Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

GTX 1060 and P3D V3.3

Do you think the GTX 1060 would be worth buying for P3D? I was debating whether or not to try to get a GTX 1070, or GTX 970SSC, but Nvidia just announced a GTX 1060. What is everyone's opinion?

hat is everyone's opinion?

What do you have now, if you have a 970/980 then the 1070 makes more sense, the 1060 would be an equivalent to a 980 in performance.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

And for $100 less, the 1060 looks great for it's price. But we'll have to wait for it to be released and for the benchmarks to come out.

What is everyone's opinion?

Why should people have an opinion on a graphics card not yet released? Besides that, I think that those comparison such as "as fast as a 980" are always based on single benchmarks on selected games that usually have nothing in common with FSX/P3D and usually those results are not even close to what you see in FSX/P3D. Fact is (already known), that the GTX-1060 will have vastly reduced shader units, pixel fill rate and memory bandwith even compared to a GTX-980, so I would definitely only go for a GTX-1060 if money is an issue, otherwise the GTX-1070 would be by far the better pick. Or, if you manage to get your hands on a second hand 980Ti.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Agreed the performance delta between the 1060 and 1070 might be greater in P3D than other games/sims, especially when you take into account SGSS anti aliasing. The difference might also be smaller than in other games/sims. It all depends on which particular bottlenecks apply to P3D. So even when the reviews of the 1060 come online, it won't be possible to infer much about the performance in P3D. You'd have to wait until a few simmers have tried them.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Actually, the 3DMark11 is not a bad readout for giving you the right directions about how the card will perform inside FSX/P3D. Problem: most review pages only give the total score which is sometimes strongly influenced by the rest of the system they used. For example guru3d still gives 3DMark11 values for all tested GPUs, but as they use a monster of a machine, the total score is useless, they should simply provide the graphics score...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It would be nice if someone (more expert in GPUs) could predict the improvement of 1060, 1070, 1080 in P3D. I'm thinking of buying the 1080 but I'm not sure if the same results could be achieved with the 1070 or even 1060.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

It would be nice if someone (more expert in GPUs) could predict the improvement of 1060, 1070, 1080 in P3D. I'm thinking of buying the 1080 but I'm not sure if the same results could be achieved with the 1070 or even 1060.

No expert, but P3D is still pretty CPU-bound even though they have moved more of the workload from the CPU to the GPU, compared to FSX. Given the choice, I'd rather have the fastest CPU combined with a mid-range GPU than the other way around.

"Monster cards" like the GTX 1080 are primarily useful when running a 4K monitor/TV or when running a multi-monitor setup. If you're just simming on a single 1920x1080 screen, the power is wasted.

There's also the special anti-aliasing mode, SGSS, which some simmers like to enable to combat the shimmering and flickering of trees and other graphics elements. At 2X, most cards from the 900-series can handle it just fine. At 4X and beyond however, it needs a very fast GPU, especially in heavy clouds. 2X does a pretty good job, but if you're a perfectionist and you want 4X or even 8X, then a 1070 or maybe even 1080 might be necessary.

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Jey Jimmi, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think it will take some time until we have some more definite tests. The 1070 price seems much more affordable than the 1080 for me.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

"No expert, but P3D is still pretty CPU-bound even though they have moved more of the workload from the CPU to the GPU, compared to FSX. Given the choice, I'd rather have the fastest CPU combined with a mid-range GPU than the other way around"

I totally agree

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

if you are getting a card get one of GTX 1060, 1070, 1080 as you see fit (afford) period.

IMO, its silly to get any earlier generation cad unless your are really gettinga  good deal... I may get a GTX 980 TI  instead of of a GTX 1060 if the price is right., 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I wanted to jump in on this a day ago, but as a new member I had to wait 24 hr.  Anyway I just bought a Asus GTX 1060 card to replace my PNY GTX 960. The 1060 allows you to do some fairly aggressive OC to the GPU, but out of the box it comes in at 1540mhz with a boost to 1700+ mhz, which was giving me a nice 32FPS locked, with almost all setting cranked.  I did some minor OC and have it now at 2012mhz, running a temp of 60c and I'm getting in P3D with ALL setting cranked to the full 57 FPS. Keep in mind that I have a home build machine with a 4790K I7, which out of the box is 4.0 ghz and will turbo up to 4.5 by itself.  I have it running stable at 4650ghz, 16 gigs of 2400 ram.  The new GPU of course and all running on a Corsair 960 SSD, so your mileage could vary.

IMO I saw some significant increase in performance with the new card and do recommend it if you want to get into the 10 series at a decent price, 320.00 on amazon.

Good Luck

Tony