Sign in to follow this  
mhamilto

Any tips for updating from v2.5 to v3.3?

Hello all.  I am a longtime user of v2.5 (as long as last year anyway!) with Windows 8.1.  I have just updated to Windows 10 and v2.5 works great, even better than on 8.1.  All my controllers work well (a bunch of Saitek and some GF's).  I have multiple ORBX stuff, FTN, Realair, etc for 2.5.  I use several monitors for a widescreen out of cockpit view as I find this most realistic (was a real-life pilot in the past who finds the single monitor view not that great in terms of reality).

Now I am considering to update to 3.3.  I will install it on a separate SSD.  I was wondering if anyone who has both v2.5 and a newer v3 has any tips?  For instance, is there a way to copy over a p3d controls file so I don't have to reconfigure everything again from 2.5?   Can I reinstall my addons legally into 3.3 with files that I have purchased already?  I obviously wouldn't be running both 2.5 and 3.3 at once.  Does a new install of these using the v3 installer option affect the v2 install at all?

Would anyone out there in the know who has done a similar upgrade be able to help with suggestions?  Any help or caveats are welcome and might help many others who are sitting on the fence up like I was up to now too.  Thank you in advance.

Mike Hamilton

I think you will need to buy the V3 again, right?

My%20Signature.jpg

Yes I will need to purchase the new P3d but my question is will I need to purchase all the addons again that I have now in v2.5?

Mike Hamilton

No you should be able to use them as long as the developer has updated them for 3.3 - assuming an update was necessary. Some will install and others need a minor update but they have been free.

You should be able to copy your controls file also.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thank you for the advice.  Can I just copy the v2.5 controls file from the 2.5 controls folder and  drop it into the v3.3 controls folder?  Is that how one goes about not having to reconfigure all the axes/buttons, etc.?

Mike Hamilton

Hi Mike,

Yes you can copy it over.  The controls file is found in your AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin folder.  Make a backup copy of the Standard.xml file and drop that in to your new v3.3 control folder found in the same location.  Be sure to change the .xml of the old file so you do not have to delete it just in case you need it one day.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Great, thank you. Will do. That will make the component config much easier!

Mike Hamilton