Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

Active Sky Cloud Art for FSX & P3D - Released!

What is the added value of having different cloud textures at LFMN?

Imagine you start at bad weather and you'll like to see a grey sky and fat, dark rain clouds. And then, during the flight, nearing the mediterraniean sea, you get that typical bright blue heaven and these nice puffy white clouds

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone of you knows if AS16 can be put on a client and ASCA on the server ?

( I posted this also at the Hifisimtech forum , but no reply ( yet) ...)  

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

EDIT - Ignore. Misread, thought you meant networking AS16.

AS16 is already working on my client --> server with P3Dv3 setup.

My question is if AS16 is able to operate ASCA when both addons are not on the same pc..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

If I have ASN installed, do I have to uninstall it before installing AS16?

Yes, uninstall ASN before installing AS16..

No, for me, both installed with no issues, version P3D (AS16).... but trial, still waiting some inpressions, and till now, i really enjoy what i saw (REX4 and Soft sets). Wait for comparison until decide with texture package, but tends to get REX Skyforce.

About weather engine, i haven´t saw yet discussions about, and some points to open discuss:

1) AS16 has XGauge  - i.e. PMDG T7/NGX, into product. REX lauches a exclusive product WX Adv Radar (Point to HiFi)

2) Comparing AS16 with ASN, did u realized that new engine has a Navigraph subfolder.... ASN hasn´t

So, whats the deal? i have my thoughts... but wanna to listen others points of view.

On test (Sorry IVAO/VAT.. was offline  :Tounge: )

CYAZ 090100Z 13013G19KT 3SM -SHRA BR SCT005 BKN012 OVC020 13/13 A2987 RMK CF4CU3SC1 LAST STFD OBS/NEXT 091300UTC SLP117

Automated ATIS

mt8rgn.jpg

Field view, after Take Off

25t8687.jpg

Just passsing "cloud pack" - Mr. Jim Young quoted about this effect, awesome!!!! "smoking" on window (sorry, its not clear on static image)

i27bja.jpg

( I posted this also at the Hifisimtech forum , but no reply ( yet) ...)  

+1. Would also like to know this as I run ASN over the network and I certainly won't move the weather engine back onto my primary sim PC. So any input on how AS16+ASCA works in a networked setup would be highly appreciated.

EDIT: And I would also appreciate a screenshot on how a full overcast looks like from FL300.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Imagine you start at bad weather and you'll like to see a grey sky and fat, dark rain clouds. And then, during the flight, nearing the mediterraniean sea, you get that typical bright blue heaven and these nice puffy white clouds

Nice example but Exbert's reply will be 'I already have that right now, without this new addon'. And that is a fair point. A single set of cloud textures can already give you enough variety. It has done so for the past decades. ;) I have flown with one set of cloud textures for years and years and never thought 'Those clouds look the same all the time'. Also because when you glance at the real sky out there things DO look pretty much the same all the time. ;)

Anyway, my answer to Egbert would be that one cloud set may better at portraying a specific kind of cumulus than another. I also suppose a certain cloud set can be a lot better for creating an overcast sky than another one, which might be better for little fluffy clouds.

Add to that the sky backgrounds: with one set you I'll have one kind of blue up there all the time but with dynamic changing sets you can get totally grey skies (not talking about the clouds but the sky background itself), greenish skies, dark blues, light blues, etc. I personally think (or hope) the dynamic change of skies will be one of the most noticeable effects of this addon.

Although I never have been a fan of REX (don't use anything of them) I think I will wait and see if their upcoming package with similar features will be any good or even better that what ASN is offering and then I'll decide which one to get (these aren't the cheapest addons!). No matter how you look at it, this IS a nice new technology. But for now: AS and HDE have served me well for years and I don't mind to keep using them for yet another while. ;)

Personally I do not really like this texture package. I like the REX textures better, especially the soft clouds. I'll wait for the release of AS16 and will try to use this with current or future REX textures. I assume the on the fly texture swapping will work with other texture packages or even default textures as well.

You're assumption is incorrect; you need both for dynamic texture loading. So, if that's a feature you're interested in, you'll need both AS16 and ASCA...

Any idea how I have to interpret this quote from the HiFi ASCA product page?

While ASCA and AS16 work great together, they are also fully compatible (either alone or together) with any other graphics add-on and weather add-on. You have full flexibility to mix and match any aspect and selectable feature set within these add-ons.

What I read into this is that it will be possible you have dynamic texture changes with a different texture package...

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

What I read into this is that it will be possible you have dynamic texture changes with a different texture package...

Unfortunately no.  According to the marketing blurb on the hifi website:

ASCA Integration for Real-Time Texture Dynamics AS16 works with any texture/graphics add-ons (including default graphics), but when combined with ASCA, real-time texture dynamics and automatic wx-influenced selections are enabled

Sean Green

No, it's already been mentioned before and is mentioned on the product page for AS16 and ASCA. If you want the dynamic texture changes it has to hook into ASCA. If you don't want the dynamic texture changes then use AS16 with REX textures or another texture sets prior to starting FSX, just like you do now with ASN and any other textures.

AS16 is already working on my client --> server with P3Dv3 setup.

My question is if AS16 is able to operate ASCA when both addons are not on the same pc..

Already asked and answered. They can both be networked but have to both be installed on the same machine. So install AS16 and ASCA both on the non flight sim rig.

No, you can have both installed on the same rig but obviously not running at the same time.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

A single set of cloud textures can already give you enough variety. It has done so for the past decades

Thanks Jeroen, that was exactly what I meant.

But you make also a point that one type of texture may fit a certain type of cloud better then an other.

I'll wait a see and make a decision later.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Just got the demo for AS16. Did they say something about soild overcast ? not sure if this soild...  :fool:

as16.jpg

• Upvote 1

Roi Ben

Just got the demo for AS16. Did they say something about soild overcast ? not sure if this soild...  :fool:

Wow, that's not good.

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired