Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Please give me advice on my current system. I plan on upgrading to a GTX 1080

It's been about 3.5 years that I built my PC. It was powerful at the time, and I still think it's holding up quite well currently too with all the modern day games like Doom, Overwatch, etc.

I've been thinking about upgrading my graphics card to an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW version to replace my EVGA GTX 680 FTW.

I really can't afford to build an entirely new system. If I could, I definitely would go that route. I'm currently running an i7-3770k overclocked to 4.5Ghz with 16GB RAM (soon to be 32GB). 

Do you think my system will benefit from upgrading my memory from 16GB to 32GB and getting a new graphics card? Or should I save my money and just build a new system later on?

My goal is to get a better experience when flight simming.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Do you think my system will benefit from upgrading my memory from 16GB to 32GB and getting a new graphics card? Or should I save my money and just build a new system later on?

What flightsims are you using?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I doubt that 16 --> 32 GB would buy you any performance..

Your system is actually quite powerful, and not badly balanced..

New GPU... P3D maybe, FSX again I doubt it..

Bert

It's been about 3.5 years that I built my PC. It was powerful at the time, and I still think it's holding up quite well currently too with all the modern day games like Doom, Overwatch, etc.

I've been thinking about upgrading my graphics card to an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW version to replace my EVGA GTX 680 FTW.

I really can't afford to build an entirely new system. If I could, I definitely would go that route. I'm currently running an i7-3770k overclocked to 4.5Ghz with 16GB RAM (soon to be 32GB).

My goal is to get a better experience when flight simming.

Your CPU is fine the 6700k is actually worse at single core (important for FSX and P3d) than my 4790k and my 4790k isn't that much better than your 3370k. Your ram is fine too unless your an Xplane user there is no point in more than 16gb ram as FSX and P3D can only use 4gb of it. I just upgraded from a GTX980TI to the Zotac GTX1080 Amp Extream and my performance boost in xplane was quite large (about 10-15 FPS) I'm not sure about FSX and Prepar3d as I haven't run on the new card yet.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Your CPU is fine the 6700k is actually worse at single core (important for FSX and P3d) than my 4790k and my 4790k isn't that much better than your 3370k.

No...  If you want to talk about workloads other than flight sim, fine, there's little difference between Haswell and Skylake.  But since THIS IS A FLIGHT SIM FORUM, let's talk about performance in say...  Flight Sim?  

Read this page of the FSX Mark thread: http://www.avsim.com/topic/329116-fsxmark11/page-50

Skylake is *significantly* faster than Haswell, mostly due to its much improved memory bandwidth (thanks to DDR4) which FSX/P3D absolutely love.  

I just upgraded from a GTX980TI to the Zotac GTX1080 Amp Extream and my performance boost in xplane was quite large (about 10-15 FPS) I'm not sure about FSX and Prepar3d as I haven't run on the new card yet

FSX/P3D are far more CPU-limited than X-Plane.  Unless youi're running extremely high graphics settings in these sims (like SSAA + high resolution) you're unlikely to see any real performance difference in these sims upgrading beyond 980 Ti level performance at this point in time.  Perhaps P3D 4.0 or Dovetail FS will change this.  

I doubt that 16 --> 32 GB would buy you any performance..

Your system is actually quite powerful, and not badly balanced..

New GPU... P3D maybe, FSX again I doubt it..

+1

No... If you want to talk about workloads other than flight sim, fine, there's little difference between Haswell and Skylake. But since THIS IS A FLIGHT SIM FORUM, let's talk about performance in say... Flight Sim?

Read this page of the FSX Mark thread: http://www.avsim.com/topic/329116-fsxmark11/page-50

Skylake is *significantly* faster than Haswell, mostly due to its much improved memory bandwidth (thanks to DDR4) which FSX/P3D absolutely love.

FSX/P3D are far more CPU-limited than X-Plane. Unless youi're running extremely high graphics settings in these sims (like SSAA + high resolution) you're unlikely to see any real performance difference in these sims upgrading beyond 980 Ti level performance at this point in time. Perhaps P3D 4.0 or Dovetail FS will change this.

I saw one post that said they gained 8fps going from a 2600k to a 6700k,the 4790k will also net you a better number than the 2600k probably about the same. When looking at CPU benchmarks the 4790k and 6700k score the same save for graphics processing as the 6700k has a more advanced APU(which isn't even used if you have an external graphics card. The single core or per core performance benchmarks showed the 4790k beating the 6700k by a small margin. As for DDR4 being faster no doubt about that but memory speed above 1866mhz doesn't really have much of an effect on gaming and you could achieve nearly the same results OCing DDR3

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks I am using mostly X-Plane 10.50 and P3D. The extra memory was for X-Plane. Looks like I'll just stick with my current setup and maybe upgrade to a GTX 1080 when it becomes available then.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU