Sign in to follow this  
gatechfan_99

I tried Windows 10 last summer...

Actually, I use "classic shell" with Windows 10.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I used that to 'tame'Windows 8.1.

The new Start Menu, in the up-coming Windows 10 update looks quite nice.... we will have to wait & see..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Ditto here too.

The new start menu in the latest build is the most functional that I have seen on any version of windows.

Better than classic shell, finally MS gets it right.

Glynn, what's this fast lane build you're speaking of? I disabled automatic updates so I'm not sure if I will have that build. Is there a way we can choose what updates gets installed rather than letting Windows update everything automatically?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I am talking about the fast lane build released to the MS W10 insider group, there are two lanes for updates, fast and slow.

The latest fast lane build looks to be essentially what will be in the anniversary release.

Why would you want to disable automatic updates on an OS designed to be an always evolving piece of software, are you happy to live without bug fixes and new features ?

:hi: Indeed!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I am talking about the fast lane build released to the MS W10 insider group, there are two lanes for updates, fast and slow.

The latest fast lane build looks to be essentially what will be in the anniversary release.

Why would you want to disable automatic updates on an OS designed to be an always evolving piece of software, are you happy to live without bug fixes and new features ?

Because I don't like the idea of Windows 10 forcing updates down my throat. I rather have more flexibility with my updates. This is the one thing I don't like about the new Windows. At least allow me what updates I want to install and give me a choice on when I want to install them. With it on, everything is running in the background and I have no idea of when or what the details of the updates are, and knowing Microsoft, there's always going to be a ton of updates.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Did we not accept all updates from Windows XP, 7, 8 etc? As we do with most other things that we have, such as Android, Apple?

Not sure as to what makes 10 so different?

As Glynn says...

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

You actually think all updates brings fixes and improvements, I ran into numerous problems with Windows 7. There were a few updates that actually made my system crash and unstable. And it was a nightmare to fix. This is why I wish there was a choice for when and what I want to update. I don't like any software or operating system automatically doing updates in the background without my consent.

You actually think all updates brings fixes and improvements, I ran into numerous problems with Windows 7. There were a few updates that actually made my system crash and unstable.

Great reason to move to a more thoroughly tested OS then, that's why the insider program has these different release rings so folks like yourself get updates that have been through many different stages of testing before being rolled out to the stable release.

Which is also part of the reason for the telemetry built in to the OS, MS gets continual feedback from your machine and refines the OS based on all of this info from the installed customer base (350m devices).

Still your next PC will be running Windows 10, The next generation of hardware will not support anything less, so you will get to enjoy all this whether you like it or not.

Glynn, as an avid proponent of Windows 10, can you kindly explain, why under Windows 7 I never once had an issue with USB joystick all of a sudden disconnecting itself from Device Manager, whereas in Windows 10, it is a frequent occurrence as I have repeatedly re-install the driver for that joystick, oddly enough a Microsoft product ?

Did we not accept all updates from Windows XP, 7, 8 etc? As we do with most other things that we have, such as Android, Apple?

Yep, I always have, with not one single problem in doing so over more years than I care to count, and I'll continue doing so for Win10. I always take the latest drivers as well, and even found much newer versions via the Device Manager for USB3 and system devices (chipset components) than seeking via other routes. I have zero issues with disconnects, or anything else for that matter since updating to Win10.

Lucky I guess :Whistle:

Of course we will all eventually move to Windows 10. It's just that I don't need to do it yet.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

So.... After reading these posts and others yesterday, I decided, with one foot in and one foot out, that I would trigger the big download of Win 10 in case I wanted to REALLY wait until the last minute before making up my mind. I'd been very successful in keeping the W10 nagging stuff off of my desktop up until now, so I hadn't really spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Well! Microsoft had other plans for me! I ran the 'Upgrade Assistant' tool that I had downloaded in trying to troubleshoot a problem W7 update issue a few weeks back. While it was downloading the files, it showed all these feel good assurances on the download window, things like "You can choose to schedule your upgrade for any time". But, upon finishing the download, it simply started the install process!

Now, like I said, I already was on the fence about things. I didn't feel like doing anything else last night, and it sounded reassuring that it's relatively easy to roll back in case I didn't like it, so I just decided to sit back and go along for the ride. :smile:

Anyhow - everything went extremely smooth, and the upgrade took less than 45 minutes. Everything still seems to work fine, and much to my surprise, the world didn't collapse into a black hole. I actually really like some of the new features, there's sure been some UI improvements. Will take awhile to explore everything, but so far I like it enough that I may consider updating my 8.1 laptop as well.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.