Sign in to follow this  
gatechfan_99

I tried Windows 10 last summer...

Didn't like it.  Rolled it back to Windows 7.  Decided since MS has seemed to fix a lot of the issues with Windows 10 and more and more people here are starting to like it and that the driver issues related with FSX and the various addons seems to be fixed.

So..I started to take the plunge to upgrade to Windows 10.  

However I can't seem to get past the first reboot screen after it downloads the files and gets me to click on the EULA.  It wants to reboot over and over and resume from there.  I did that at least 20 times and it restarts Windows 7-64 at the exact same spot.  "Windows 10 is ready to install.  Click Restart to begin."

Any ideas?  

John Bradley

AAL123

If you can, you should do a clean install. Upgrade installs are the root of every single Windows 10 problem I've read about and had to deal with myself, working in IT.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I think the Reboot loop is to do with an Orbx file. If you have Orbx installed you need to delete this particular file.

Do a search on this forum regarding the Orbx file.

As the above poster mentioned, I would also recommend a full install of W10

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Thanks, fellas.  I'll download the Windows 10 update files, save on a CD and try later.

John Bradley

AAL132

The file name is TODO and it will stop the W10 upgrade every time.

There is one dll left behind by AVG anti virus in /windows/system32 if I remember correctly that can also cause the update to fail.

As per Glynn s post if youhave Orbx Scenery

Goto

C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Orbx

Check for the file called TODO, this stopped my install failed at the very end . Removed the file and all ok

• Upvote 1

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

I haven't had a problem with this to date. I just keep closing the Windows 10 update "suggestion" window, and nothing ever happens. If it does decide to go ahead and install Windows 10 without my permission........God help Microsoft :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I did a clean Win 10 install and have no regrets at all.

My partner upgraded from Win 7 and has no end of trouble. 

I did an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, as well as another from 8.1 to 10. No problems at all on either laptops, even though the 8.1 laptop was a Celeron 2GB Ram machine. All working very well with FS2004 & P3D. Loading seems to be a bit faster as well.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Ok, folks...I did the fresh install of Win 10 and took days to get everything back up and running with FSX.  I have noticed that there are few issues.  Mostly when I close FSX, it tends to crash instead of closing smoothly.

Tried my first long-haul flight this afternoon and found I still had a pants-load of work to do.  Such as getting FSBuild to copy to FSX, ASN, PMDG777 among others.

Another issue that's been extremely annoying is not being able to put the FSX icon in the tile area.  First of all, the icon didn't show up on the desktop.  had to create a shortcut from the FSX folder.  Then when I tried to tile it, it won't go further.  Finally I gave up and pinned the FSX icon in the task bar.

As far as performance goes...its been extremely smooth with the few flights I've done.  I haven't done a long PMDG 777 flight just yet, but plan to tomorrow night.  No stutters.  FSInn loaded up pretty good after a few tweaks.  I have EZDok installed and still messing with that.

As with every clean install, it can be a PITA getting everything back up to snuff from before.  Oh...I just remembered...While I was on the ground at KJFK with a lot of traffic, for the first time in a long time, I was able to see the WOI a/c while logged to VATSIM.  That happened rarely with Win7-64 and I didn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the advice, guys...

John Bradley

AAL132

I was going through the same problem when trying to update from Win 7 to 10, it kept rebooting and restoring back to Windows 7. I even tried deleting that TODO file that OrbX leaves behind and still didn't fix the problem. So I ended up having to clean install Windows 10. It was a huge PITA, took me almost a week to get everything back up, but it was worth the trouble.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Final followup:

After a week of reinstalling everything...PMDG, ASN, FSBuild, GSX, London, and various freeware sceneries, I finally sat down to do my first VATSIM flight.

Started FSX...then crash to desktop. Over and over and over.

Took a few days of research and to realize the uiautomationcore.dll file needed to be moved to the root directory.  Only problem is that the Win10's version is crap for FSX.  I finally found a Vista version out there and placed into the FSX rood directory.  Ever since then...no crashes to desktop.

So far after a few test flights with the PMDG 777, its been seamless.  Still working on my EZDok settings, but I feel confident that its going to work out fine after all under Windows 10.

John Bradley

AAL132

I did a clean Win 10 install and have no regrets at all.

My partner upgraded from Win 7 and has no end of trouble. 

I removed the Orbx TODO file before attempting upgrade. Had a great upgrade with no bad issues.  All software and hardware runs the same as though still under W7.  Clean install was not needed for success in my conversion.

I did the upgrade using the downloaded Windows Media Tool, NOT the toolbar icon that gave me endless hassles to get working.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I did the upgrade using the downloaded Windows Media Tool, NOT the toolbar icon that gave me endless hassles to get working.

I allowed the two Windows Update files, the one that parses your system, to make sure it is 100 percent compatible in hardware and software, and the 'Get Windows 10' task bar, to install on my system. When I was ready, I fired up that...chose to upgrade, and wham-bam....one hour later, I was rocking and rolling....problem free. :)

When I first got to my W10 Desktop, I noticed that W10 deletes the Get Windows Task Bar update, as it is then redundant. This truly is well thought out. As for reporting back to the Empire telemetry, I have that all shut down. The only telemetry that I have allowed to execute is the live, in real time, system optimizing and grooming, software and hardware, with drivers that I am so totally gung-ho about. This is a truly very powerful feature to give you at all times, the optimum experience.  It is not in my view, about 'losing' control....but in fact, about allowing a time-consuming and diverting system maintenance, to be on-going, and fully automatic for the User. I would never shut this down, a most powerful and progressive O.S. feature to date!

All in all, Wobbie, I'm having a stellar experience of usage.

Mitch