Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

Active Sky Cloud Art for FSX & P3D - Released!

Whats your last name?

Btw, if you go to the PMDG forum you better not tell them your name is 4L0M.

Seems like a fully leggit name to me :-D

I am more and more convinced of AS2016.

Can someone link the release notes / patch notes for the hotfix?

Maybe I am blind.... but I don't find it :-(

Here's an example what I saw this morning and to me I think it looks pretty good!

Good%20looking%20clouds.JPG

Looks like a real life picture to me. I think you are cheating... You took the real plane and made some pictures, didn't you?  :smile:

Only way I found to uninstall ASCA is to uninstall ASCA then delete the backup folder it made in your main sim - then uninstall AS16 reinstall REX textures done - it will not work unless you uninstall AS16 

You don't need to do that Rich.  Here is the process to keep REX and AS16 and ASCA

1. Start AS16

2.  Open ASCA, settings page uncheck the items you want REX to control  (i.e. Sky Colors), hit save/apply button

3.  In ASCA, set to full dynamics and hit Apply theme button

4.  Start REX TD, click on Sky Colors (lower left icon), click on Sky Dawn, select dawn set, click on Install, hit ok, hit cancel (to not launch P3D), repeat for sky day, and sky dusk

5.  Exit REX, start P3D

AS16 with ASCA with REX ... you should see REX sky and everything else controlled by AS16/ASCA full dynamics.  Note that weather visibility layers can impact how the sky looks, but the REX sky textures are still there.

You only need to do this once, or until you want to change REX sky textures to different sets, then just do step 4 and then 5 again.

Cheers, Rob.

Guest tymk

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the "tint" that is forced even with ASCA's sky colors disabled.

This is my favorite sky theme:

2016-7-13_0-0-4-423.jpg

And this is what happens as soon as AS16 injects weather:
2016-7-13_0-3-10-849.jpg

I don't think I need to say which of these I prefer... :wink:

Tym

I wish ASCA textures would look as good as REX but for me they don't. I wish REX would make outstanding weather engine like AS16 but I have my doubts. Oh, man, why is always give some, take some situation with FS.

I wish ASCA textures would look as good as REX but for me they don't. I wish REX would make outstanding weather engine like AS16 but I have my doubts. Oh, man, why is always give some, take some situation with FS.

You can use AS16 with REX?!

Guest tymk

Only way I found to uninstall ASCA is to uninstall ASCA then delete the backup folder it made in your main sim - then uninstall AS16 reinstall REX textures done - it will not work unless you uninstall AS16 

Thanks for the tip, Rich. This was the only way to get back to normal sky colors for me. I'll probably stick to just AS16 for now and hold off reinstalling ASCA until I'm 100% sure this has been fixed...

EDIT: OK, being the compulsive tweaker that I am, I reinstalled ASCA with the hotfix after following Rich's advice. Now sky themes are no longer forced when the corresponding checkbox is unticked. I'll keep experimenting now...

Tym

You can use AS16 with REX?!

Yeah, why not? It's a weather engine that will work with any textures your sim has (default, REX, FEX, HDEv2, freeware, etc.) just like other weather engines.

Yes, but everybody are saying that you get most out of AS16 only by combination with ASCA, right?!

Not really. AS2016 is 'just another' weather engine, an improved version of ASN, and it will work like ASN, so without ASCA and with (or without) REX or HDE or FEX, just fine. So you do not need ASCA at all if you want to use AS16. Everything, really everything, AS16 can do, it can do with REX or HDE or default textures.

To get the most out of ASCA however, you should get AS16, because only that combination will enable the dynamic texture loading option. You could of course also buy ASCA as just another REX-like addon and load static themes but I doubt if anyone would do that because the quality of ASCA in its own isn't top notch. (According to some the quality isn't top notch no matter what.) 

Yeah, why not? It's a weather engine that will work with any textures your sim has (default, REX, FEX, HDEv2, freeware, etc.) just like other weather engines.

Not really. AS2016 is 'just another' weather engine, an improved version of ASN, and it will work like ASN, so without ASCA and with (or without) REX or HDE or FEX, just fine. So you do not need ASCA at all if you want to use AS16. Everything, really everything, AS16 can do, it can do with REX or HDE or default textures.

To get the most out of ASCA however, you should get AS16, because only that combination will enable the dynamic texture loading option. You could of course also buy ASCA as just another REX-like addon and load static themes but I doubt if anyone would do that because the quality of ASCA in its own isn't top notch. (According to some the quality isn't top notch no matter what.) 

I'm confused. After reading all 25 pages of this thread what's common to most of the comments is that only combination of AS16 + ASCA gives you the best result but at the same time a lot of the same people wish the ASCA textures would be better. So, you can get the same result with using AS16 + REX TD + SC and the only thing you'll be missing with this combo is dynamic texture loading? You can get full overcast and all that jazz with the AS16 + REX combo?

That was not exactly a quesion from my side.

I wanted to point out that it IS possible. There are a lot of topics here and in the HiFi forum about this.

I'm confused. After reading all 25 pages of this thread what's common to most of the comments is that only combination of AS16 + ASCA gives you the best result but at the same time a lot of the same people wish the ASCA textures would be better. So, you can get the same result with using AS16 + REX TD + SC and the only thing you'll be missing with this combo is dynamic texture loading? You can get full overcast and all that jazz with the AS16 + REX combo?

That's the way that I am interpreting it.  I also have a question. Can you have both ASN (latest) and AS16, both installed?  Will installing AS16 bugger any aspect of ASN, on the next run?

Thanks,

Ses

Interesting. I thought that "dynamic themes" are somehow superior to static themes (what would you get by REX textures), so dynamic themes are the same as static and the only difference is they change according to weather but you can get the same appearance and fidelity by using static theme?

That's the way that I am interpreting it.  I also have a question. Can you have both ASN (latest) and AS16, both installed?  Will installing AS16 bugger any aspect of ASN, on the next run?

Thanks,

Ses

You can, but you'll need to run the ASConnect of the version you're switching to each time you make the switch. Each has its own version of ASConnect. No other issues with having both installed, although I don't know why you would want to...AS16 is superior in many respects.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the "tint" that is forced even with ASCA's sky colors disabled.

This is my favorite sky theme:

2016-7-13_0-0-4-423.jpg

And this is what happens as soon as AS16 injects weather:

2016-7-13_0-3-10-849.jpg

I don't think I need to say which of these I prefer... :wink:

The pics reveal two different weather situation: 1st sunny summer day and 2nd a storm / rain front is approaching. Looking at the metar, you should know what is right. But interesting to see what mood can be created just be selecting the "wrong" sky colour.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

You can, but you'll need to run the ASConnect of the version you're switching to each time you make the switch. Each has its own version of ASConnect. No other issues with having both installed, although I don't know why you would want to...AS16 is superior in many respects.

Thanks for the come-back. So you do recommend that someone would update to AS16 over the latest version of ASN?  Is there truly that much of a difference to put out the $$$'s for?

Respectively asking... 

Thanks,

Ses