Sign in to follow this  
JSkorna

I'm back and in need of help...

Guest adamnardone

Hi guys,I've been out of the Flight Simulator scene for a while now, at least 6 months. I've lost my touch as far as up-to-date stuff is concerned and am hoping that you guys can tell me whats hot and whats not. Any suggestions for things to get, sites or files to look out for etc. Any help would be appriciated.

Guest allcott

Adam, Grab a coffee, a notepad (or open one on the desktop) sit back - and scroll through the forum. You will fnd all the issues and all the recommendations you need! :-)Allcott

Guest adamnardone

Thank you for the feedback, I'm more than happy to do as you suggest, however I'd like to get all the essentials covered to get going and explore more as I go on. Any help on that would be good...

Guest Knikolaes

>Hi guys,>>I've been out of the Flight Simulator scene for a while now,>at least 6 months. I've lost my touch as far as up-to-date>stuff is concerned and am hoping that you guys can tell me>whats hot and whats not. Any suggestions for things to get,>sites or files to look out for etc. Any help would be>appriciated.>This isn't a shameless plug or anything -- but easier for me to link you than to tell you here.I run a modest little reviews site and am in the process of reviewing the fleet that I already have. Go to http://guildofdarkhaven.org/flying and check out the aircraft reviews.I havent started my other areas yet (such as scenery, avionics, etc.) so I'll just blurt a few out . . . Megascenery is a GREAT addition if you fly a lot in the Megascenery areas. I especially love using the Pacific Northwest areas for REALLY making the default FS "flight lessons" more scenic. And, they are actually EASIER on framerates than default scenery. I dont know why, but it just is. I get more FPS while flying over Megascenery than anywhere else.Simflyers, Flytampa and OSS make awesome airports. If they make it, I suggest it. I am also addicted to OSS' London scenery.Switzerland Professional (found at Aerosoft web site) combined with the freeware Suisse2004 available in AVSIM make for awesome adventuring in the Alps.If photo real terrain isnt for you, but VFR flying is, then Ultimate Terrain USA and Ultimate Terrain Canada from Flight1 are great additons. They even make 3D lights near the ground. It's an AWESOME upgrade and it fits VERY well over the FSGenesis 38m terrain mesh available for both areas. Soon there is about to be an Ultimate Terrain released for Europe, too, which is going to be my next buy.I might also suggest Flight1's Flight Environment.Even if you do not get anything else -- get the Ultimate Terrains and Flight Environment, throw in a few good airports of your liking and a couple of good aircraft and you have the makings of a wonderful simulator experience.Ah -- and if you want AI - go freeware -- go project AI. Ultimate Traffic is a joke and none of their flight plans are even close to realistic. They say they are, but I am not sure what is realistic about flooding my home airport (KPUB) with airlines that do not even serve this ara of the country! (we are a very small airport and served by 1 airline flying a single Beech 1900D. After installing and trying out Ultimate Traffic, I suddenly had Northwest, Delta, Southwest and others choking my poor home airport :-( )Hope that helps for starters. I can only hope the aircraft pages I have placed on my web site will help in the aircraft area :-) That list on my site is about a third of my fleet, but even if the reviews are not yet published, if it's on that list then it is a decent aircraft to own :-)Take care.

Guest adamnardone

Thank you. Exactly what I'm after! Now if anyone can shed some light on the realease of FS10, that'd just about finish me off for the evening!

Guest adamnardone

Not really! LOL! Not too fussed at the moment. FS9 is an excellent sim.

When it comes to aircrafts, you can't have missed the C-130 release. Even though Captain Sim have painted himself into a corner, shot himself in the foot, and bites the hand that feeds him, thats more of a loss for CS than for you and me IMHO. The aircraft is absolutely fantastic, read the review here at Avsim, it's true, every word!If, like me, you still have a lot to learn about flying a heavy BOEING, the Phoenix 777 is it. The manuals alone are almost worth the price, very informative. Also the way the automatic systems work, can tell you something about how to operate less automated planes, just by watching the readouts while operating it. The FDE and FMC among other things needs fixing, but it's in good hands.Last but not least, the combo Reality XP/Dreamfleet have provided us with a GA winner, the Baron 58.Have funEagleOh, here's the C-130: