Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

Simple graphics swap

Instead of downloading a new livery, is there a singular paint file I can swap out in the NGX folder?

When I dabbled in painting aircraft back in FS 2000, aircraft contained a singular paint file, swap the paint file and you got a new paint job. I am not sure if its more complex now, Im assuming it is.

I downloaded the newer SWA livery, and it all works great, but all the assignments are wiped and I don't want to figure out what I've done or what assignments I've done, and all the panel settings and equipment etc.. Yeah lazy I know. Not to mention the new SWA livery I downloaded (here at the file library) has a first class section of the cabin... which Im pretty sure SWA doesn't have first class?

Thanks Kyle. I see that the paint files are all there as they were, but they are QUITE a bit more complex. In fact, due to the many many layers, most of them are too large for my paint program to even open. This kinda rules out me painting aircraft - the specific livery I want is in very low demand and unlikely that someone will do it for me. 

But, I guess I can make due with swapping graphics files for someone elses existing paint work. I am not at my home computer, are you familiar enough with the graphics files to know if those PTP's are accessible and separate files that can be clicked / dragged around without messing everything up? PMDG has created this livery manager machine that does all the behind the scenes things to get aircraft liveries into the sim program, I'm wondering if it batches everything together into a singular... or intertwined batch of files that cannot be swapped easily. 

For example

open my SWA warrior one livery in Windows (the one I have all my settings correct) - find the PTP file or file that contains the graphics.

in another window, open my SWA heart one livery in Windows - find the PTP file or files that contains the graphics for it-

swap the graphics file or files... and Done.

To close this thread -

I was able to go into the files and simply swap a few graphics files without doing any damage. 

Navigate to your model, and there are sub folders in there that contain the graphics. Swapping graphics between sub folders that contain graphics of variants you can change the skin paint job only.