Sign in to follow this  
aarque

South China Sea - Woody's Island

I intend to do a new scenery for a development in the Spratly Island Group, which is known as Woody's Island internationally and Yongxing Dao in China. My problem is that the only adequate photographic capture of the area, whatsoever (at least in public domain) is from Getty Images and they want $575 US for it, which is beyond my personal budget for a freeware scenery.

1455430731386.jpg

I am fascinated by events in the South China Sea and have already uploaded two sceneries related to the region. Pagasa Island is the Philippines strongest claim within the disputed region and the PLAN Fleet is composed of units already assigned to, or typical of the area. Woody's Island is easily China's strongest investment toward securing dominance in that area. Infrastructure on the island is advanced to the point that China is prepared to declare an air defense identification zone as was done previously in the East China Sea, postured toward Japan.

Meanwhile, commercial flights to the island were started Feb 2, wonder if he Priceline negotiator can get me a good rate.

The Chinese media is posturing the island as "China's Hawaii" and is actively promoting tourism. It is a meritable idea, because a sand spit where alcohol is actually cheaper than drinkable water will only be an outpost without newlyweds wandering about.

I have already acquired a great deal of background information about the area and can almost recall the mayor of Sansha's name. I have many structures, the government seat, radars, J-11 fighter. Decent images of the airport terminal will allow me to provide a convincing simulation. Ultimately the ground photograph will be heavily edited to remove many of the building shadows, clouds and basically anything that is modeled.

I am asking about interest, perhaps someone has a connection to quality pictures of the area. I considered that crowd funding might work so if no one replies I probably won't go that route. Does anyone have an idea how or if I should proceed? Specifically I need the original high resolution version of the above image, or similar coverage with about twice the resolution shown.

Thanks

Rick Keller

Nice work so far.  Any updates.  I've located in the Spratly Islands construction on;

Cuarteron Reef (helicopters and ships)

Fiery Reef (Aircraft, Helos and ships)

Mischief Reef (Aircraft, Helos, and ships)

Zhubi Reef (Aircraft, Helos, and ships)

Gaven Reef (Helos and ships)

Hughes Reef (Helos and ships)

Johnson South Reef (Helos and ships)

But so far can't find much FSX scenery, so have been trying my best.

Using Google Earth I have created a very simple version of each listed.  Makes for great island hopping.

On 6/7/2017 at 6:59 PM, Sean H said:

Nice work so far.  Any updates.

Thanks for asking, there has been a great deal of updating going on, actually. I'll qualify these images by stating they have been captured during the course of development, things will change and often improve. There are three islands, Woody's Island or Yongxing Dao:

overview.jpg

Subi Reef or Zubi Dao:

subi%20gem.jpg

I am in the process of creating a new ground.bgl for Fiery Cross Reef:

J11b.jpg

There are four dedicated AI aircraft, 5 if you count the second J-11 that usually fly within a few hundred yards of each other as they patrol between Subi and Fiery Cross:

subi%20taxi.jpg

There is also a Chenghe Z-8, created for this scenery:

success.jpg

The Alphasim Tu-16 in Xian H-6 colors, below you see a static Y-20 transport created for this scenery:

h6.jpg

Finally there is the FAIB 737 in Hainan Airlines livery and the PAD CRJ-700 in China MOD livery:

mod%20crj.jpg

There are three AI ships patrolling the various islands and I intend to set one on course to the default oil rig, which I have placed in the Gulf of Tonkin, at the reported location of Haiyang Shiyou 981 and placed and airport designator of HYSY also:

rig.jpg

I'll close with a few postcard images of current status.

MSA.jpg

JIANGHU.jpg

subi%20lighthouse.jpg

subi%20apron.jpg

point%20defense.jpg

early%20watch.jpg

battery.jpg

Rick Keller

On 6/21/2017 at 7:06 AM, aarque said:

Thanks for asking, there has been a great deal of updating going on, actually. I'll qualify these images by stating they have been captured during the course of development, things will change and often improve. There are three islands, Woody's Island or Yongxing Dao:

overview.jpg

Subi Reef or Zubi Dao:

subi%20gem.jpg

I am in the process of creating a new ground.bgl for Fiery Cross Reef:

HDeMxU4.jpg

There are four dedicated AI aircraft, 5 if you count the second J-11 that usually fly within a few hundred yards of each other as they patrol between Subi and Fiery Cross:

aRwhL1v.jpg

There is also a Chenghe Z-8, created for this scenery:

JBKyPdt.jpg

The Alphasim Tu-16 in Xian H-6 colors, below you see a static Y-20 transport created for this scenery:

lXVbI8N.jpg

Finally there is the FAIB 737 in Hainan Airlines livery and the PAD CRJ-700 in China MOD livery:

WqsDtQa.jpg

There are three AI ships patrolling the various islands and I intend to set one on course to the default oil rig, which I have placed in the Gulf of Tonkin, at the reported location of Haiyang Shiyou 981 and placed and airport designator of HYSY also:

h6yNN7s.jpg

I'll close with a few postcard images of current status.

slEKCrL.jpg

UkFjO1B.jpg

0BJ6zF8.jpg

sND6RF7.jpg

g1WJS3g.jpg

vENekOj.jpg

oUDY5c6.jpg

VnkLdjA.jpg

4013XaQ.jpg

Q2iq8VB.jpg

XhRab0Z.jpg

84aU583.jpg

PyBPjK8.jpg

I replaced the images from the blocked hosting service and added a few more.

Rick Keller

Have not worked on the scenery for about a week - directly, but I've completed another ship for placement, that I hope will also be showing up in a soon to be released installment of a popular and high quality AI ship traffic compilation. Here are a few images of Kunlan Shan placed in the bay formed by Subi Island. It has animated radars and flag and three LOD models to manage all those polygons:

7T1pZCz.jpg

abYJAcG.jpg

2WODfDF.jpg

csS5c79.jpg

Rick Keller