Sign in to follow this  
Guest dolb

Fokker-100/70 Downloads, are they real?

Hi all,I did wonder for a long time why the Fokker-100/70 v2 package from Project Fokker gets so many downloads. It is without doubt a very nice package and all, but looking at the download numbers of other very popular freeware releases, they don't even come near.There are much more "popular" or common aircraft which get much less traffic.The original package was released at the 15th December 2004, thats 10 months from now and still it counts 9559 downloads in the last 30 days.That makes me a little suspicious. Why so many downloads? Who is downloading it? And finaly: Are the download numbers real?looking for some insights...best regards,C.G.

Guest Rockcliffe

Perhaps it includes the FS2002 version.

I don't work for Avsim, but enjoy it's many services. I do think the download numbers are real. It is not new people downloading all the time. I know for a fact I have re-downloaded items because I forgot to back it up to CD or don't remember what 100's of CD I put it on. Plus, sometimes it is just easier to find it on Avsim, than on a backed up dusty CD.I have re-downloaded the Fokker 100/70 at least twice. Plus, it is a popular aircraft in the real world, and people I think like the realism of flying what is actually at their local airportsJust my thoughts....Kevin

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

They are nice packages, that's for sure. And it's not often I can tell the wife I'm downloading a real fokker and be telling the truth.Who do you think is downloading them? The creators, trying to boost numbers? Possible, but I doubt it. I couldn't find anything on Snopes either :-lol.Seriously though, there are quite a few files that raise the ol' eyebrow when I see how popular they are, I've just never posted about it.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot-There is evidence of a leak on right main landing gear.Mechanic- Evidence removed.

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Kevin said "..don't remember what 100's of CD I put it on."Amen. That is my biggest problem, one that I'm hoping to remedy on my next back-up session. After I'm through I'll have a LOT of CDs that are essentially worthless. What do I do with them? I could only microwave so much before the novelty wears off. Same with using them as clay pidgeons. Polymer pidgeons?Anyway, I agree with what you said, that most of the downloads are probably having to download it again. I've done it too many times.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot-There is evidence of a leak on right main landing gear.Mechanic- Evidence removed.

Yep, I'm sure those download numbers are for real.As are the download numbers (27000) for my addon2 :-)(for some reason my most wanted upload ever, which surprised me as well ).Why ??I think a major factor might be, that new flightsimmers "lurking" the FS libraries just start with "the most wanted" lists.And since both the FS2002 and FS2004 version had a lot of attention, the number of downloads propels itself :-)Regards, Rob Barendregt

I dont even know what addon2 is...so I guess I better go download it! :-)As for the fokker package, I always wondered the same thing. Its a very good package, but a little obscure still at least with american air carriers nowadays. I know I downloaded it a very long time ago, still have it installed, but guess its been months since I flew it.I am also amazed at Kirk Olssens F-16. That thing has amazing download numbers as well. Thats a little more understandable because of how many countries fly the F-16.Interested in this subject, I just went and did a count of downloads on all my repaints and other files. So far, counting everything, its over 87000 downloads. Whats funny is that my very favorite (and considered best work) is my Panagra DC-7C. I really loved it. Would be an interesting thread to see among major contributors to this library, what they consider to be their own very best work. (not most popular necessarily...but the one they personally thought they did the best job on.)Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest OneTinSoldier

>Kevin said "..don't remember what 100's of CD I put it on.">>Amen. That is my biggest problem, one that I'm hoping to>remedy on my next back-up session. >-Jeremy Burch>The Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gif>>Happy Flying!>>>Pilot-There is evidence of a leak on right main landing gear.>Mechanic- Evidence removed.Hi,I recommend labeling your CD/DVD's and then use a CD/DVD Cataloging program. I use a payware one called SuperCat. It works for CD's or DVD's just the same. It's pretty old now and there may be better ones around now but anyway it's what I use. And I'll bet there's a freeware cataloger around too if you google for one. I used to use a freeware one until I purchased SuperCat.I download a LOT of stuff, both payware and freeware, and prefer not to use Avsim's bandwith to download a second time or go through a payware developer's hoops if I don't have to. So I buy slim cases for my burned DVD's and then put a paper label in the label slot of the slim case, even if I have to cut one out by hand to just the right size from a blank peice of printer paper. Because I want to know what DVD I'm sticking into my drive and otherwise I'd be fumbling through hundreds(well, about 40 in my case) of burned CD/DVD backups too!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131099.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131100.jpgCheers,OneTinSoldier

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Thanks for the heads up, OTS. I always thought a program like that would be super handy...glad to see that they exist. I'll try and find one.Off topic-your screenshots, while very nice, have blocked the aircraft! This just won't do, we must know what aircraft prompted you to place that on your desktop!:-lol-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot-There is evidence of a leak on right main landing gear.Mechanic- Evidence removed.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello Jeremy!Well, the what prompted me to have it as a Wallpaper was both the aircraft and the scenery. ;)The aircraft is Carenado's T-34B Mentor with paint job and modifications done by Eric Joiner which were approved by Carenado and are available here in the Avim library(t34a_black_dxt3.zip, 32_atc.zip). He also did a few other paints for the bird not depicted in the screenshots.The scenery is by Dave Erickson and also available here in the Avsim library(aspen04.zip) and it's very nice but does have one flaw, and that is that the tower is buried up to it's glass windows in a hanger building. But I don't mind too much and I really like the scenery so it's what I use. There is also a landclass I installed by Lon Gordon which adds the Aspen ski areas(aspen_ski_areas.zip).Cheerio,OneTinSoldierWhat you see on the windows in this first pic is heavy frost buildup that occurs during the winter time. Looks a little better in the sim than it does in my resized and compressed pic.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131173.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/131176.jpg

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing those!Wanna hear something funny? The Aspen scenery is one of those files that falls in the "I know I downloaded it once did I back it up? oh well too many discs I'll just d/l AGAIN" category. ROFL :-lol :-lolPretty plane too.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot-There is evidence of a leak on right main landing gear.Mechanic- Evidence removed.

Guest dolb

You know, I've been wondering the same thing for months :( !