Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

A HONEST view on how P3Dv3 performs...

Have you tried DSR? I run 2x DSR and then 2x Supersampling in NVI. I don't see any shimmering.

Unlike you, unlimited yields the best experience on my system. At least with my current results (I got 970 2 weeks ago)

• Upvote 1

You should consider something other than NVI to cap your framerate. Nvidia's implementation of the framerate limiter is very poor, tends to use up excess CPU cycles. Just a suggestion :)

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd love a suggestion on the software as I'd like to do this. Thanks.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd love a suggestion on the software as I'd like to do this. Thanks.

The generally recommended one is RivaTuner Statistics Server. It also comes packaged with MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X. Works really well, small overhead and is free. Can be found here; http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html - Let it start with Windows so you don't forget it, turn off the overlay features ('On-Screen Display Support') and then add a P3D profile, then put in the framerate you want.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Hi AnkH,

I realised a very long time ago to take such claims with a very large pinch of salt. Not saying we are being deceived as I'm sure those claims are perfectly genuine. However, rarely are we comparing apples with apples as so much depends on what you fly, where you fly, the settings employed and hardware specs.

As you can see from the rig specs in my signature area I have a pretty potent build by todays standards. I choose to run with moderately high sim settings and I do use 4xSGSSAA in Nvidia Inspector. Most of the time performance is very good indeed, but still there are times when it can be a struggle to maintain frame rates >30.

Unless each frame rate and performance claim is backed up with a full set of parameters then I would regard that claim as being irrelevant to me. In the end you have to be prepared to experiment and find an acceptable balance which is in keeping with the capabilities of your hardware and also covers your requirements, most of the time, as you move between flight situations.

As an example, currently I am running some tests by visiting a multitude of airports/airstrips in the amazing Scotflight for Orbx product. I chose to fly around in the default Alabeo Extra as it offers both speed and agility. I have been using a mouse as my flight controller. Performance throughout has been outstanding with rare evidence of any stuttering and frame rates are generally maintained between 40-50, sometimes higher. However, these figures can drop significantly while flying in a very detailed area like Glasgow. Fortunately I can stll keep fairly close to 30fps and so smoothness of frame updating is maintained. It should be said that I run Unlimited with VSync On and my monitor is refreshing at 120Hz.

Providing more details would likely be unhelpful as our setups are different but, hopefully, you get the idea.

Regards,

Mike

Very interesting forum topic as I'm looking into switching to P3D v3.3 My current specs are very close to the OP as well. I've heard the P3D takes better advantage of the capability of the GPU so will be looking into upgrading that.Will have to re check the specs on my Z77 board to see if GPU upgrade even makes sense. Not ready to jump into a new build though. As has been stated endless tweaking and configuring has caused me to walk away from the sim at times stretching back over 15 years. 20 FPS is my goal with 30 being ideal. Don't know if it's even possible to maintain 30 FPS on short final into EGGL in PMDG aircraft in an AS generated thunderstorm with ORBX, Ultimate Traffic etc. with all the sliders maxed on any system. You would probably get an OOM before you even had a chance to check the FPS counter. Would love to see it though. Regards.

The generally recommended one is RivaTuner Statistics Server. It also comes packaged with MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X. Works really well, small overhead and is free. Can be found here; http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html - Let it start with Windows so you don't forget it, turn off the overlay features ('On-Screen Display Support') and then add a P3D profile, then put in the framerate you want.

I have just returned to flight simming after a long break. 

This suggestion is great except for one problem I have encountered. If you use a second monitor and undock and drag items (such as your GPS) to the second monitor you will half your frame rates. 

For me I use unlimited frame rates in Prepar3d and no frame rate limiter. I get stutters from time to time but I can deal with that more than a 50% frame rate drop. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

This suggestion is great except for one problem I have encountered. If you use a second monitor and undock and drag items (such as your GPS) to the second monitor you will half your frame rates. 

