Sign in to follow this  
jay281

Any updated thoughts on Nvidia Gsync?

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone is running a Gsync monitor? And what is there thoughts?

Thanks

James

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

I have one. I actually turn it off when using p3d. I find the sim is smoother with it off for some reason. However with FPS games I love it. It wouldn't be worth the money just for p3d.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I turn it off too.  It actually causes screen tearing for me under 35 FPS which pretty much all the time.

Ryan

I keep it on (full screen + windowed ticked in NCP) with FPS unlimited and Vsync off. I don't see any tearing.

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

144hz v-sync off... unlimited fps... no Nvidia Inspector... 4x DSR... 16x-8x AA inside P3d, outstanding performance and experience, best investment i ever bought for Flightsim.

tpewpb-6.png

Unlimited FPS. Game capped at 50FPS externally and G-Sync Windowed + Fullscreen enabled. It's a slice of heaven, G-sync really makes that nasty sub-60 feel smooth and playable! 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Take a look at http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review. On page 2 it says:

"Game/hardware/settings combinations that result in frame rates below 30 fps will exhibit stuttering since the G-Sync display will be forced to repeat frames, and similarly if your frame rate is equal to your refresh rate (60, 120 or 144 fps in this case) then you won’t really see any advantages over plain old v-sync."

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I have a Gsync display but for me it doesn't work that well with P3D. It's smoother on the whole but introduces a lengthy (half second or so) stutter every few seconds that I don't get with Gsync off.

For absolutely anything else however, Gsync is a MUST HAVE!

I also have a 144Hz G-Sync monitor and I have it disabled exclusively for P3D (love it in other games of course). Why? Because I have my settings configured to maintain as best as possible 30FPS, and sadly this is exactly the cutoff value for G-Sync. Now, I adjusted some settings recently and I realized that even with FPS on unlimited, I am down to 20-25FPS on heavy airports an 25-30FPS on intermediate airports and clearly above 30FPS everywhere else. And THIS is the issue for me. As soon as my FPS are above 30FPS, G-Sync kicks in and works, below it is automatically deactivated. The switch between G-Sync on and off results in a rather ugly shimmering of the display, as it is basically switching from about 30Hz to 144Hz and back very fast if the FPS are fluctuating around 30. Unbearable, that's why I turned it off. Of course you could argue that I should change my settings to be constantly above 30FPS, but to be above 30FPS in the Aerosoft VC sitting on a busy airport such as EDDF v2 with overcast conditions and AI traffic, I would have to turn down the settings that much that it hurts. So, I prefer 20-25FPS (still smooth) in those situations and no G-Sync.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

99% of my flight time fps are >80fps in air and on ground >40 fps (4790k, 980TI) depending on heavy scenery. I leave G-SYNC on (+unlimited, vsync/buffering off) all the time together with a Asus 34'' 100Hz monitor. The remaining 1% is e.g. a flight from/to EGLC, EGLL and AS London City where fps are around 30 fps with a complex aircraft. I can live with that even if G-Sync switches off <30Hz. But I enjoy it most of the time when fps are above 30fps.

As said before, as TrackIR user the more fps the better - at least to MY eyes.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Hi,

Thanks you for all your experiences, my monitor is delievered today (Acer Predator X34). Ill update with my experience.

Kind Regards

James

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

Im running the 144hz monitor as well...if that matters.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I also have a 144Hz G-Sync monitor and I have it disabled exclusively for P3D (love it in other games of course). Why? Because I have my settings configured to maintain as best as possible 30FPS, and sadly this is exactly the cutoff value for G-Sync. Now, I adjusted some settings recently and I realized that even with FPS on unlimited, I am down to 20-25FPS on heavy airports an 25-30FPS on intermediate airports and clearly above 30FPS everywhere else. And THIS is the issue for me. As soon as my FPS are above 30FPS, G-Sync kicks in and works, below it is automatically deactivated. The switch between G-Sync on and off results in a rather ugly shimmering of the display, as it is basically switching from about 30Hz to 144Hz and back very fast if the FPS are fluctuating around 30. Unbearable, that's why I turned it off. Of course you could argue that I should change my settings to be constantly above 30FPS, but to be above 30FPS in the Aerosoft VC sitting on a busy airport such as EDDF v2 with overcast conditions and AI traffic, I would have to turn down the settings that much that it hurts. So, I prefer 20-25FPS (still smooth) in those situations and no G-Sync.

Do you turn it on in the main settings and use a nvidia inspector profile to turn G sync off?

How do you turn it off just for one application?

I am upgrading from a 1080 1980x1080 TN 60hz panel to a Asus p348q 3440x1440 100hz IPS today and will put my thoughts together after a few days

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

yes, I turned off G-Sync specifically only for P3D via the nVidia Inspector profile.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I am up and running ofr a few days with new monitor with Gsync on and am pretty confident that when fps are over 30fps (which is 99% of the time for me) I get zero stutters. Never ever seen the sim so smooth

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK