Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

My 4k TV seems to have lost its 4k display

I'm running W10 x 64 with a 980Ti card on a Samsung 55' 4k TV.

All was well until last night.  My desktop (and therfore also flightsim) now seems to be running at a lower resolution than 4k.  It looks like 1080p to me. The desktop fonts are scaled correctly, but slightly aliased, the display somewhat blurred and the colour is somewhat muted.  Nvidia control panel is set at 3840x2160 (native) as is my Windows resolution.   The cables are secure and properly connected. 

I'm a bit stumped..  I remember when installing W10 a few weeks back, I had this problem initially.  A mate of mine did something in the settings which returned the display to a crisp colourful 4k display, and I'm not sure what he did.  He's  unavailable currently, and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Cheers

erich

Is it possible for  the HDMI cable to stop delivering a 4k signal?  It's the only thing I can think has happened.  All settings are at 4k on the video card and on the TV setting, but the is  definitely not displaying 4K.  But as HDMI cables are quite expensive, I'm hesitant to get a new one, just to eliminate the possibility.

Is it possible for  the HDMI cable to stop delivering a 4k signal?  It's the only thing I can think has happened.  All settings are at 4k on the video card and on the TV setting, but the is  definitely not displaying 4K.  But as HDMI cables are quite expensive, I'm hesitant to get a new one, just to eliminate the possibility.

You haven't changed the HDMI port you are using on the TV recently have you?

Some TV HDMI ports have to be configured specifically for a computer.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi GB

I've had the TV for a few months with no display issues.  This has happened in the last few days.   

I think the problem is even worse.  I think my 4k TV is dying.  The white fonts on my desktop have an orange/brown colouration which is odd.  No matter which settings I use, flightsim is an aliased mess and the textures are not as sharp as they were.  It's pretty much like I remember 1080p being.

Even though the TV says its outputting at 2160p and Nvidia CP is saying the same, I can't get the image to improve.

Just wondered whether anyone else had any thoughts on the issue

Even though the TV says its outputting at 2160p and Nvidia CP is saying the same, I can't get the image to improve.
Just wondered whether anyone else had any thoughts on the issue

What's it like watching TV or DVD/Bluray disk?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I have a 65 inch Samsung . You might try a different Hdmi connection on rear of tv.  Have found this  is needed sometimes . How many choices for connection do you have.

My Samsung 65 inch curved is having an issue where the screen (on pc mode) blacks out for a moment and then goes back to normal. Suspect the graphic card hdmi slot is failing or the hdmi cable is failing.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Erich, it might be worth going through this Samsung 4K setup guide I found on a forum,

https://hardforum.co...-guide.1869675/

I found it very useful,
Eugene

Hi Eugene,

I used this same guide to set my TV up a few months ago.  In fact, I think you originally suggested it.  Very Helpful.  I've just run through the same process again and configured the 2nd HDMI port for gaming/PC use.  Same issue though.  It's funny that as I type this sentence, some of the words are blue and some are black.  It's looking very much to me as though the pixel mechanism has died.

@gboz - at the moment, watching Youtube videos or DVD is not too bad although I have tried to view a few 4k youtube videos and there is definitely some degradation in the quality of the display.  However, I don't use my pc for anything else other than flightsim.

My Samsung 65 inch curved is having an issue where the screen (on pc mode) blacks out for a moment and then goes back to normal. Suspect the graphic card hdmi slot is failing or the hdmi cable is failing.

The first things I would suspect are timing, bottleneck, power or cable shielding problem.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm running W10 x 64 with a 980Ti card on a Samsung 55' 4k TV.

All was well until last night.  My desktop (and therfore also flightsim) now seems to be running at a lower resolution than 4k.  It looks like 1080p to me. The desktop fonts are scaled correctly, but slightly aliased, the display somewhat blurred and the colour is somewhat muted.  Nvidia control panel is set at 3840x2160 (native) as is my Windows resolution.   The cables are secure and properly connected. 

I'm a bit stumped..  I remember when installing W10 a few weeks back, I had this problem initially.  A mate of mine did something in the settings which returned the display to a crisp colourful 4k display, and I'm not sure what he did.  He's  unavailable currently, and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Cheers

erich

Have you updated your graphics card drivers recently?  After a Nvidia driver update, your graphics card output will always default itself to "Limited" dynamic output range, this definitely makes the colours more "muted" than normal.  You have to manually go into Nvidia control panel and turn the "Output Dynamic Range" setting back to "FULL". 

@gboz - at the moment, watching Youtube videos or DVD is not too bad although I have tried to view a few 4k youtube videos and there is definitely some degradation in the quality of the display.  However, I don't use my pc for anything else other than flightsim.

Are the above viewed from your PC? Is it possible to connect a non PC source, a stand alone DVD player, or Sat Box, even a video from a USB to eliminate or confirm the source of the problem - if it's still there without the PC being involved - it must the set itself?

Especially a USB video - as there's no video cable involved

Eugene

do you use a receiver for your sound or the sound from the tv. I use a separate receiver and when  the receiver went bad , I had the problem  you are describing. Does not seem like a tv problem . try all tv connections and test all other devices connected to tv.  Again I repeat  run a direct hdmi from your computer to a direct hdmi on tv in several different hdmi connectios on tv. my Samsung has 3 hdmi connections on back ,try all of yours. Hope that helps . Dennis

gboz - at the moment, watching Youtube videos or DVD is not too bad although I have tried to view a few 4k youtube videos and there is definitely some degradation in the quality of the display.  However, I don't use my pc for anything else other than flightsim.

Apart from the suggestions above try another hdmi cable, (hdmi2 of course).

gb.

Doesn't the image get scaled if it's run though HDMI? I think dual link DVI is the only cable that will run true 4k

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.