For me I use unlimited frame rates in Prepar3d and no frame rate limiter. I get stutters from time to time but I can deal with that more than a 50% frame rate drop. 

That's a shame. I don't use that function myself, so I wasn't aware. Thank you for the heads-up, in case I recommend it in the future. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Well...perhaps, but perhaps not.

The number of threads over the last decade that report the true performance of this or that platform, when combined with certain settings and add-ons are legion. Over the next decade there will be hundreds, or even thousands more.

Being a bit of a techie nerd, I probably read them all. (Gag)! Even if I disagreed with many conclusions proclaimed there was seldom (if) any reason to question the integrity or honesty of anyone. I doubt that many were "showing off".

No matter how informed, most of us are subjective analysts at best, although we may think otherwise. Anyway interesting points made, and appreciate the viewpoint, but must respectfully disagree with the negative primary conclusion(s).

Kind regards,

Bottom line - if you are using FPS as a gauge of your P3D performance - you will never be satisfied. As others have said - turn OFF the FPS counter and tune your system for smooth operation. I have always had my system(s) maxed at 20 and have never looked back.

Either you want to enjoy your sim or you want bragging points - you have to decide.

Vic

• Upvote 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have a very similar system as well but with the 3570k @ 4.6ghz (non-HT processor.) I get very similar numbers. The fact with FSX and P3D is you need an absolute bleeding edge CPU when it comes to trying to keep frame rate up at major hub airports. Although P3D generally does a lot more GPU work than FSX, it's still hobbled by intense CPU demand in those areas.

Ultimately like vgbaron said above, you just have to cope with it with the FPS counter turned off and focus on procedures, flying and enjoyment ;)

Thanks, both of you. If RTSS does as NI does and halves frame rates for each window, I'm no joy as I run with four windows undocked.

Fortunately, I find P3D very smooth even at low framerates. If I do have stutters AI aircraft are nearly always the culprit.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Bottom line - if you are using FPS as a gauge of your P3D performance - you will never be satisfied. As others have said - turn OFF the FPS counter and tune your system for smooth operation. I have always had my system(s) maxed at 20 and have never looked back.

Either you want to enjoy your sim or you want bragging points - you have to decide.

Vic

I totally agree .... Frame rate paranoia is a terrible disease .... See your Doctor at once!!

Paul

Now, thanks to those tipps here I simply turned off my frame limiter inside P3D (setting on unlimited) and used the NVI limiter at 45FPS and yes, the increase of FPS even on heavy airports is quiet remarkable, surprising. However, the fluctuation of the FPS is sometimes so huge, that I do not really know if I now prefer steady 20FPS or 25-40FPS with huge fluctuations rendering the sim obviously less smooth. Maybe I can find a better cutoff there. However, I also observed two interesting things I never observed so far:

1. Flying around with the default R22 over EDDF v2 with the weather preset "fair weather", I realized that when my sim was running, I had about 20-25FPS. But as soon as I paused the sim, the FPS ramped up almost to the framelimiter value, around 40-45. Even when panning around, those 40FPS were maintained. Then, as soon as I un-paused P3D, bam, FPS down again to 20-25. Reproducible. Is this a known effect? Why is it like that?

2. Turning on my G-sync windowed feature seems not to be the way to go for my settings and my setup. Why? As soon as the FPS are at the "edge", ranging from 28-32, the whole monitor flickers slightly but noticeable, because G-sync is basically turned on above 30FPS and off below 30FPS. In situations with more than 30FPS, G-Sync does its job, that's nice, but when the FPS are at the limit, it flickers. No surprise, that sitting in the Aerosoft Airbus on a bigger airport, those 30FPS are really the cutoff and in 90% of the time on such airports, the FPS are exactly in this cutoff range, I think I have to turn off G-sync again.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I totally agree .... Frame rate paranoia is a terrible disease .... See your Doctor at once!!

Paul

:Applause:  :Applause:  :Applause:

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX