Sign in to follow this  
Constantine

Recommended set-up for FS9

Hi   I'd like to know your recommendations please for Windows 7 and FS9 use in terms of the OS compatability, including Graphics Card, Drivers, CPU etc; compatability in particular between Hardware & Software.

Many Thanks

Win 7 is perfect for FS, I don't keep up with or look at hardware till it's time to buy something. Others I'm sure will chime in with what's out there at the moment. Depending on budget, you will likely be best to keep your graphics card and CPU of similar performance as FS uses both. Drivers is an experiment thing, whatever ends up working best for your system. I've used nVidia and ATI cards, always a big debate but I'm convinced now nVidia is the better option unless you need an ATI for a very specific reason. Some may also recommend a SSD drive. I'm running FS on a SSD and don't really find any great benefits with my current setup. An SSD can greatly speed up other things such as your computer boot time which is certainly welcomed. SSD's cost quite a bit more per gig compared to a standard drive.

Something I never see mentioned, get a decent and large case! Some hardware components are becoming huge! If you want to upgrade anything later on, it's good to have the room to do it. I'm running a GTX 970 card, my case is a decent size and I didn't expect problems with space but I still had to grind a small piece out of it to get the card to fit.

Mark Daniels

Hi thank you very much indeed for the detailed response.

I'm actually using Windows 7 64bit 32 with intel ® core 15-4670 CPU and 3.40Ghz  (4 CPUs) 3.46Hz

memory 16384 Mb Ram 

Direct X11  with NVDIA GeForce GTX 760  approx total memory 4042Mbs

Current display mode 1920x1080 (32bit) 60Hz

with latest Drivers 368.22  23.5. 016.

This has been running well for a long time with my FS9 but for some unknown reason now my scenery has lost all realistic detail appears a litlte to bright and most upsetting is the ad-on scenery just looks so unrealistic like a cartoon with buildings looking more like blocks totally different for what are quite expensive mega airports from aerosoft/Flytampa etc

I had my system initialized and was told my drivers and graphic card were okay, but i'm really confused what I need to amend to restore the scenery textures to their initial downloaded state.

Many thanks

Latest Nvidia drivers don't automatically mean best graphic results. I went back to 361.91 version. So eventually reinstall the driver you used before..

Latest Nvidia drivers don't automatically mean best graphic results. I went back to 361.91 version. So eventually reinstall the driver you used before..

Agree with the above. If it was all working well some change was made to your system. Appears drivers would be the first place to start after reading your post.

Mark Daniels

Hi Guys thank you very much, I updated to the latest drivers after I had this problem with the original drivers so I don't know how beneficial going back would be but I don't know how I can influence the texture side of things, the FS9 is working perfectly with the exception of the lack of realistic texture to the airports etc. Anyway i'll give the old drivers a re-run and let you know,  have you used any tweaks to improve your textures or experienced anything similar to this?

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Guys sorry

could I ask how I find and re-install my previous Drivers? My previous Driver was NVDIA 9.18.13 2049

date21.06.2013 WDDM 1.1  DD1 Version 11

Many Thanks

Richard

Hi Guys sorry

could I ask how I find and re-install my previous Drivers? My previous Driver was NVDIA 9.18.13 2049

date21.06.2013 WDDM 1.1  DD1 Version 11

Many Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard, there should have been an install disk that came with your graphics card, the drivers will be on that.

Yet again thank you so much, but no change after restoring my previous driver, I looked into my FS9 Cfg don't know if this sheds any light on the problem the Graphics were set to

Default texture =2

Texture Max Load 1024

Texture Bld =1

Texture Gnd =1

Aircraft =1

Texture Quality =3

Display GeForce GTX 760.0  1024 x 768 x32

texture bandwidth 60

Many Thanks

Richard

Can you please also Post a screenshot of your Nvidia panel settings?

texture bandwidth 60

Hi Richard, I'm not sure this will help, but your texture bandwidth is 60, mine is: TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=1024

A32xx Thank you very much sadly no change, but thank you!

Sascha  I've wrote the contents of the NVDIA Control Panel

Change Resolution

Resolution  1024 x 768    Refresh Rate 70Hz

Desktop Colour Depth

Highest 32 bit    Output Colour Depth 8bpc   Output Colour Format RGB  Output Dynamic Range Full

NVDIA colour settings 

Brightness 50   Contrast 50  Hue 179  Saturation 50% 

Thank you very much I hope this helps

Thank you

Richard

Hi Richard, I think Sascha meant the NVidia Inspector settings if you use it. If I may ask a silly question, do you have Render To Texture ticked in your Display settings like this: 

Display_zpsugpmzuln.jpg

Hi  no I don't use the Nvdia Inspector, my display resolutions are on the second line I have all the hardware rendering boxes checked  and have MIP & Hardware rendering lights set the same, I have tried literally every combination but can't get the original state I wanted, i've tried making resolution & colour changes from within the Nvdia panel with little success   and FS9 Cfg file  so my options are getting less sadly

Anyway, thank you so much again !

Maybe it's the textures themselves. Have you used dxtfixerx before? If not, it's in the library here and I highly recommend running it on all your scenery and aircraft directories.

It would be really useful if you could post a screen shot of the affected textures, a picture is worth a thousand words as they say!