitors as well.  

Running FSX from where I saved last night and its been running over an hour and so far no freezes up.

Will keep up to date.  

THANKS FOR THAT ADVICE!!

John Bradley

AAL132

Sticking to Windows 7 and refusing the free upgrade offer works even better!

A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with you, however after using W10 I have to say it really is very nice once you get used to the new look, In operation it seems much snappier than W7 and the new start menu in the latest fast lane build is very functional, much better than the one in Windows 7.

Best windows yet, by far.